Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
oh crap...... Ive been a huge Battlefield 1942 fan since it came out and still play it. I might have to get this
Yeah, any WWII buff with an inkling of video game knowledge will absolutely go bonkers over this game. It's frighteningly realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I found a new trick that has helped me get away after a ground run a few times. Fly as low and as fast as you can. A lot of the noobs can't fly the contour of the maps and they have a short window with an angle of attack from above. I've either ran away or caused them to crash into something as they try to follow me. Wish I could get points for that.

Another thing I've noticed is how can a Spitfire be in a 1-2 game when it's a 4?

Oh and one more thing. I see some planes that say Gift and can only be unlocked if I purchase a special item. Does that mean if I buy a package they will all unlock?

I'm not sure what's up with it. Though I can see that the Premium accounts really accelerate your XP. You just started playing last night didn't you?
Yeah, when I go in, I go all-in. With everything in life.

I love how fkn tough the Russian planes are. I've been shot to shit and still scored kills. I think the only comparable plane is the Buffalo.

Upgrading guns has a massive, immediate impact on your kill ratio.

Biplanes rule! I love shooting down single-wing fighters with my Russian Biplane. I shot down a bomber with rockets just this morning, man that felt good.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
oh crap...... Ive been a huge Battlefield 1942 fan since it came out and still play it. I might have to get this
It's free!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Yeah, any WWII buff with an inkling of video game knowledge will absolutely go bonkers over this game. It's frighteningly realistic. .
shit. I was afraid of that....My wife's gunna be pissed.

my grandfather was a Bombadier in a B17 for 31 missions over Germany, so my fascination with WWII planes has been with me since i was a child. He had some unbelievable stories and his memoirs are pretty interesting.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:
shit. I was afraid of that....My wife's gunna be pissed.

my grandfather was a Bombadier in a B17 for 31 missions over Germany, so my fascination with WWII planes has been with me since i was a child. He had some unbelievable stories and his memoirs are pretty interesting.
Join up and lets play!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Join up and lets play!
i think I need to.....and wait is it free? cant find a buy link
Quote:
Old 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:
Yeah, any WWII buff with an inkling of video game knowledge will absolutely go bonkers over this game. It's frighteningly realistic.

Yeah, when I go in, I go all-in. With everything in life.

I love how fkn tough the Russian planes are. I've been shot to shit and still scored kills. I think the only comparable plane is the Buffalo.

Upgrading guns has a massive, immediate impact on your kill ratio.

Biplanes rule! I love shooting down single-wing fighters with my Russian Biplane. I shot down a bomber with rockets just this morning, man that felt good.
I haven't unlocked any planes with rockets yet. I have a Kingfisher with two firecrackers hanging off it's wings that I've never used. Though you need to if you want the PBY. I really want the A-20. Those and the Beaufighter are tough. The Yak's and the Aircobra are pretty good. From what I've been reading the Russian stuff might get nerf by release time. I heard the bombers like the B17 have been nerfed from when they were a few builds back.

The Buffalo F2A-3 isn't bad. It has four 50's. The others have ones only have a 50 and a 30 which kinda sucks. The planes are soft though. The plane quickly became obsolete in the real world. In the game like in the real world, it's slow. Doesn't have much armaments and little armor. The USMC called it the, flying coffin. Sadly I'm stuck with it for now. I have a P-36 which too was obsolete at the beginning of the war.

Will be interesting once they introduce playable naval and ground forces. That would leave 4 per group. I haven't played a flying game since Crimson Skies and that was in 2000.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:
i think I need to.....and wait is it free? cant find a buy link
I got mine off steam but you can get it directly from them.

Jeffy screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 03:22 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #23
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I got mine off steam but you can get it directly from them.

Ill get it from steam then. I use it for Counter Strike and Half Life already....
Quote:
Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
I haven't unlocked any planes with rockets yet. I have a Kingfisher with two firecrackers hanging off it's wings that I've never used. Though you need to if you want the PBY. I really want the A-20. Those and the Beaufighter are tough. The Yak's and the Aircobra are pretty good. From what I've been reading the Russian stuff might get nerf by release time. I heard the bombers like the B17 have been nerfed from when they were a few builds back.

The Buffalo F2A-3 isn't bad. It has four 50's. The others have ones only have a 50 and a 30 which kinda sucks. The planes are soft though. The plane quickly became obsolete in the real world. In the game like in the real world, it's slow. Doesn't have much armaments and little armor. The USMC called it the, flying coffin. Sadly I'm stuck with it for now. I have a P-36 which too was obsolete at the beginning of the war.

