Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #46
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,800
This whole thread is about how boring Kymco scooters are compared to European scooters. My guess is that id you could ride blindfolded, you would not be able to tell a Piaggio from a Kymco. They all have the same feel, which is basically no feel. That doesn't mean you can't have fun on them, but it will not make a difference what brand it is.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Not a Dog, but it does Growl To Much on Take-off

luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #48
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,639
My Kymco and Aprilia feel completely different, but they both have plenty of character and are a blast to ride.

There are no completely boring scooters, only boring riders.

The most boring rider out there is...................well, do I really have to fill in that blank or is it obvious???

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #49
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
I finally managed to get my wife back on 2 wheels after 25 years, a Sym VS 150. O.K. it's not exciting, but she didn't want exciting, just reliable and capable of coping with town speeds. It'll still leave most cars at the lights if you peg the throttle - not a wheelie machine certainly ;), but not dangerously underpowered either.

It paid itself off on fuel cost savings after 18months and is now putting money in her pocket compared to using the car for a 6k commute.

Replacing the rear shocks to improve the handing and take the mean edge off the drop off the end of our driveway only cost $80, that done the thing actually handles quite nicely. Well, quite a bit better than any other scooter I've ridden frankly. (That's not all that many).

Very happy with it, she comes home smiling every evening and she's now looking around for a real bike, has enough confidence that she can get her mind in the right place to ride a bike again. Absolutely perfect fit for what she wanted in a scooter.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #50
Houndguy
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
I had a 07 Burgman 400 which I absolutely loved and when that went to the great road in the sky (due to my own stupidity I'm afraid) I looked at several other bikes I could afford.

I really did not want the 09 Kymco 500 that I ended up with. Frankly it was my last choice out of all possible outcomes but circumstances and money were what they were. The bike has really grown on me. It's about 100 pounds lighter than the Burgman and more powerful. It actually seems to handle more like a sports bike.

When it comes time to consider another bike I would consider the new Kymco 700 in a heartbeat.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #51
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Well, I'm completely partial to mid and late 80's Honda Elites. The 87 ch150 and the 89 and 90 CH250's are good looking and, in my view, perform well, have plenty of pep and handle well. The 10 inch wheels do make things pretty twitchy on the freeway, but they are rock solid machines, they do run for a long while, they can be fixed easily because they have carburetors and fairly simple ignition systems. As long as I can buy them cheap, with years of neglect, and put them back on the road for a few hundred dollars, I'll stick with them.

And then there's the Helix. A profoundly strange looking thing, but an amazing road machine. The 85-87 CH250 and the 84-86 CH150 are ugly, no question, but they have a great personality.

Helix, Ruck, Big Ruck, and Elite....all iconic scooters now and probably forever.
I still kick myslef for selling my '82 Elite Deluxe....in about '84 or '85.

Why, oh why....?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #52
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 467
So, if you miss that old Elite, start trolling Craigslist, because they are out there and your favorite will show up after a while. It's hardly a big cash investment.

You can register an old machine pretty easily in California, and avoid the penalties for delinquent registration, if you use the collector provision in Cal rules. There's a thread in ModernVespa about it.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #53
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 906
This thread has been more entertaining than reading Letters to the Editor in a local newspaper. Some like the looks of this scooter, some think that sucks, but they like that one. I tend to subscribe to the policy of: don't diss a man's wife, his dog, or his truck. He picked what he likes, and shouldn't have to defend any of that, unless you are buying it for him.

So, buy a Kymco... or a Vespa... or a Honda... or whatever appeals to you. If you buy a scoot you think is ugly, you have only yourself to blame. If someone else's opinion makes you change your mind and now you think your scoot is ugly, you are too easily influenced by others. Kidding aside, that doesn't happen here, so saying, "such and such has too much plastic" or "that scoot can't get out of its own way" or other similar stuff just sounds like junior high postering.

And, Jerry, really, man, I keep defending your right to say dumb shit, but to talk about a Taiwan scoot not having style and then say you are considering a Fiat 500?? One word, my friend: credibility. Even JLo couldn't make that Fiat look sexy. Then, tell us your two stroke, unreliable Stella has "personality"??? That's like saying, "I want to introduce to you a friend of my girlfriend - she has a great personality."

No need to fear 4 doors. If you can overlook the all-the-way-to-the-bone ugly (way more than skin-deep) of a Maverick, you can expand your 2-door romance to get way more selection and just not use the other two doors!

Back to the scoots: I was amazed at all the different choices when we first considered scooters less than a year ago. I guess we need to have some biases to start wading through all the options. There is a reason ice cream shops don't have just vanilla. Get the flavor that you like, and don't get all twisted about what other people think.

But, seriously... a Fiat 500??

Captain Jim (Oh, and I have a cat, not a dog)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #54
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

I have to side with Jerry on this issue. I think the Fiat is a cool car. If not for the fact that I try to avoid cages as much as possible, I'd consider getting one.......with a manual tranny of course.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #55
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,371
I'm with the Captain on this one. The 500 reminds me of the American Motors Pacer.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #56
PascalM3M5
PascalM3M5

Oddometer: 25
Yamaha riva 200

Hi Klaviator. I have now a yamaha riva 200cc made in 1987. And i have a lot of fun with thia scootrer, like you hade 25 years ago, i guess.
I will put some pictures, If, i can finaly get how to dowload some pictures , the right size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I would also like to add that I haven't ridden very many Kymco's. The People 200s I test rode had some sort of handling problem. The Xciting 250 was very pleasant but hardly exciting.

Here are my thoughts on the other scooters I have ridden.

Yamaha Riva 125. Rented it in Hawaii over 25 years ago. An absolute blast. Made me want to get a scooter.

Honda Reflex. Pleasant scooter but hardly exciting.

T max. Very capable but not what I was looking for.

BV250. I liked it and may have bought one if not for the Sport City.

That's it. I won't even go into the 200 or so motorcycles I have ridden.

Edit: One thing I'll add. I haven't seen a Forza 300 in person so I'll reserve judgement on it.

PascalM3M5 screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 06:37 PM
PascalM3M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #57
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalM3M5 View Post
Hi Klaviator. I have now a yamaha riva 200cc made in 1987. And i have a lot of fun with thia scootrer, like you hade 25 years ago, i guess.
I will put some pictures, If, i can finaly get how to dowload some pictures , the right size.
You need to use a photo hosting site like SmugMug or photobucket to post pictures on this forum. Good luck figuring it out. The Riva 200 is a good looking scooter.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #58
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I have a 2009 Kymco People S125 and love the thing!

Was looking at some vintage Vespas for my first ever bike/scooter but I just happened to WIN the Kymco a couple of weeks ago in a local raffle drawing and I'm more than satisfied with what I have to ride on a daily basis.

As far as the looks of the thing, the only thing I'd like to change about it are the ugly little turn signal pods underneath the handlebars, other than that I think it's a slick little machine and get looks/stares everywhere I go! Had a older gentleman in a brand new BMW convertible follow me for 5 miles the other day to my destination just to get out and ask me 20 questions about the scooter, that made me feel pretty good. =)

At times it feels a little sluggish off the line but that's just because I'm not gunning it for break in purposes. Have pinned it back on a long flat once though and got it up to 56mph (GPS) before I had to let off for the light ahead.

It's a fun bike, it gets me around cheap and most importantly, I'm finally RIDING and loving every minute of it!!!

Hey there Klav, I'm in Homewood, maybe we could ride sometime. =P
Indy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #59
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy View Post

Was looking at some vintage Vespas for my first ever bike/scooter but I just happened to WIN the Kymco a couple of weeks ago in a local raffle drawing and I'm more than satisfied with what I have to ride on a daily basis.

As far as the looks of the thing, the only thing I'd like to change about it are the ugly little turn signal pods underneath the handlebars, other than that I think it's a slick little machine and get looks/stares everywhere I go! Had a older gentleman in a brand new BMW convertible follow me for 5 miles the other day to my destination just to get out and ask me 20 questions about the scooter, that made me feel pretty good. =)

At times it feels a little sluggish off the line but that's just because I'm not gunning it for break in purposes. Have pinned it back on a long flat once though and got it up to 56mph (GPS) before I had to let off for the light ahead.

It's a fun bike, it gets me around cheap and most importantly, I'm finally RIDING and loving every minute of it!!!

Now that's what I call a great deal on a Kymco!!

I'm pretty busy for about the next month but after that I'm up for trying to get together for a ride.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #60
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy View Post

Well, that is cool! Congrats on the new scoot!