Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #31
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
At first, after buying the HD200 I couldn't figure out why the scooterista weren't lining up to buy SYM's also. After reading several forums I realized that they're just simply hard to find. I guess when the Carter brothers had the distributorship they really screwed things up. Now Alliance is the distributor and availability is looking up. Dealerships are increasing. Craigs List usually has a few. Slightly used, most of them, with reasonably low miles and good prices. I probably have the only one in Cochise County, which is larger than a couple of New England states. A rumor has it that there'd be more dealers if Alliance would lighten up and not insist that dealers take more inventory than is financially feasible for them. After all, scooter dealers aren't usually listed in Fortune's 500. Many are Mom & Pop stores, or they're scooter lovers getting by on the proverbial shoestring.

As for CVT trannys, a large percentage of new cars are now CVT equipped and seem quite reliable. I mean why would major automobile manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot by installing a transmission that's doomed in short order to failure?. I have a 2010 Nissan Altima with CVT and it's smooth as silk and, yes, rpm's do increase on hills and the car never loses speed. Thinking that scooter CVT's are the same as automobile CVT's is probably thinking that needs to be revisited.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #32
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
what a n00b

nothing wrong with the Kymco 125 / 150 / 163 engines. they aren't sluggish or ill refined and more then adequate for keeping up on fast paced city streets

oh but the LEADER engine blah blah blah

fit, finish, aesthetics? Kymco's may be "strapped with plastic" (lol) but its durable plastic and several cuts above a chinese scooter. the value built into the scooter is one of its strengths. you are simply wrong about the performance of the scooter, and comparing quality of its pieces to scooters costing $1000 more, at least

oh but the STYLING of PIAGGIO scooters is sublime blah blah blah

Kymco needs to freshen its model line but the scooters aren't ugly. thats ridiculous lol. they aren't "Classic" style scooters but aren't spaceship like, either. but they have a lot of models so need to go "out there" sometimes

good price, good value, good performance, decent looks, good quality and good warranty. why not a Kymco?

oh, i forgot. its not a Piaggio

and instead of comparing that outdated loaner 250 you have to anything else on the road or from ITALY, grab a People 300 or Downtown 300 next time, and you might think different.

oh, but i bet the new Piaggio 350's are just HEAVEN!!

DudeClone screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 01:33 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #33
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
i don't understand why you'd get a kymco scooter relative to the competition.
Depends on the competition and the budget. It's just "how much do I get for my money".
In Europe people usually choose between the cheap Chinese garbage and the luxury substandard Piaggio/Peugeot and luxury high quality Japanese scooters. (BMWs have super luxury price, that's not my wallet, no matter what their quality might be.)
And then there are some manufacturers (like Kymco and Sym) with medium price and reasonable quality (probably inferior to Honda, but surely better than Piaggio).
My Kymco Xciting 500 is approaching 50000km and was priced about 2/3 of the Japanese.
I still don't regret it, I bought another (smaller) Kymco Yager 125!
And with my new Yager 125 I just made an IBA ride (>1000 miles in <24h).
Kymcos gave me some minor hassles, but never broke down. I always could leave home and come back again.

(And yes, I had/have Chinese and Piaggio scooters for >15000km each. I've learned some lessons.)

alicethomas screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 02:38 AM
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #34
Trucker jay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Kymco is only bad at two things 1. Scooter names 2. Calling a scooter with a 16? Cc engine a 200 in the name or badging.
Trucker jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #35
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Full moon thread
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #36
guzziknight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
There's a fellow on Yarisworld.com with over 500k on his Yaris Jerry...amazing with normal, good maintenance just like you'd give yours, and only a couple of replacement components.

I love my 2011 Yaris, its been a much more reliable, zero expense car than my former Mini Cooper S. No surprise (Not as sexy or fun to drive, but Im not into that in my cars anymore) but my goal is to keep it, and drive the hell out of for 10 to 15 years.

The Yaris is built 100% in Japan, while the Fiats are built in Toluca Mexico. Just saying. If I were a betting man, Id put my money on the Yaris for both reliability and durability, but also lower cost of ownership.
+1. 2008 Yaris Sedan, 70K miles, no problems! In the market for a scooter, probably a Sportcity 250 at this point.
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #37
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
just want to comment for OP that i think the Fly 150 is the best looking scooter, period. but it doesn't mean its the only scooter worthy. or scooters which follow closely in its foot steps

I bet our Kymco rider here would whup that Fly rider up there in a cat fight

however her scooter is ugly. or at least the paint scheme is. wtf, Kymco?

DudeClone screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 06:33 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #38
petrol42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
quasigentrified: I got a Kymco Super 8 for it's reputation, price and sporty look.

I've never had the opportunity to ride a Piaggio or any other Italian scooter but I can say that my Super 8 does have some character to it and it's firm suspension gives it some cornering advantages over my softly sprung cheap china scooter I use to have.

You mention that you don't like the styling of Kymcos but looks are subjective and everyone is going to like different things. If that weren't the case, car and motorcycle manufacturers would make one kind of vehicle but they don't. I personally like the look of my Super 8 and I think it has a sporty look that none of the Piaggios have. The Typhoon is a minimalist scooter that doesn't have the fairings that a Super 8 has and the BVs look too retro for my tastes, but again, looks are subjective and some people are going to disagree with me.

