Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
I have a buddy who had a DR650 and still has a DL650. In the paved twisties he was actually faster on the DR. However, the DL does have more power and is much better on higher speed roads. If your talking 60, 180 or 129 over Blood Mountain, a thunper will work great. On something like the Skyway or any long ride, you'll be better off on a twin, or triple. Horsepower is overated in the twisty stuff but on a longer or high speed ride, the bigger bikes will be more comfortable and you won't feel like you are abusing the the motor.

A note on the Dursoduro 750. Talked to someone recently who rented one for a day from Riders hill. He said it was the best handling bike he had ever ridden.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Talked to someone recently who rented one for a day from Riders hill.
That is cool. I looked them up, and they have some Moto Guzzis, too. If I was close, I would love to take the Grizo 8V SE for a spin. The Stelvio 1200 would fit the bill for the OP, but cost about 4X as much as the bike he's asking about.

Just for kicks, check out what inmate Bobmiller90 did to his Dorsoduro. I added a skid plate to mine, but don't have the skills to add spokes like he did.

High Country Herb screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 03:15 PM
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
That is cool. I looked them up, and they have some Moto Guzzis, too. If I was close, I would love to take the Grizo 8V SE for a spin. The Stelvio 1200 would fit the bill for the OP, but cost about 4X as much as the bike he's asking about.

Just for kicks, check out what inmate Bobmiller90 did to his Dorsoduro. I added a skid plate to mine, but don't have the skills to add spokes like he did.

Riders Hill is the best motorcycle dealer I have dealt with. They sell Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, and MV Augusta. They also have a cafe and lots of rocking chairs to hang out. I went there for lunch and ended up buying an Aprilia

Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,212
That bike looks sweet! Like a "dirt bike on steroids"!

Thanks for the replies all. Really enjoying the discussion. How are you doing Mr. Klaviator? Haven't seen you in the hills for a while. We must be riding on different days!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #20
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
That bike looks sweet! Like a "dirt bike on steroids"!

Thanks for the replies all. Really enjoying the discussion. How are you doing Mr. Klaviator? Haven't seen you in the hills for a while. We must be riding on different days!
I moved to Huntsville. I haven't been back to N GA in the last few months. I'll try to make it back on an occasional weekend trip but I've been busy lately. I've been riding in Alabama and just got back from riding the Ozarks.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,958
Do what I did: Get a 2008+ KLR (2nd Gen), and put it on a diet.

with some simple mods, I have no problem lifting the front end in second gear, and I have comfort and power for the highway - 100km/h at 4400rpm, 130km/h at 5000rpm - how fast do you really want to slab on a dirtbike anyway?

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
To the OP - I'd keep both if I could do it.

I came from the same thing... a pure street bike, bought a DR650, sold the street bike to make room ... and I was on a tighter budget.

But I'm in a strange place (south east Florida) where the DR650's charm isn't always available. It's certainly better for shorter distance commuting than I used to do, but there are times I miss the street bike.

I think it's gonna wholly depend on where you live, and the routes and roads/trails you have available to you. There are parts of the country where the DR650 would be 90% of all the bike you'd ever need, and then places like here where it's more like 25% to 30%.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Because of some other debts I've decided to sell my Honda ST1300. I just don't ride it like it is intended and I don't ride it to work anymore, so it's only had about 4000 miles put on it this year. Previous years were 3 times that. I just don't take long trips like that and I've never been comfortable riding the pig on gravel roads. I can pick her up from a drop but at 750# it ain't easy.
Enter old thumper! I bought an old '94 Honda XR650L Labor Day weekend. I'm enjoying the shit out of this bike. Once I got it running. I trailered it down to Galton, PA last week for a DS ride with some buddies. I wasn't up to riding it 340 miles one way and I wasn't sure I could trust it. It was a good choice. I was beat after a 200 mile day Saturday! Locally I'm having a blast on this old bike. I got on some logging roads yesterday that were a real kick. Shit ass grin on my face as I went where most other bikes can't. Or even 4x4 trucks. I've dropped it twice already in the crap and at 350-ish #'s, I've been able to pick her up easy and almost zero damage. I wish I could have been able to afford a little nicer one but WTF, it's a dirt bike! Who cares what it looks like?
DaveHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I would agree with others here. I have a KLR, and when it comes to strictly road riding, I want something with a bit more oomph, and better breaks. A Wee Strom, Versys, or even a Honda NC700 would be much better then a DR650 for what you want, unless you build it like this one

2000 Suzuki DR650 790cc Big bore many extras, Long Island NY

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I would agree with others here. I have a KLR, and when it comes to strictly road riding, I want something with a bit more oomph, and better breaks. A Wee Strom, Versys, or even a Honda NC700 would be much better then a DR650 for what you want, unless you build it like this one

Have you got all the oomph out of your KLR? Have you done the MC mod? I did that and it was like a different bike. I also have the KLX needle, and an aftermarket exhaust. Stainless braided brake lines are like night & day in respect to brake performance.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #26
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
Have you got all the oomph out of your KLR? Have you done the MC mod? I did that and it was like a different bike. I also have the KLX needle, and an aftermarket exhaust. Stainless braided brake lines are like night & day in respect to brake performance.
While I don't know how much 'oomph' can be brought out of a KLR, I will admit that the 2008 (so newer model) that I rode seemed much more the stable street bike alternative compared to my DR650. I bought the DR650 for weight and such, but I'm pretty sure a KLR650, 2009 or newer, would have made me just as happy up to this point.

As for believeability... Stainless brake lines, IMHO, reduce the flex, and make the brake activate the brakes harder, earlier, but they don't do anything in as far as brake performance on any bike I've tried them on. Feel - yes; performance - no. Now if part of a brake system's falures were modulation, then perhaps the reduced flxed of braided lines would aid the rider.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post

I see a fly-n-ride in the OP's future. That bike would fit the bill. Still not quite going to keep up with sport bikes in the straightaways, but would be hard to catch in the twisties. It would make for fun banter/debates with the buddies.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,739
If you already have a proper dirt bike, get a twin for the road and some light off-road. A single just ain't gonna match a twin on the road, no way. Even more so, if your buddies ride powerful road bikes, and you fancy to somehow keep up with them.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Thanks for the replies all. I'm mostly interested in how it will do on the street especially since I often ride with guys who have big street bikes. For the dirt, I just want dirt road capability with this bike. I have my tagged EXC 400 for the serious dirt riding.
OK then, you've pretty well answered your own question.

So, might I suggest you look at tires for your Bandit of the more correct type for adv riding? If all you want is dirt road capability, you can do that with tires alone.

If you really wanted to, you could fabricate a skid plate, and get a different front fender.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
davethegoat
bahhh....bah...

Oddometer: 209
Your Bandit is every bit as capable as your buddies' CB750, Concourse, and BMWs. As mentioned, just get a set of more aggressive tires if you plan on doing gravel and dirt.