User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
saucier OP
The Sauce

Oddometer: 9
And yet another deer vs bmw story

Awesome day, Pittsburgh to Athens (for the Paw Paw Festival) and back. Great roads and a great time. At 9:00 PM, Five minutes from home (after 4 hours of riding) two deer decided to ruin my evening. I must have been going around 40, definitely not pushing it. Dodged one deer and hit the other. Flew over my bike and the deer.

Slid down the road. Was wearing KLiM Overland suit (held up very well, a couple holes), Knox Recon gloves (scaphoid protection on them worked as advertised!), a AGV AX-8 Dual took a big hit and slide, and Alpine Stars Scout boots (scuff on the toes). Honestly, without that gear I would not be writing this now.

The BMW is pretty messed up on the front and my just powder coated panniers are scrap.

Slight concussion and sore body. Will never forget what it was like to be laid on the street with the wind knocked out of me. I had the hardest time crawling to the curb and standing up. Bizarre seeing my bike on its side, 4 pounds of paw paws and paw paw fest souvenirs strewn on the road.

Be careful riding everyone and any hunters out there, shoot a deer for me!

Here's a link to the damage.
saucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,380
Ouch. Looks like the gear did the job it was designed to do.

Bike doesn't seem too bad except cosmetic stuff. Did you ride it home or tow it back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
saucier OP
The Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post

Bike doesn't seem too bad except cosmetic stuff. Did you ride it home or tow it back?
It was towed. I was towed too. Definite concussion so they wanted to do a CT scan and also x-ray my chest and hand for broken bones. I was completely disoriented at the scene. At the time it didn't even really register that I had been in a accident. I pushed the kill switch on the bike, and started picking pieces of bike and paw paws off the street. Called my wife to let her know and ten minutes later called her again to let her know - had no recollection that I had called her before.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Glad you're OK! The bike is just a thing, and you'll fix it. Another great example of why good gear is worth the expense. It helps make sure you get home.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Dingo Joe
Frick You...

Oddometer: 4,820
never heard of PawPaw Fest, how was it. I planted 3 trees this spring...
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Dingo Joe
Frick You...

Oddometer: 4,820
ps - glad you're ok...
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Seems that they're more of a hazard than cages at the moment......... Did 1000kms round the kootenays last Thursday/Friday, and spent almost every second scanning for deer.........
Glad your ok....for sure the gear works.....
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucier View Post
Called my wife to let her know and ten minutes later called her again to let her know - had no recollection that I had called her before.
That's fucking scary right there! Man, I'm renewing my hunting liscense asap. Had a concusion early this year, couldn't remember who was president......some people have told me to remain that way. Really glad you're OK.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Sharps-Nut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Ouch

I hit one just about one year ago. On a at 40-50. Same story gear saved me some injuries. I still had three broken ribs a badly bruised lung and back out badly in two spots. Three days in the hospital, and 10 days missed work. My back was out so bad I could not stand very long and they refused to adjust me due to the ribs. You got off lucky my friend. Glad you survived and stay off the road at dusk, dawn, and dark. The risk simply are not worth it.
Sharps-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
saucier OP
The Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Joe View Post
never heard of PawPaw Fest, how was it. I planted 3 trees this spring...
Ohio Paw Paw Festival.

I had a good time. It's kind of a stoner/hippy convention with a really friendly vibe. There's all sorts of local craftspeople, music, food, and food. And there's tons of horticultural classes info.

I bought 4 pounds of paw paws and two saplings - both saplings survived and 2 pounds 14 ounces of paw paws made it.

And the route I took down was great. OH-26 (twists and turns for hours) to OH-550 (nice sweepers for maybe 45 minutes). In fact as I was coming home I was thinking of starting a Paw Paw Rally down to the fest next year. Still think it would be fun.

saucier screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 06:24 AM
Old 09-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
saucier OP
The Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps-Nut View Post
I hit one just about one year ago. On a at 40-50. Same story gear saved me some injuries. I still had three broken ribs a badly bruised lung and back out badly in two spots. Three days in the hospital, and 10 days missed work. My back was out so bad I could not stand very long and they refused to adjust me due to the ribs. You got off lucky my friend. Glad you survived and stay off the road at dusk, dawn, and dark. The risk simply are not worth it.
I think I was really lucky. Yesterday I did a google news search for deer and motorcycles in my area and all the stories were fatalities. The gear was so key. The D30 armor in my KLiM gear really did the trick. And yeah, no more dark riding.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 753
That sux that you hit a deer. I'm glad that you are ok. I had one run into me a month ago, and ended up with 4 fractured ribs, scapula, and collar bone broken, that needed surgery. Choosing to wear your gear saved you a lot of damage. Looking forward to hunting season so that the herd can be thinned out here in PA. Heal up!
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 86
im sorry you got all banged up. speedy recovery!!! ill be on the hunt for some deer for ya.

maybe you should invest in some Touratech Zega Pro. they are awesome for crashes on and offroad. your white ones look like jello.

AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
saucier OP
The Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirforceGSRider244 View Post
im sorry you got all banged up. speedy recovery!!! ill be on the hunt for some deer for ya.

maybe you should invest in some Touratech Zega Pro. they are awesome for crashes on and offroad. your white ones look like jello.
I might have to get the Pro's! Does the gun sticker scare off the deer?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucier View Post
Awesome day, Pittsburgh to Athens (for the Paw Paw Festival) and back. Great roads and a great time. At 9:00 PM, Five minutes from home (after 4 hours of riding) two deer decided to ruin my evening. I must have been going around 40, definitely not pushing it. Dodged one deer and hit the other. Flew over my bike and the deer.

Slid down the road. Was wearing KLiM Overland suit (held up very well, a couple holes), Knox Recon gloves (scaphoid protection on them worked as advertised!), a AGV AX-8 Dual took a big hit and slide, and Alpine Stars Scout boots (scuff on the toes). Honestly, without that gear I would not be writing this now.

The BMW is pretty messed up on the front and my just powder coated panniers are scrap.

Slight concussion and sore body. Will never forget what it was like to be laid on the street with the wind knocked out of me. I had the hardest time crawling to the curb and standing up. Bizarre seeing my bike on its side, 4 pounds of paw paws and paw paw fest souvenirs strewn on the road.

Be careful riding everyone and any hunters out there, shoot a deer for me!

Here's a link to the damage.
sorry you got wacked ... Sunday night about 9PM was blasting home from Grand Lake back to Tulsa on backroads. about a 2 hour trip ..

Oklahoma is deer heaven .. was really worried a herd of deer would coming running at me. got home safe .. looks like your number came up...
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote