ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Brahma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Oddometer: 307
Goodbye Garmin...

I have owned Garmin GPS's since their first aviation unit, and had many other of their subsequent aviation units, as well as automotive, hand-held, and motorcycle units. I have owned other units as well from other manufacturers. One thing is clear- upgrades are expensive, and like everything else, the excitement lasts only until the next model release. In Garmin's case for motorcycle use, the excitement has lasted much shorter a time than with their other products. They have proven buggy and problematic, but still remain expensive. This has led me to go another route entirely; trying to have the same functionality while saving hundreds of dollars on yet another stand-alone Garmin unit. I have been waiting to replace an aging iPhone 4 with another phone, but needed it to be water resistant to handle motorcycle use. Enter the Samsung S4 Active. This is my experience with that phone so far in the quest to kick the Garmin habit.

I've had a Samsung G4 Active (water-resistant) phone on my 2011 GS for one month, and it works very well for my needs. It cost a mere $150, is water-resistant enough for any rain storm, has a large screen to compete with a Garmin display, Bluetooth connectivity for my helmet Bluetooth system for communication, and ample storage capability. Touch screen sensitivity seems useable, even with gloves, even though a "glove" mode exists that I have yet to try. Screen brightness is useable when set to "auto" even with a smoke shield. In the brightest Florida sun, it does wash out slightly, but setting it to full brightness is not worth the effort or power use.

The S4 is mounted on the optional bar mount, where formerly, a NAV IV mount from the previous owner was located. I removed the NAV IV mount and replaced that with a RAM X-Mount/bar mount combination. The X-Mount IS solid, and easy to mount/dismount the phone, but by virtue of design, has the ABILITY to slightly rotate off-center. However, on-road bumps have not yet forced rotation.

I am using the "Co-Pilot Live Premium- USA" app ($9.99) for navigation. This allows downloading of maps and "offline" navigation which doesn't eat data time. The US map requires 1.2 GB. I opted for downloading regions instead. My understanding is that updates are quarterly. The program is feature-rich enough for routing, re-routing, waypoint storage and trip planning for my needs. Occasionally, the app, if left running, and the phone is switched to another app, then back to Co-Pilot, is buggy enough to not respond and must be forced to close, then re-opened. In use on the bike, this is of some concern, but has not yet proven to be an actual problem. Also of note, "offline" mode is not the default- one must disable data network usage within the app.

I am using the 2 amp BurnsMoto USB connector for power/charging. While using the GPS, the Samsung S4 will still lose about 1.5% of charge per hour. I was warned of this, but dismissed it as inaccurate information because I knew the AC charger supplied with the phone was 2 amps. I have yet to measure the current while in use, but even with 1.5% an hour, leaves plenty of time for statewide use. Closing Co-Pilot which turns off the GPS, the phone shows a positive charge. As I don't use the GPS 100% of the time, even on IronButts, this isn't a crisis.

So now I have kicked the Garmin habit fo motorcycles. I found an entirely capable, cheaper replacement that works with minor caveats.

Goodbye Garmin.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,286
There is a GPS section for posts like this.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 539
Interesting; my old Garmin 478 will probably give up the ghost someday soon. Can you create routes for the G4 Active like you can for the Garmin units?

bobbybob screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 03:46 PM
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 3,018
I bought a Nav IV when I got my new GSW, it appeared to be a logical choice since the prep package was already on the bike.

After two months and over 5000 miles all I can say is that it was the biggest waste of money I've ever heard of.
GPS is slow, the screen is too dim, it won't hold zoom if you change screens (always defaults to .2 miles), the media player drops Bluetooth connection often and sounds shitty and Garmin's support is a joke.
I normally do at least a little research before buying something like a GPS but in this case the prep package and my prior positive experience with much less expensive Garmin's prompted me to pull the trigger on the spot.

When I ride the bike it's the only thing about it that I dislike.......and I do mean dislike immensely.
__________________
Not for the meek.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Brahma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
Interesting; my old Garmin 478 will probably give up the ghost someday soon. Can you create routes for the G4 Active like you can for the Garmin units?
Yes.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 539
What app do you create routes with?
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Brahma OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I bought a Nav IV when I got my new GSW, it appeared to be a logical choice since the prep package was already on the bike.

After two months and over 5000 miles all I can say is that it was the biggest waste of money I've ever heard of.
GPS is slow, the screen is too dim, it won't hold zoom if you change screens (always defaults to .2 miles), the media player drops Bluetooth connection often and sounds shitty and Garmin's support is a joke.
I normally do at least a little research before buying something like a GPS but in this case the prep package and my prior positive experience with much less expensive Garmin's prompted me to pull the trigger on the spot.

When I ride the bike it's the only thing about it that I dislike.......and I do mean dislike immensely.
Exactly. I've waited and waited cot the NAV V to come out and I began thinking of what an expensive piece of Junk the zumo I owned was. I bought it expressly for an Ironbutt ride and the @#$% thing died on the trip. Garmin sent me a new one AFTERWARD but 1,000 miles plus with a black, lifeless screen staring you in the face that cost nearly a grand will make you think.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
worwig
Lost in Georgia
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
What app do you create routes with?
I use about anything (usually Microsoft Streets and Trips) to create a route, or at least waypoints. Then I use ITN converter to create about anything, including CoPilot TRP files.
__________________
Hog mountain Weather
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,069
Well, my iPhone seems to be shitting the bed so I've got my eye on the S4 Active as a replacement.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
Exactly. I've waited and waited cot the NAV V to come out and I began thinking of what an expensive piece of Junk the zumo I owned was. I bought it expressly for an Ironbutt ride and the @#$% thing died on the trip. Garmin sent me a new one AFTERWARD but 1,000 miles plus with a black, lifeless screen staring you in the face that cost nearly a grand will make you think.
What's really sad is my old ZUMO 550 works so much better then the new ZUMO's. Garmin has seriously got "head up the ass" syndrome.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
worwig
Lost in Georgia
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
I am using the 2 amp BurnsMoto USB connector for power/charging. While using the GPS, the Samsung S4 will still lose about 1.5% of charge per hour. I was warned of this, but dismissed it as inaccurate information because I knew the AC charger supplied with the phone was 2 amps. I have yet to measure the current while in use, but even with 1.5% an hour, leaves plenty of time for statewide use. Closing Co-Pilot which turns off the GPS, the phone shows a positive charge. As I don't use the GPS 100% of the time, even on IronButts, this isn't a crisis.
You will likely find that the phone is only pulling 300ma or so from the charger. That is the default in case it thinks it is plugged into a PC USB port. Thus it doesn't operate AND charge. For Android phones to pull max current, the USB D+ and D- lines need to be shorted. My Samsung S3 and S4 both operate the GPS at full brightness AND charge the phone from a 1 amp charger if D+ and D- are shorted. They pull closer to 1 amp from the charger that way. Most chargers do NOT have the data line shorted as needed to pull max charge current.
After modifying my charger, I get off the bike after using the GPS, and the phone is at 100% charge.
__________________
Hog mountain Weather
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
What's really sad is my old ZUMO 550 works so much better then the new ZUMO's. Garmin has seriously got "head up the ass" syndrome.
I fear the day when my 550 dies and I can't get a refurb.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I bought a Nav IV when I got my new GSW, it appeared to be a logical choice since the prep package was already on the bike.

After two months and over 5000 miles all I can say is that it was the biggest waste of money I've ever heard of.
GPS is slow, the screen is too dim, it won't hold zoom if you change screens (always defaults to .2 miles), the media player drops Bluetooth connection often and sounds shitty and Garmin's support is a joke.
I normally do at least a little research before buying something like a GPS but in this case the prep package and my prior positive experience with much less expensive Garmin's prompted me to pull the trigger on the spot.

When I ride the bike it's the only thing about it that I dislike.......and I do mean dislike immensely.
It is really a Zumo 660. There may be 660 threads here with tips for better operation. I'm not defending the unit, but maybe the more experienced users have found some workarounds that help.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
It is really a Zumo 660. There may be 660 threads here with tips for better operation. I'm not defending the unit, but maybe the more experienced users have found some workarounds that help.

That is good advice, I had already looked up the 660 and the only thing I can find are pages and pages of other owners with the same (and more) issues and not one solution, the general consensus is that the Nav IV/Zumo 600 units are the largest piles of shit on the market to be nice about it.

The sad thing is that many of the problems could probably be fixed by Garmin engineers with a firmware update.
__________________
Not for the meek.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
JustRon
ex-broadwayron
 
JustRon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 1,067
I really dislike my Montana (compared to Google maps on my 4.5 year old iphone), so I'm always looking for alternatives.
This Samsung looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't trust the mount (I ride mostly off-road). If someone designs a more rugged mount, I might consider it... thanks for the heads-up.
__________________
2010 520RR
2013 TR650
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014