User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
VMNWMV OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Father finaly hit it

Dads in the hospital with broken ribs and a punctured spleen.

Stupid ground hog got him 5 miles from home on a lowside. The helmet save him and he will recover as much as a 65 year old can.

Damn it!!!!!!
VMNWMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
Broken ribs really suck!
There is a ground hog in my yard eating all my wife's plants, so we do not like them...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
.17hmr or .22
TCOB

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,926
Groundhog!!

In all seriousness, I've often wondered about hitting one as they can be fat & greasy= slippery.

Best wishes for Dad.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
In all seriousness, I've often wondered about hitting one as they can be fat & greasy= slippery.
I've hit them before. Good jolt, not as hard a jolt as hitting a big coon. The grease stays inside the hide when you hit them.

Tasty critters though!

OP, sorry your dad went down. Hope he makes a full and timely recovery.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 384
I hope your father recovers quickly and you get that lil scoundrel
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 192
Ouch

My dad rides every day at 72-I worry about him going down like that.

Heal up Pops!

SE
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
VMNWMV OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
.17hmr or .22
TCOB

I'm at a point that I'm thinking 50cal. But the trusted .223 will also be a pleasure.

Dad is out of the hospital after 3 days in the ICU (intensive care unit).

He is home and he says that he is feeling much better. But my Dad can put on a good show.

I can say with relative confidence that the 12 scans say that his spleen is no longer bleeding internally.

He is 1 month away from being on medicare. Luckily he had paid for personal heath coverage and will only be out 5k or so. (max out of pocket is still a big hit for someone on social security)

Thanks for all the well wishes. I really do appreciate it. I'll send them onto him.

This is exactly why I am done with getting my thrills by going around bends at 80mph. I'd rather get an XR650 and dodge trees. (like I did when I was a kid on my ZR50 and then XR100)

Trees don't cross the road and change their minds and go back across like stupid fat ground hogs in Kentucky.

Kill'em all and make greasy BBQ
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Hope your dad recovers well. Broken ribs take a long time to get over.

There's a stretch of highway near Fairfield, Idaho that, during the spring in peak population years, gets completely covered in greasy ground squirrel bits. It can be a bit sketchy riding through. Fortunately that section of road is mostly straight.

I've also come across roads that were completely greasy with mormon cricket guts, yuck! If you've never seen them when they're peaking, it's kinda like a sci-fi movie (Starship Troopers) with them traveling in packs of millions. Those things give me the creeps.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
VMNWMV OP
n00b

Yeah I can't even imagine roads being slick with bugs.

I guess every place has their own hazards. For the record, a Kentucky ground hog is thick. I would guess that these things can get 2.5 foot round.

Not something that you want to meet your front tire while leaned over at any speed.

Talked to Dad today and it is time for me to get the groceries, mow the lawn and do laundry.

The old man finaly needs my help and I can't wait to return the favor.
Besides what he did for me when I almost killed myself in a bike wreck, he has always been there for me thru every hard time in my life.

I can't wait to repay the favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
Hope your dad recovers well. Broken ribs take a long time to get over.

There's a stretch of highway near Fairfield, Idaho that, during the spring in peak population years, gets completely covered in greasy ground squirrel bits. It can be a bit sketchy riding through. Fortunately that section of road is mostly straight.

I've also come across roads that were completely greasy with mormon cricket guts, yuck! If you've never seen them when they're peaking, it's kinda like a sci-fi movie (Starship Troopers) with them traveling in packs of millions. Those things give me the creeps.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
lineareagle
philomath

Oddometer: 502
Hey, I'm 65 and recently broke a couple. Fear not we are made of tougher stuff than you whipper snappers.

Just don't make him laugh too much, or sneeze, or roll around on the ground or . . .

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I will be 62 in less than a month. The thought of something happening like this to me is constantly in the back of my mind.

Your father has been added to my prayer list.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Wish your Dad a quick recovery. The old body after 60 in my case is not the same anymore.

I remember riding into a swarm of flying ants at low speed, when I was 17. After I cleared, I had to stop and get them out of my helmet, eyes etc. that was a loong time ago.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
riddare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
well wishes for your Dad

Hate to hear about your Dad. Hope he fully recovers. I am 7wks. from a similiar incident with a deer. My first thoughts were similiar to yours about recovery and riding. I have since been back on my dirt bike, my KLR, and my sport bike. I think my back road days of touring have come to a halt after 50yrs of riding. Just too many stories like yours and mine and many others. By the way I am 61 years young and still love riding and I bet your Dad will be back up and riding before you know it. Just because we are old we aint thru yet. Like we all know. Riding keeps us young. Wishing your Dad all the best and my prayers for a speedy recovery. Alan
riddare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
I was on the way from downtown Anderson CA to Rick Meyer's in May, on my FJR, on a twisty two-lane. Came around a sweeper at around 45, leaning pretty good, and here comes this ground squirrel loping across the road right in my path. Had that 'Oh, shit!' moment, remembered a tip to ride over critters as upright as possible, so leaned a little more then straightened out right as the squirrel disappeared from view just to the right of my wheel, heard a loud THUMP and then leaned again to make the curve. Looked in my right mirror as I pulled away and saw the squirrel bouncing up and down before gathering itself and running back off the road.

Amazing how much, and how quickly you can think in a crisis. When I arrived at Rick's, I checked the bike to see where the squirrel hit. A little dust was knocked off on the front right side of the lower edge of the fairing... must have just brushed his head. Lucky for both of us!

Best wishes to your Dad.