Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #61
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thanks guys! I know how it is Klav, I haven't really taken any real 'trips' yet, just commuting to work and local errands, never enough time man!
Indy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #62
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
This thread has been more entertaining than reading Letters to the Editor in a local newspaper. Some like the looks of this scooter, some think that sucks, but they like that one. I tend to subscribe to the policy of: don't diss a man's wife, his dog, or his truck. He picked what he likes, and shouldn't have to defend any of that, unless you are buying it for him.

So, buy a Kymco... or a Vespa... or a Honda... or whatever appeals to you. If you buy a scoot you think is ugly, you have only yourself to blame. If someone else's opinion makes you change your mind and now you think your scoot is ugly, you are too easily influenced by others. Kidding aside, that doesn't happen here, so saying, "such and such has too much plastic" or "that scoot can't get out of its own way" or other similar stuff just sounds like junior high postering.

And, Jerry, really, man, I keep defending your right to say dumb shit, but to talk about a Taiwan scoot not having style and then say you are considering a Fiat 500?? One word, my friend: credibility. Even JLo couldn't make that Fiat look sexy. Then, tell us your two stroke, unreliable Stella has "personality"??? That's like saying, "I want to introduce to you a friend of my girlfriend - she has a great personality."

No need to fear 4 doors. If you can overlook the all-the-way-to-the-bone ugly (way more than skin-deep) of a Maverick, you can expand your 2-door romance to get way more selection and just not use the other two doors!

Back to the scoots: I was amazed at all the different choices when we first considered scooters less than a year ago. I guess we need to have some biases to start wading through all the options. There is a reason ice cream shops don't have just vanilla. Get the flavor that you like, and don't get all twisted about what other people think.

But, seriously... a Fiat 500??

Captain Jim (Oh, and I have a cat, not a dog)
First of all, I simply do not like 4 door cars. They are people haulers, taxicabs. They are all ugly to me, even the older ones. I'm driving one right now (2001 Chevy Malibu) and besides the fact that it is wearing out fast, getting a 2 door is one reason I want a new car. I would of course prefer a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger, but cannot afford one. But they are my type of car. Of the ones that I can afford, it pretty much comes down to the Toyota Yaris or Fiat 500. The 2 door Maverick was a great looking car, as was it's GM counterpart, the 2 door Chevy Nova. Chevy made 2 door cars just recently, the Cavalier and Cobalt. But they are gone now. I would also like a standard cab Chevy S10 or Ford Ranger, but they are gone too.

I would love to get a manual transmission, but my medical issues demand an automatic with cruise control. I have an old school hot rod with a manual transmission I can drive for fun. And I still take it to the dragstrip once in a while. I want the car for transportation and travel. My motorcycle travel is slowing down, so I will be doing more traveling in a car.

All modern 4 stroke CVT scooters are appliances. I have two. Yes they can be fun, but they certainly have no personality. The fun is in the ride, not the scooter itself. They have no personality at all. All the character has been refined out of them. The Stella, and any vintage Vespa, Lambretta, etc. has loads of character and personality. They have that wonderful buzzy 2 stroke engine that makes the whole scooter buzz. It makes a wonderful sound (music to me) and you can smell the exhaust (perfume to me). Oil builds up on the engine and rear wheel from the exhaust, so you actually get your hands dirty working on it, just like the old days. Very satisfying. It has a clunky manual shifter, that becomes quite a bit less clunky once you develop the skill to use it properly. It has that peaky 2 stroke powerband, you have to be careful leaving a stop light to keep the front wheel on the ground. It is heavy, and has little narrow 10" tires, so the handling is quirky. Again, something you learn to deal with. Going straight down the road, it leans slightly to the right, because it is heavier on the right side. Another thing you learn to deal with.

My Stella is now kickstart only, I removed the 30 pound electric starter the last time I had it apart. So there is a starting drill. You have to use the choke, throttle, and get the piston lined up just right to start it cold, or you can kick all day and never get it started. Done right it will usually start on the first kick. The suspension is harsh, so it is a rough ride if the road is not really smooth. The brakes are not that great, but perfectly usable. And of course it makes various squeaks and rattles as you ride down the road.

It is a machine with all the characteristics of a machine. It has rough edges. it is anything but refined. It has tons of personality. I would not recommend it as a beginners scooter, or to anyone not willing to put up with it's quirks. I love them all. And if you want all that with good reliability, find a well put together vintage Vespa.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #63
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy View Post
Thanks guys! I know how it is Klav, I haven't really taken any real 'trips' yet, just commuting to work and local errands, never enough time man!
The beauty of a scooter is that you don't have to have a lot of time. You can have fun just riding to places that you have to go anyway. That's how I have accumulated most of the miles on my Super 8.

However, it is fun to go for a long ride whenever possible. You should check out BamaRides. They are very active in your area and are accepting of all kinds of bikes. http://bamarides.com/

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #64
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Will definitely check out bamarides Klav, thanks for the link!

And Jerry, as much as I love being able to pull the cover off my Kymco, insert key, tap the starter once, swing a leg over (through) and zoom off, I would LOVE to own a vintage Vespa someday! I think they ooze character and romance.
Indy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #65
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy View Post
Will definitely check out bamarides Klav, thanks for the link!

And Jerry, as much as I love being able to pull the cover off my Kymco, insert key, tap the starter once, swing a leg over (through) and zoom off, I would LOVE to own a vintage Vespa someday! I think they ooze character and romance.
I don't see how anyone could not love a vintage Vespa. They have tons of character. Definitely NOT twist and go. They are everything my Stella is, but should be more reliable. So far all the problems I've had with the Stella have been engine related. I can't help but wonder if putting a real Vespa engine in it would solve that problem. A 2 stroke manual shift scooter is definitely an enthusiast bike. It takes a lot more effort, and a lot more interaction with the bike to ride it than anything modern. It is neither smooth nor quiet, but I don't see anything good about those things.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #66
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't see how anyone could not love a vintage Vespa. They have tons of character. Definitely NOT twist and go. They are everything my Stella is, but should be more reliable. So far all the problems I've had with the Stella have been engine related. I can't help but wonder if putting a real Vespa engine in it would solve that problem. A 2 stroke manual shift scooter is definitely an enthusiast bike. It takes a lot more effort, and a lot more interaction with the bike to ride it than anything modern. It is neither smooth nor quiet, but I don't see anything good about those things.

Thankfully, for the manufacturers and the rest of the world progress marches on and the need to refine, devolop and evolve priducts is inherently part of the process. And remember, the Vespas you call "vintage" were once cutting edge technology! Its all just a snapshot in time.

Someday, some of our grandkids may be calling todays "modern" Vespas "vintage" espousing the gasoline engined GTS250 as an "enthusiast" bike versus what will undoubtedly be electric or some other form of motivation (nuclear, hydrogen, Soylent Green ?) we havent even thought about yet....
Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #67
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Style vs. Substance

Howdy,

The OP prefers style to substance (Piaggio vs. Kymco). I support his right to choose.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #68
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 643
i ain't claiming ANY objectivity or even credibility! a man knows what he likes, dammit.

jerryh: that's the best post you've made, explaining your love for the old electronics-free beasties. no presumptions of superiority or contempt for the modern; just a personal love and appreciation for the old ways.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #69
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I second that about Jerry's post. A few years ago a friend left an old Vespa 2 stroke shifter with me while he went overseas for a bit. As an old Bultaco/Hodaka veteran I was obviously no stranger to 2 stroke engines. His Vespa had a larger motor, possibly 175cc's? Point here is I had enormous fun riding it, wished he would have stayed in Europe and had a hard time giving it back to him. Tried to buy it but he wouldn't have any of that. If I ever find another I'll snap it up.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #70
PascalM3M5
PascalM3M5

Oddometer: 25
Yamaha riva 200

Thanks for the picture info Klaviator. This picture is me and my son at the borders usa-canada (lacolle,qc) with the yamaha riva scooter .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalM3M5 View Post
Hi Klaviator. I have now a yamaha riva 200cc made in 1987. And i have a lot of fun with thia scootrer, like you hade 25 years ago, i guess.
I will put some pictures, If, i can finaly get how to dowload some pictures , the right size.
PascalM3M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #71
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I'm with the Captain on this one. The 500 reminds me of the American Motors Pacer.
Oh now I have to get one. Actually it reminds me a lot of the mid '70s Honda Civic, especially the yellow one. Seems like most of those early Civics were yellow. They were super cool little cars, and I wanted one in the worst way, but could not afford one. By the time I could, they had ruined the Civic, and came out with the Accord, which looked like a bigger Civic in the beginning. IMO, Honda cars have gone downhill ever since. Sometimes evolution is not a good thing, at least for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #72
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Oh now I have to get one. Actually it reminds me a lot of the mid '70s Honda Civic, especially the yellow one. Seems like most of those early Civics were yellow. They were super cool little cars, and I wanted one in the worst way, but could not afford one. By the time I could, they had ruined the Civic, and came out with the Accord, which looked like a bigger Civic in the beginning. IMO, Honda cars have gone downhill ever since. Sometimes evolution is not a good thing, at least for me.

Yeah I would say that evolution has pretty much passed you by.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #73
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
[/B]

Yeah I would say that evolution has pretty much passed you by.
That is far from being an insult. Everything mechanical from the '60s and '70s worked just fine, at least for me. It really wasn't that long ago. I was just born about 20 years to late to get in on the good stuff at the right time.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #74
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
?

Quote:
That is far from being an insult. Everything mechanical from the '60s and '70s worked just fine, at least for me. It really wasn't that long ago. I was just born about 20 years to late to get in on the good stuff at the right time.
Let's see here: 8-track tapes, most '60's-'70's era's automobiles (anyone remember the Vega?), tube TV's, typewriters, adding machines, 8 mm movies, RECTAL thermometers., drum brakes,...the list goes on. All perfect mechanical items that "worked just fine"?

The '60's and '70's may evoke a nostalgic pleasure-center for many of us, but that doesn't mean the machines and products we rely (relied) on to help us in our daily lives were better than they are now...they just had different problems and weaknesses. Man-made stuff will never change in that respect.

People seem to forget the negative, and remember the positive is all.

These are the good old days...thats a phrase that sums things up across the board. Yesterday, today, and it will tomorrow. A "truism" as I refer to it.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #75
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
You are an absolute waste of time and contribute nothing useful to the vast majority of threads you darken. Which part of your post belongs in a kymco thread? By your own confession, if the title of the thread doesn't say "old", "vintage", or exist in oldschool, you shouldn't be there. We've all heard your tired shtick way too many times already. Go find some like minded individuals and repeat yourself to your heart's content. I don't know where those like minded individuals are, but I certainly know where they aren't.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote