User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #46
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,959
OK the 'full real battles' vid with the Battle of Britain campaign gives a better idea about the flight model. Seems like the flight model is pretty good. Especially the Hurricane.

When you are flying with a joystick, are you able to pan and zoom with the mouse?

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #47
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
ok you bastards... after about two hours of downloads last night, I updated all my drivers and downloaded the game. By the time I was finished and loaded the tutorial, it was midnight so I went to bed.

I was playing till 4am last night.

Rough one, averaging a 1:1 K ratio.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #48
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
When you are flying with a joystick, are you able to pan and zoom with the mouse?
I think it can be set up that way, but I don't know for sure. Most of the guys that I'm aware of doing FRB videos use a TrackIR setup for their pan.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #49
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

ive got nearly 600 hours into Battlefield 2, so im not new to doing things like that....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #50
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,992
Quote:
Is that a B-25 attempting to land on the Lexington?
It's an A-20. I believe the carrier is a Yorktown Class.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #51
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

With all the ramming and planes in such a small area, that's still decent in Arcade mode. I'm usually lucky to shoot down one plane but I rack up ground targets. Too bad they aren't worth as many points.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #52
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
OK the 'full real battles' vid with the Battle of Britain campaign gives a better idea about the flight model. Seems like the flight model is pretty good. Especially the Hurricane.

No personal opinion since I haven't tried it, but more experienced players basically say that you're as good as dead if you step into a FRB without a proper control setup. I will test flight a plane in FRB mode (it is available) and see. I believe the inability to maintain steady analogue turning will be the main problem.
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #53
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

I just tried it, the main issue is that in FRB the mouse controls the stick (analogically, the further from the center the further the stick travels) and it gives a firm control BUT, if you want to look around you must press c and move the mouse so you can't look left for example and adjust your turn at the same time, so it's impossible to have any fighting chance... A mouse plus a head tracking solution might me viable (and fun) though...

As far as flying in FLB, it took me 5 attempts to actually take off, the plane feels nothing like in arcade mode, it responds very "loosely" and you also get other effects like heavy shaking when pushing hard and other stuff. Needless to say I crashed a while later when trying to do some maneuvers..

I have much more respect now for those guys in the videos I have seen...
Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #54
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Ok, finally gave it a try..... sadly I dont really much like it. The flying interface is counter intuitive and just confusing sometimes.
you bank and the third person view just goes wild so you have no frame of reference. its still fun and Ill try it a bit more before i decide to buy it or not but it's nowhere near as multidimensional as Battlefield..... Im spoiled
Quote:
Old 09-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #55
Jeffy OP
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Ok, finally gave it a try..... sadly I dont really much like it. The flying interface is counter intuitive and just confusing sometimes.
you bank and the third person view just goes wild so you have no frame of reference. its still fun and Ill try it a bit more before i decide to buy it or not but it's nowhere near as multidimensional as Battlefield..... Im spoiled
There is a 1st person as well as a virtual cockpit that's just a HUD. Also keep in mine this is a Beta. You also don't have to 'buy it'. it's what's known as a freemium. It's free but you can buy premium stuff if you want to. It's not required though. I'm not sure why they don't have a yearly subscription and not this monthly nonsense. They want too much for a premium 2 month account.

I think the game is much more fun when playing with others from the squadron. It gets a bit boring going out on your own where it's every man for himself most of the time.

The camera in 3rd person is predictable once you get used to it. Some times you have to trust you instinct like with a loop as the camera doesn't always follow directly behind the plane.

If anyone sees me online invite me to your squad and I'll be your wingman.

Jeffy screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 10:53 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #56
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

I played some germans last night, I noticed that I am already better, in the noob Stalingrad map, I was 1st most of the time and 2nd at the very least in my team. The amazing thing is that you face other players so the "AI" is very interesting...

So how does the squadron thing work? I setup the in-game chat last night, although I can't really be shouting while playing as there are people sleeping not that far away, but I guess some basic talking would be possible... Where can I see which one of you is online and how do we hook up on the battles? I guess same server, same tier decks and same nation goes without saying. But then what? Will we seed in the same battle automatically? I will log on the US server next time around and see what happens...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #57
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
So how does the squadron thing work? I setup the in-game chat last night, although I can't really be shouting while playing as there are people sleeping not that far away, but I guess some basic talking would be possible... Where can I see which one of you is online and how do we hook up on the battles? I guess same server, same tier decks and same nation goes without saying. But then what? Will we seed in the same battle automatically? I will log on the US server next time around and see what happens...
When you open up the main chat window, you'll see a squadron tab at the top (if it doesn't just open to the squadron tab). Anybody in the squadron currently logged in will show up on the left side. From there, one person can right click each name of the people logged in (up to 3 of them) and invite them to a squad. Once those players accept, the group of them (up to 4 players total) will always be placed in the same battle, with the tier determined by the highest plane in loaded in all 4 decks. It is obviously smart to synchronize your picks with your teammates so you don't accidentally drag a noob running reserve aircraft into a Tier 20 battle, for example. One of the beauties of War Thunder is the ability to play on any server at any time.....you don't have to log in to a specific server. When I play, I usually leave it set to select battles on any server instead of US only. It gets you into battle faster (bigger pool of players) and I haven't noticed any performance problems, even when playing on the Russian servers. For voice comms, most of us are using Geek's World of Tanks Teamspeak server (details in the first post on this thread and the WoT thread) instead of in game voice. I suppose we could switch to the in game and see how it works....that way, people without microphones could still hear the conversation and calls for help.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #58
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post

If anyone sees me online invite me to your squad and I'll be your wingman.
cool - that sounds like way more fun than poking around el solo gringo
Quote:
Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #59
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
When you open up the main chat window,...
Ok got it.

I will try to find the settings about server auto-selection, the rest I think I have seen them, top left if I recall...

About deck building, the highest tier plane in a personal deck determines the rank, right? So, my soviet deck has 2 1st tier and one from 2nd and 3rd tier planes, that is a tier 3 deck? And if I purchase a reserve/backup plane (don't remember the wording) from the upgrades I can fly that plane an extra time? And if I crash them both then I have to re-buy the reserve? I also haven't repaired any plane nor healed any crew, where do I do that?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #60
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

This will be a whole lot easier to explain "in person" so to speak.......try to catch me online this weekend and I'll walk you through as much as I can while we're both looking at the game. If we don't hook up, I'll try to put some screen shots together to help explain things.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: