User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
Twoupfront
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
As a GPS-only, I think it's worth exploring the phones. But I would be a bit hesitant to use my sole phone as my GPS exposed like that. I mean, if it breaks for some reason, I will not only be out of a GPS, but I won't have a phone either.
Twoupfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I really dislike my Montana (compared to Google maps on my 4.5 year old iphone), so I'm always looking for alternatives.
This Samsung looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't trust the mount (I ride mostly off-road). If someone designs a more rugged mount, I might consider it... thanks for the heads-up.
Meh, I ride offroad and use my x-mount. It's rock solid. I guess if you were really concerned you could add a rubber band around it for safety sake, but having used it I don't see the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoupfront View Post
As a GPS-only, I think it's worth exploring the phones. But I would be a bit hesitant to use my sole phone as my GPS exposed like that. I mean, if it breaks for some reason, I will not only be out of a GPS, but I won't have a phone either.
This is a concern I can see, but with my otterbox defender case I'm not too worried. There are even stronger cases/pelican boxes you can buy, but if I was that worried about it I would grab a cheap Android phone off of craigslist, load the maps via wifi and use that.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
Twoupfront
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post

This is a concern I can see, but with my otterbox defender case I'm not too worried. There are even stronger cases/pelican boxes you can buy, but if I was that worried about it I would grab a cheap Android phone off of craigslist, load the maps via wifi and use that.
Good point. It was just something that I thought would have to be considered :)
Twoupfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Can you post a pic of your S4 Active in daylight? I think you may have convinced me.

Just checked my AT&T account and I can upgrade for $199. Same price as an iPhone 5c. Hmmmm.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I fear the day when my 550 dies and I can't get a refurb.
Garmin has already discontinued repair services for the 450 (not sure about the 550).

Because I was being lazy, I was going to send them my 450 to have the damaged screen replaced last month (August 2013), but was informed that they no longer provide repairs on the 450.

Fortunately, I had previously ordered a replacement touchscreen and LCD from Hong Kong and successfully replaced both last night.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.

BillyD screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 12:57 PM
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post

I am using the 2 amp BurnsMoto USB connector for power/charging. While using the GPS, the Samsung S4 will still lose about 1.5% of charge per hour. I was warned of this, but dismissed it as inaccurate information because I knew the AC charger supplied with the phone was 2 amps. I have yet to measure the current while in use, but even with 1.5% an hour, leaves plenty of time for statewide use. Closing Co-Pilot which turns off the GPS, the phone shows a positive charge. As I don't use the GPS 100% of the time, even on IronButts, this isn't a crisis.
An Android phone has a high current charging mode, but it has to be activated by shorting the data pins in the USB cable. BurnsMoto may be rated at 100A, but if it doesn't have the pins shorted, the phone will only charge at 500mA. One way to deal with this is to make a custom cable with shorted pins. I rooted my phone, so I installed a ROM which allows to override the detection and turn the high current charging mode on manually. I have an USB outlet similar to BurnsMoto I bought from CycleNutz. It was advertised as 1A, but in reality never delivered more than 400mA. I bought a USB 5V converter from ebay. In high current mode I can run Navigation, screen at full brightness, music streaming, bluetooth and still charge the phone. I recommend Battery Monitor Widget (BMW ) to keep tabs on the charging state in the real time. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=ccc71.bmw.pro
Car Home Ultra provides a nice large button UI useable while riding https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nghead.carhome
Also Icon Touchscreen compatible gloves make a huge difference.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
An Android phone has a high current charging mode, but it has to be activated by shorting the data pins in the USB cable. BurnsMoto may be rated at 100A, but if it doesn't have the pins shorted, the phone will only charge at 500mA.
Closer to 300ma I found on the S3 and S4. I believe that they do that for older USB 1.0 port compatibility.

My S4 will actually pull a bit over 1 amp once the D+ and D- lines are shorted. It is very easy to short them with a tiny piece of foil in the USB plug. Problem solved, and the charge is fast even running the GPS with the screen at max.

+1 on the Battery Monitor Widget. (BMW )
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
What app do you create routes with?
oruxmaps (you need BRouter for OFFLINE routing from waypoints) has a great UI, and very easy to use routing setup. brouter is a little finicky to setup, but if you're used to the hoops basecamp requires, it's a cake walk.

for you phone goobers that are ditching the high priced gps units, try these:

sygic ( offline, onroad navigation )
oruxmaps (offline OFF or ON road routing/navigation, planning, geocaching, photowaypoints, tracking, STATS AFTERWORDS, backtracking, and a few other things)
osmand+ ( totally offline navigation )
backcountryexplorer ( great for backpacking )
google maps (caches map sections at 60 or so miles at a time)
dualsportmaps (offline mapping, routing, tracking, etc)

and while you're playing with them, think about what you WANT in the app's future, and tell the developer about it. they're very receptive, and make a living doing what you ask for, not to mention real people instead of a corporation.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
oruxmaps (you need BRouter for OFFLINE routing from waypoints) has a great UI, and very easy to use routing setup. brouter is a little finicky to setup, but if you're used to the hoops basecamp requires, it's a cake walk.

for you phone goobers that are ditching the high priced gps units, try these:

sygic ( offline, onroad navigation )
oruxmaps (offline OFF or ON road routing/navigation, planning, geocaching, photowaypoints, tracking, STATS AFTERWORDS, backtracking, and a few other things)
osmand+ ( totally offline navigation AND ONLINE)
backcountryexplorer ( great for backpacking )
google maps (caches map sections at 60 or so miles at a time)
dualsportmaps (offline mapping, routing, tracking, etc)

and while you're playing with them, think about what you WANT in the app's future, and tell the developer about it. they're very receptive, and make a living doing what you ask for, not to mention real people instead of a corporation.
If your point is that corporations do not listen to their customers I would disagree but since all of the products you've mentioned are
incorporated businesses maybe there is another point you are making.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Also Icon Touchscreen compatible gloves make a huge difference.
Or use Any Glove for Leather.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Or get a Samsung S4. It has a setting to raise the sensitivity and work with gloves. It can detect from almost 1/4 inch away.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Or get a Samsung S4. It has a setting to raise the sensitivity and work with gloves. It can detect from almost 1/4 inch away.
Hate to burst your Samsung bubble but all Android OS's since 4.0 have a Display, Glove Mode, setting. It works if you have textile gloves or very think leather gloves but it is of no use in the rain -- you need something more, or skin.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #28
genka
SUV hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Hate to burst your Samsung bubble but all Android OS's since 4.0 have a Display, Glove Mode, setting. It works if you have textile gloves or very think leather gloves but it is of no use in the rain -- you need something more, or skin.
I am on 4.1 and have no Glove Mode in the settings.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #29
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I am on 4.1 and have no Glove Mode in the settings.
Then your cell phone provider chose not to implement it.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 02:20 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
genka
SUV hater

Google "Galaxy s3 glove mode" shows nothing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4