I'm pretty sure Kymco has the resources to design a better engine or improve the fit and finish but this raises the cost of a scooter and people in the States aren't willing to pay motorcycle prices for a scooter.

And one last thing, most Kymcos under 200 ccs use the GY6 engine and even though this engine is pretty old, it still works great and is easy to maintain. I read on this forum that the Typhoon's oil drain plug is BEHIND the exhaust and you have to remove it to get to the plug. I had the opportunity to buy a Typhoon instead of my Super 8 but I'm glad I didn't because I like changing my own oil and it would've pissed me off if I had to remove the exhaust to change the oil.

Btw, doesn't the People 250S have dual disc brakes up front?
petrol42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,625
What you get for your money is where it's at with scooters, unless you want it for something besides riding. All new scooters are boring, they can't be anything else. Smooth, quiet, automatic, you can ride down the road and barely tell you are moving, and that the engine is not electric. Everything feels and works perfectly. A bit too perfectly IMO. An internal combustion powered vehicle should have a few rough edges, like engine vibration, exhaust sound, and at least some feeling that you are actually in contact with the road. I have a feeling most people who buy Vespas and Piaggios do so for the same reason people pay so much more for a BMW motorcycle over a functionally superior, and more reliable Japanese bike. It's a showpiece, a status symbol. I think the Vespa GTS300, LX150, and S150 are some of the best looking of the modern scooters, but a Kymco will get you there, and back, for a whole lot less money, and better reliability. I agree that they are bland and boring, but so are new Vespas and Piaggios. My Vino and Zuma are boring. The fun is in the trip, not the scooter. Now the Stella is a whole different thing. It does have character. Boatloads of it. So did all the old 2 stroke manual shift scooters. Vespa is really nothing but a name on an expensive scooter anymore. Their glory days are over.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #40
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
Jerry, new scooters aren't boring, you are.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #41
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Jerry, new scooters aren't boring, you are.

Quote of the day!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #42
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
What you get for your money is where it's at with scooters, unless you want it for something besides riding. All new scooters are boring, they can't be anything else. Smooth, quiet, automatic, you can ride down the road and barely tell you are moving, and that the engine is not electric. Everything feels and works perfectly. A bit too perfectly IMO. An internal combustion powered vehicle should have a few rough edges, like engine vibration, exhaust sound, and at least some feeling that you are actually in contact with the road. I have a feeling most people who buy Vespas and Piaggios do so for the same reason people pay so much more for a BMW motorcycle over a functionally superior, and more reliable Japanese bike. It's a showpiece, a status symbol. I think the Vespa GTS300, LX150, and S150 are some of the best looking of the modern scooters, but a Kymco will get you there, and back, for a whole lot less money, and better reliability. I agree that they are bland and boring, but so are new Vespas and Piaggios. My Vino and Zuma are boring. The fun is in the trip, not the scooter. Now the Stella is a whole different thing. It does have character. Boatloads of it. So did all the old 2 stroke manual shift scooters. Vespa is really nothing but a name on an expensive scooter anymore. Their glory days are over.
Jerry, your broad, small-minded generalizations tell the world a lot about you.

For the record, some of the best and most enthusiastic riders I know ride modern twisties. Just like Klaviator...it is what you make of it.

My wife has 2 scooters...we just completed an 832 mile trip to the eastern Sierras and back...me on my Piaggio BV-350, she on hers.

A couple yers back we rode our Vespa GT200L and GTS250ie from Temecula to Reno and back...1400 miles. Including across Death Valley. In late June. 123 degrees.

Oh, we (she included) have ridden to and around Death Valley numerous times on our modern scooters...

Man the Harley guys jaws really dropped at the last gas stop in Shoshone Ca when we were all filling up...especially when she pulled her Shoei (yes, expensive helmet....I hope we didnt overpay for it) off and they realized a little red-headed lady had ridden 300 miles already THAT DAY , on a Vespa to our first night's stop at Death Valley Junction.

I guess modern Vespa scooters are boring, huh?

What epic adventures have you taken on your, errr Stella? Lets hear about your exciting scooter rides....

Read about SOME of our boring rides here: http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Old 09-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #43
PharaohScoots
Twist-N-GO

Oddometer: 42
Nice thread, hope it stays scooter related.

Hi klaviator, Tim here, the guy on the white Burgman who could barely keep up with you in the Ozarks, and that is with me spotting you 150cc.

I had two people comment about my scooter on the trip back home to Indy. One at a rest stop asked questions for 5 minutes. He commented on how nice it looked, and was amazed at the technology on a SCOOTER.

Happens every time I ride. But I ride for the thrill not the glamor.
PharaohScoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,098
I hope Kymco ups the styling quotient a bit. I want to like their bikes but cannot get around their ugliness.

Look at SYM. Their bikes look great!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #45
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 432
Well, I'm completely partial to mid and late 80's Honda Elites. The 87 ch150 and the 89 and 90 CH250's are good looking and, in my view, perform well, have plenty of pep and handle well. The 10 inch wheels do make things pretty twitchy on the freeway, but they are rock solid machines, they do run for a long while, they can be fixed easily because they have carburetors and fairly simple ignition systems. As long as I can buy them cheap, with years of neglect, and put them back on the road for a few hundred dollars, I'll stick with them.

And then there's the Helix. A profoundly strange looking thing, but an amazing road machine. The 85-87 CH250 and the 84-86 CH150 are ugly, no question, but they have a great personality.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote