Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
So, I'm lvl3 both overall and in Soviets.. I bought my first plane i-153 m62 sumtin' (basically to see how buying works) and lvl3 unlocked a bunch of planes, what should I get, any suggestions?

I noticed that premium account bonuses can be converted from xp gained currency so if one day I can spend some extra hours playing I will get a day's premium...

I went through your stats, some of you have some serious flight hours into this and respectable ratios...

I found out replays are automatically saved, another nice feature, I had some quasi good battles (read: not tragically inadequate) that I regretted not saving but there they are...
I stay away from the LaGG's. The I-135 Chaika is pretty deadly. I'd be sure to mod it up.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #32
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Was looking at the UK stats. Crazy! You get a Spitfire at lvl 4. 8x 30 Cal's. The Hurricane is lvl 3 and has the same armament. A MKII is lvl 4 and has 12x 30 Cal's. For comparison a P-51D is a lvl 13 and has 6x 50 Cal. The US's only lvl 3 and 4 fighters are the P-36 and the P-40 with at most 4x 50 Cals but more like 2x 50's and 2x 30's.

In other words, if you're starting out, I'd recommend you go Russian, Brit or maybe German. Japan doesn't seem to have much selection and only a few of the planes are worth getting. Only later do you get some decent planes for the US. Still seems unbalanced or rather the progression is full of huge holes.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

There's a big 20% sale on US planes.

Finally made LVL5 for US. I put eyes on everything.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #34
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Yeah, any WWII buff with an inkling of video game knowledge will absolutely go bonkers over this game. It's frighteningly realistic....
Actually as someone who has done flight models for various flight sims, the videos I've seen have great eye candy, but the planes fly like RC planes.

They seem mass-less and hyper-responsive.

Where's the prop torque and "P" effect of tail-dragger fighters? The Zero in the video doesn't even raise it's tail before parting with the ground on takeoff.

Has anyone here flown MS CFS3?

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #35
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,751

I dont know why I fall for this .....stuff. Thinking I'm going to play a fun online game this evening! woo hoo!!
I create an account,
I sign up,
log on,
download the game launcher executable,
run it
and then click Play Game.
Oh boy this is gonna be fun!!!!
Then it starts downloading a 5.5 fucking gig file and tells me it will be complete in approx 5 days!! (It actually was at approx 200+ days at one point)
So I casually kill it, go to the control panel and uninstall the fucking thing.
Oh, and I also have delete the application launcher that it so graciously left on my computer.
No damage done other than they now have my gmail email address which I'm sure their going to be sending me spam telling about all the cool planes I cant live without while I play their cool game! NOT!

Oh, yea, I wonder if uninstalling it removed the gaping hole it created in my Windows Firewall? well at least they were nice enough to tell me it created one so at least I can go try and clean up that crap also!
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #36
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

FlightGear already has over 25 gigs of my HDD. I'm somewhat leery of installing another huge flightsim program. I bet most of it is in the 3D files and image texturing files.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #37
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
7 gigs in my steam folder......pretty typical for a current game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
There's a big 20% sale on US planes.
Thanks for the heads up, Jeff.....damn glad I didn't decide between the F4U and B-25J-1 last night. Now, I have both!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #38
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
Actually as someone who has done flight models for various flight sims, the videos I've seen have great eye candy, but the planes fly like RC planes.

Where's the prop torque and "P" effect of tail-dragger fighters? The Zero in the video doesn't even raise it's tail before parting with the ground on takeoff.

Most of the vids you have seen are probably of arcade battles....very relaxed flight models. Those effects might be in the full real battles, but I don't know for sure. I do know that in full real, you can end up in flat spins and worse if you don't do it right.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #39
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:

Noobs not knowing to push them pull. I've tried taking off by just pulling up (I don't normally do it this way) for the tail-draggers and it does take off eventually but looks so bad. The planes aren't weightless though. I think in Historic they are a bit more realistic. Then there is real flight. You're sitting there in 1st person and have to trim the props and throttles and a bunch of other things that for the majority of players don't really want to do. Microsoft Combat Flight Sim was really good at being realistic but tedious to fly. Honestly though I think you have to try the game. The video's aren't telling much.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #40
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Actually in FG the focus is on trying to model all the flight dynamics even if they are not being used in the aircraft you're flying, the property tree is present, running under the 3D rendering with a lot of MP information being transfered. It's not a combat sim, yet..

There are folks working towards that end.

Yeah, hard to go through 10 War Thunder videos to try and figure out what the sim is really like. Flight sims in general seem to make for really subjective comparisons. It's just the posted vid of the Zero had me scratching my head, why would you turn off the ground effect? And diving the plane at over 550 knots? Not sure what the Vne for a early war Zero is, but I doubt it will hold it's wing on after pulling out in a terminal WOT dive. Seems to be a lot of screenshots of major pieces of wings flying off. Do any of the planes sustain smaller amounts of damage that slows the plane down, and cripples it's ability to fly? Still return to base barely, but a total wreck once landed?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #41
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,529
Quote:
Actually in FG the focus is on trying to model all the flight dynamics even if they are not being used in the aircraft you're flying, the property tree is present, running under the 3D rendering with a lot of MP information being transfered. It's not a combat sim, yet..

There are folks working towards that end.

Yeah, hard to go through 10 War Thunder videos to try and figure out what the sim is really like. Flight sims in general seem to make for really subjective comparisons. It's just the posted vid of the Zero had me scratching my head, why would you turn off the ground effect? And diving the plane at over 550 knots? Not sure what the Vne for a early war Zero is, but I doubt it will hold it's wing on after pulling out in a terminal WOT dive. Seems to be a lot of screenshots of major pieces of wings flying off. Do any of the planes sustain smaller amounts of damage that slows the plane down, and cripples it's ability to fly? Still return to base barely, but a total wreck once landed?
Oh yeah, shots do damage to whatever structure they land on, and your plane is adversely effected as such. I had a nose hit just a while ago where I couldn't target my guns.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #42
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Hmm, will it fit?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #43
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,549
As the others have posted, arcade battles use much simpler flight models and everyone says that the planes handle a lot more similar to each other in that game mode. Since you have a lot of experience, try looking at some "full real battles" (youtube that) and see if they look more realistic, I haven't even tried historic battles yet (the "medium" settings, closer to FRB), but I have began getting a bit better and getting a higher than 1 kills/deaths ratio...

I actually found the 5.5gb installation download on the small side of modern games, I have several +15gb game folders, most sit a bit below the 10gb mark. Just leave it download, you can set limits to ul and dl (it's basically a torrent download), I set it to 200k/s and took about a day to download.
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Is that a B-25 attempting to land on the Lexington?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #45
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,842
ok you bastards... after about two hours of downloads last night, I updated all my drivers and downloaded the game. By the time I was finished and loaded the tutorial, it was midnight so I went to bed.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: