Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 651
i don't get kymco scooters. (warning: useless opinion timewaster thread)

alright, i know this is a potential troll/flame/jo momma topic, but i gotta get this one out of my system: i don't understand why you'd get a kymco scooter relative to the competition.

quick context: i have a 2009 kymco people 250s as a generous loaner while some farkle work is done to one of my bikes. i'm using it to run errands today as the work completes.

also, i'll acknowledge that many folks consider them to have a great reliability/price ratio. they're definitely a huge cut above chinese scoots.

that said: they're uniformly ugly. they don't appear to offer anything but basic-to-average performance in my experience. the three i've ridden: the agility 125, the like 200i, and now the people 250s, feel really sluggish to get up to speed, the instrument clusters are dog-fugly, the plastic is pervasive and ill-fitted, and the style just screams cheap. i could tolerate this if they had SOME kind of personality or characteristic: an early bump off the line, or a unique exhaust note, or a even a pretty piece of styling.

i have enjoyed all the piaggio brand scoots i've ridden and owned. even when strapped with plastic, like the fly and the sportcity, they have a cohesive visual style and a good finish that creates a strong identity. the piaggio engines, from the leader and quasar engines to the new 3v in the fly/vespa lx and the bv's crazy 330cc, always have a certain feel and character that makes them clearly italian and piaggio. alternatively, honda cvt engines seem more advanced and performant all-around, even if they lack a distinctive feel or note.

i really do understand that kymco crams a good amount of modern features into their bikes at a good price range, and that the overall reliability is there. but is getting a good deal overall really worth such a boring riding experience, in my never humble opinion? i was reading the justgottascoot reviews and i couldn't find ANY quantifiable reason for the dude's enthusiam for the people 250 and 250s -- these bikes are heavy, slow off the line, ugly, and generally uninspiring to ride. compared to the sportcity 250 that runs the same price and is way quicker off the line (and has better midrange to boot), and ALSO has dual discs up front and much better fit-and-finish and style, why would folks be so enthusiastic for a similar price but triply blander experience?

well, besides piaggio's godawful parts/service. (go ahad, quote that. :-()

anyway, all my opinion, and lookin' to hear yours! i'm not looking to be convinced; i just like arguing scoots.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'

quasigentrified screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 05:32 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,055
I test rode a Kymco People 250 and wasn't impressed. The only thing I can really single out was the low speed steering was weird. Making a U turn in a parking lot once the bars got to a certain angle the front end seemed to take over and all off a sudden I went from pushing the bar for the turn to having to hold it back from increasing to a sharper turn then I wanted. Something about the front end geometry was odd.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

apparently the gti 300 is really good? love to try one sometime.

edit: yeah, your people 250 experience mirrors mine with the 250s. it's a bit of a wobble at low speeds.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,529
I have never owned a Kymco scooter, but I have ridden and worked on a few (mostly maintenance). There is one on my want list right now, a People GTi300. My biggest problem with this scooter is the potential for some seriously expensive electronic failure. Even on a scooter in this price range, I can't see spending $1000 to replace defective computer parts.

The main reason I like Kymco scooters is their lower price and extreme reliability. I can get one locally OTD for under MSRP. After dealing with other name brand rip off dealers, that in itself is worth a lot to me. The other reason is the fact that they are utterly reliable, and will take me anywhere I want to go, without me having to worry about them breaking down. Parts are readily available and reasonably prices (except for the electronic stuff)

No they don't have the charisma of European scoots, but neither do the Japanese scooters. And just like cars, I have never seen as Asian scooter that I really liked the looks of. They used to make some great motorcycles, but most of them are also ugly and completely bland. Some people seem to see this as "progress"

My main use for a Kymco scooter would be travel. I have done most of my 500,000+ miles of riding on interstates. I have now found several other "non freeway" routes across the country, and a Kymco would be perfect for those. If you think a Kymco is boring, try a Goldwing. You might as well be in a car.

When I want character, I take the Stella. You won't find more character than that. A vintage Vespa would be even better, and probably wouldn't break down as much. I just can't see any modern scooter, even a Vespa, having any real character. ALL newer scooters are so refined that they are no longer anything but transportation appliances. Why pay $1500 over MRSP for a Vespa, when you can get a Kymco for UNDER MSRP?

So I guess my main reason for buying a Kymco is bang for the buck. You get a super high quality scooter for a LOT less money than any other brand, other than maybe SYM and Genuine. In my opinion, the "golden age" of scooters has long since passed. Actually this whole post is my opinion, and it is not intended to start an argument, just stating how I feel about it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I do kindof like the Downtown 300 and if I can find one used in a couple years may buy it as a cheaper version of a Forza. I'd never buy one new considering the depreciation, but then I've never bought a new bike or scooter. Most of their offerings are pretty fugly, but I've seen some rather unattractive bikes (IMO) from Italian and Japanese makers too.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Appliance v. Sexy

Certain vehicles are appliances. The Toyota Corolla comes to mind. Damned fine car...no character, not sexy.

Thats how I view KYMCO scooters, and I sold them for 3 1/2 years...all the while I rode my Vespa to the shop (parked in the back!)

Great products those KYMCOs...but really an unremarkable riding experience.

Italian cars and bikes have that...."X factor" I'll call it. A sexiness, an "X factor"...."there's just something about them" that seems to be unique to the breed.

Most Asian products, at least the mainstream ones don't quite hit the mark, although they typically excel on the spreadsheet whereas the Italians are gonna break your heart, errrr wallet. But like a sexy lady you'll have a helluva good time spending money on her!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,472
I would hardly call my Super 8 150 boring or ugly. I have only ridden 7-8 different scooters but I have ridden a couple of hundred different motorcycles. For running around town, my super 8 is the most fun bike I have ridden. It's more fun than my Sport city 250.

Looks, of course are a matter of opinion.

My Super 8 at Deals gap:

For a second opinion lets ask John Burns of Cycle World:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/11/15...50-first-ride/

Personally, I think Kymco currently has the best overall lineup of scooters available in the U. S.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I would hardly call my Super 8 150 boring or ugly. I have only ridden 7-8 different scooters but I have ridden a couple of hundred different motorcycles. For running around town, my super 8 is the most fun bike I have ridden. It's more fun than my Sport city 250.

Looks, of course are a matter of opinion.

My Super 8 at Deals gap:

For a second opinion lets ask John Burns of Cycle World:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/11/15...50-first-ride/

Personally, I think Kymco currently has the best overall lineup of scooters available in the U. S.
Klaviator, you are a rider who gets the most out of whatever he rides, and I applaud you for that.

I didnt dis on Kymco's styling one iota, and I miss the Kymco People 200S (163cc actually) as I thought it was the handsomest of large-wheelrs ever. For the record, I believe KYMCO is amongst the best built, if not the best built scooter out there.

KYMCO could give classes to EVERY other PTW manufacturer on parts support. Bar none.

That said, and I've ridden most KYMCO models sold from 2008 through 2012...none of them ever "talked" to me like the Italians do.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

what differentiates the super 8, as 150cc rides go? honestly curious, especially when compared to honda's sh150i or pcx 150? this is all obviously purely subjective, but it's fun to discuss.

given how dull and kinda clumsy this 2009 people 250s is relative to the sportcity, i'm shocked to hear you like the super 8 so much!

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

you'd argue that kymco builds a better scooter than honda or yamaha?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
what differentiates the super 8, as 150cc rides go? honestly curious, especially when compared to honda's sh150i or pcx 150?
I haven't ridden either of the Honda's. When looking for my first scooter, I didn't even consider Honda because of the huge price difference. I wanted something small, inexpensive and simple to work on because I really didn't know that much about scooters. Now that I know more, I think I made the right decision.

The Honda Sh150i looks like a nice scooter but I hate linked brakes and would be hard pressed to ever buy another bike that has them unless it also has ABS. Also, the SH was about twice the price of the Super 8.

As for the PCX, great motor but I don't fit on it very well and again the linked brakes thing. I also don't really care for the styling of the PCX.

Personally, I find that most Honda's built since the late 80s have been boring although I do like their quality, reliability and parts support. There have been a some exceptions but I have never owned any Hondas except some small dirt bikes for my son and a 200 Twinstar which was my wife's first bike.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
We have a 2008 SYM HD200 and a 2009 Kymco People 150 (now discontinued I understand). They are both fine scoots. The People has a classic look that some like, as I do. It is smaller, lighter, quicker handling than the SYM. The SYM is more stable, bigger and heavier, and has a more potent engine. But the People does a pretty good job for me. I take the SYM when I need to carry a lot, as it has a rear cargo box. I like the Super 8 150, but it has smaller diameter wheels. Our two both have 16" wheels. The Kymco has been very reliable, and is easier to work on being air cooled. The SYM is a pain to add coolant to. This should be an easy job.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,319
My Kymco People 250 is as good of a scooter as i could ask for. I havn't had any problems with it. It handles good, gets 60 MPG and is pretty darn fast taking off and will cruise at 65 to 70 easily. The fit and finish is very good.

Oh yeah I got my 1st scooter in 1958.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
you'd argue that kymco builds a better scooter than honda or yamaha?
It depends on how you define "better"

If you are talking quality, then I would rate my Super 8 a step below Honda or Yamaha. However, the price difference and ease of maintenance more than makes up for it. However, the only small scooter either of these companies makes that I would even consider as a replacement for my super 8 would be the Zuma 125.

As for the rest of the lineup, nothing currently in the Honda or Yamaha lineup (U.S.) even remotely appeals to me. On the other hand, I really like the Movie 150, DT300, and GT300. I think that the quality of the newer Kymco's is probably a match for Honda and Yamaha.

OK, I really like the Grom but it's not a scooter.

Also, I really like my Sport City but the Super 8 is just more pure fun, although not nearly as capable.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

fair enough! i do dig the black wheels in that deal's gap shot you posted.