Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #91
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I was not riding behind her, she was going from West to Bozeman on a Monday morning, I was working. When the Blazer pulled across her path it apppears that she veered to the right to try and avoid as the collision occured almost at the fog line. She never rides over there, and witnesses appear to confirm there was an attempt at avoidance according to the MT Highway Patrol. The forehead portion of the helemt struck the area just above the passengers window, the faceshield has a black streak at nose level where the window gasket is at the top of the window frame, if you think about the opening in a full face helmet and draw a straight line through the the facial opening, a straight steel edge like the edge of a window can penetrate this space. It was this door frame edge that did the damage to her nose and cheek bones. The sudden stop caused a subarachnoid hemmorage, I will get the helmet back, but only after charges are filed and the case has gone to court. Until then it is evidence in a criminal case. Today was a bit of a step back because her albumen? was low in her blood. My understanding is albumen affects your bodies ability to use fluids. I am learning way more about the technical aspects of the human body than I ever wanted to.

Best wishes
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #92
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I was not riding behind her, she was going from West to Bozeman on a Monday morning, I was working. When the Blazer pulled across her path it apppears that she veered to the right to try and avoid as the collision occured almost at the fog line. She never rides over there, and witnesses appear to confirm there was an attempt at avoidance according to the MT Highway Patrol. The forehead portion of the helemt struck the area just above the passengers window, the faceshield has a black streak at nose level where the window gasket is at the top of the window frame, if you think about the opening in a full face helmet and draw a straight line through the the facial opening, a straight steel edge like the edge of a window can penetrate this space. It was this door frame edge that did the damage to her nose and cheek bones. The sudden stop caused a subarachnoid hemmorage, I will get the helmet back, but only after charges are filed and the case has gone to court. Until then it is evidence in a criminal case. Today was a bit of a step back because her albumen? was low in her blood. My understanding is albumen affects your bodies ability to use fluids. I am learning way more about the technical aspects of the human body than I ever wanted to.

Makes me want a face cage like a football helmet.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #93
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Criminal case? Just wondering, since it seems most cagers get a slap on the wrist and a ticket worth less than a decent pair of gloves! Was there anything else going on with the driver, other than the usual, I didn't see the motorcycle? Not trying to get on anyones bad side by asking this and yes I believe that punishment for these types of accidents should be way worse than it is here in Florida.

If you don't feel like answering do to the courts or anything else, my apologize for bring it up.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #94
icebox OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Criminal case? Just wondering, since it seems most cagers get a slap on the wrist and a ticket worth less than a decent pair of gloves! Was there anything else going on with the driver, other than the usual, I didn't see the motorcycle? Not trying to get on anyones bad side by asking this and yes I believe that punishment for these types of accidents should be way worse than it is here in Florida.

If you don't feel like answering do to the courts or anything else, my apologize for bring it up.

My understanding from the investigating officer is thst the most common charge in this type incident is "negligent driving resulting in bodily harm"
up to $1000 fine and up to 30 days, days usually suspended. So for most people this is a slap on the wrist given the cosequences for Laurie. He said the charges would be filed by the Gallatin County Attorney in criminal court.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #95
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 293
My best wishes to you both. My 60 y/o sister broke her pelvis this past summer getting thrown from her horse. It was amazing how fast she recovered. She is already back to work and no more PT. I hope all goes well. Positive thoughts!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #96
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,643
Best wishes, thoughts go to you and her, stay positive, she needs you...
Old 09-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #97
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 477
Be very thankful you still have her. I was not so lucky. This crash happened, that is a tragedy, but now you have an opportunity to become closer than ever during the healing process. Get a lawyer to handle the legal aspects, put the crash behind you and realize that life is very fragile, and you still have each other!
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #98
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 396
Morning Icebox. Thought I would leave a public post. Just to let you and Laurie know I am thinking about the two of you. May the day for both of you be a good one.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #99
90 wt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Hang in there Icebox. I wish the MTgrrl all the best for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #100
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,174
My thoughts are with you folks and may the Gods protect you are yours in this time.
Is there a fund to help pay for things? I know these things can be crazy expensive.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #101
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 501
Howdy Icebox,

I hope MTgrrl heals up quickly, and I wish the best to both of you. Left-turners like that are always a fear of mine.
Shadow 9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #102
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Just checking in. Hope MTGrrl is hanging in there. Things go slow when you involve the brain. Keep a stiff upper lip as the Brits would say.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #103
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,552
horrible. best wishes, hope she heals up fast & well.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #104
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Icebox, just checking in. I hope you are getting some rest yourself. You are no good to MTgrrl if you get too run down and get sick. If you are back at her bedside, let her know that we are cheering for her.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #105
icebox OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Updates

Back at work in West Yellowstone, 240 miles from St. Vincent's in Billings. Montana is wonderfull except in times like these. The good news is via Phone I was able to talk to Laurie today, she was able to put some rudimentery sentences together,they were coherant, and finally with some emotions. She still has huge gaps in memory, but a few things are starting to come back. Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Back over to the Hospital again Thursday night. Stay safe and watch out for idiots.

for those folks who mentioned lawyers, the underinsured motorist who turned into Laurie's path is a barmaid, with no real means or property, the best we could recover from her is community service in Drivers Ed classes in lieu of jail time. To prevent this happening again even once is worth more than the few dollars we might recover garnishing her wages in a civil action.