Will be interesting once they introduce playable naval and ground forces. That would leave 4 per group. I haven't played a flying game since Crimson Skies and that was in 2000.
I think most planes can get rockets, you just need to upgrade the tech.
ATM I'm kind of fumbling my way arond the game and ripping through missions. I max out most of the skills when able as well as pilot/crew/research.

One guy yesterday said (jokingly) "Gravydog, what did I ever do to you? You took out all 4 of my planes and all my crew!"

Thing is, I had no idea I was targeting the same guy that many times, I go for targets of opportunity and get tunnel vision.

I really don't know enought to feel major differences in the planes either, but the 2 Russian ones just "feel" right. I found the Yak and most mid-wing singles to be too twitchy in the guns to get kills.

I've never played a flying game of any kind that was this intuitive as far as the interface goes. Most tech-heavy realistic games are way to complicated, control-wise. The interface (on PC) is phenomenal.

I absolutely love the Africa map with the mountains and valleys. It offers some seriously sick cover and great dogfights. (Not the one with the clouds-ugh)

You can safely say I'm completely infatuated with this game.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:
I think most planes can get rockets, you just need to upgrade the tech.
ATM I'm kind of fumbling my way arond the game and ripping through missions. I max out most of the skills when able as well as pilot/crew/research.

One guy yesterday said (jokingly) "Gravydog, what did I ever do to you? You took out all 4 of my planes and all my crew!"

Thing is, I had no idea I was targeting the same guy that many times, I go for targets of opportunity and get tunnel vision.

I really don't know enought to feel major differences in the planes either, but the 2 Russian ones just "feel" right. I found the Yak and most mid-wing singles to be too twitchy in the guns to get kills.

I've never played a flying game of any kind that was this intuitive as far as the interface goes. Most tech-heavy realistic games are way to complicated, control-wise. The interface (on PC) is phenomenal.

I absolutely love the Africa map with the mountains and valleys. It offers some seriously sick cover and great dogfights. (Not the one with the clouds-ugh)

You can safely say I'm completely infatuated with this game.
It's definitely more of a struggle if you don't have a premium account. After each game it taunts me saying I could have made double the experience and silver if I had a premium account. I mod all my planes as soon as they come up.

You also get rockets a lot faster in the Russian side. Cannons as well. The Russian planes are deadly even the most basic ones. I don't pick fights unless it's a straggler and he's chasing someone else. Then I slip in and make a few passes. You really have to watch out for all of those Russian planes. The cannon's are deadly.

I ended up buying both PBY's. I thought about the Dauntless but that would take half of my current silvers. 14K to order. I figure I can at least not practice bombing. I've got a ways till, I can get enough XP to make 5 on the US and get the A-20.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Great, now I feel that I'm seal clubbing flying Russia with a premium acct.

But I've only been playing ONE day!!

*When fighting I usually play fighers, and as such mostly do ground/base defense. So when I say "targets of opportunity" it usually means whoever is closest to me at the time that I can target.

Off the grid screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 05:28 PM Reason: added some more drivel
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

For anyone interested, here's what my credit looks like at an end of a game.

Here's my PBY. It sure takes a lot of setup to do a bomb run.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
So, I'm lvl3 both overall and in Soviets.. I bought my first plane i-153 m62 sumtin' (basically to see how buying works) and lvl3 unlocked a bunch of planes, what should I get, any suggestions?

I noticed that premium account bonuses can be converted from xp gained currency so if one day I can spend some extra hours playing I will get a day's premium...

I went through your stats, some of you have some serious flight hours into this and respectable ratios...

I found out replays are automatically saved, another nice feature, I had some quasi good battles (read: not tragically inadequate) that I regretted not saving but there they are...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
For anyone interested, here's what my credit looks like at an end of a game.
Yeah, I'm glad when I get more than 1k xp so not even premium can save me...

edit: (actually 10k so not too bad)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #30
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:
Great, now I feel that I'm seal clubbing flying Russia with a premium acct.

But I've only been playing ONE day!!

*When fighting I usually play fighers, and as such mostly do ground/base defense. So when I say "targets of opportunity" it usually means whoever is closest to me at the time that I can target.
From what I've read Russia is one of those countries where they haven't done as much balancing. I don't think it's really seal clubbing but in Arcade mode where most of the maps are in tight canyon's they have a big advantages. On flat ground, they're more evenly matched if you don't try to take one head on. If you have a wingman you can switch out and out gun them. Problem is that in Arcade, there's less team work unless you're on in a squadron. You're a lot stronger work with others then not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: