Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #91
blackcat54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
To my eyes, the 1958 Fiat 600 has far more character than the current Fiat 500.
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #92
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I can't recall the author, but it went something like "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder." I guess you only need one eye to behold beauty. Makes sense.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #93
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat54 View Post
To my eyes, the 1958 Fiat 600 has far more character than the current Fiat 500.
To my eyes all old vehicles have more character than newer ones. The character has all been refined out of the new ones.

That DOESN'T mean the old ones are better, but neither does it mean the new ones are better. It depends on what you are looking for. No one car or bike is "best", or even "better" It depends on what you want it for.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #94
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,101
Well, now that we've wandered down a different path, and we all get to inject our own opinion (free of charge), there are new car models that visually striking.

I had a '69 Firebird back in the day. I remember it stirred me more than the Camaro. Since only the Camaro is an option these days, I have to say the new Camaro is a better looking car (IMHO) than back in the 60s. Lean towards European sports cars? The newest Porsche 911 is better looking than the 60s versions of the same.

I agree that most sedans have a similar designed-with-a-wind-tunnel look.

Bringing it back towards motorcycles, most of the new bikes are more pleasing to my eye than bikes built 30 years ago. For full disclosure, I like the styling of the Honda PCX better than a Vespa. It's all a matter of taste.

The really good part of all this is: options... lots of options. If you have the budget, you can have the latest technology and customize it to your tastes. Not so much budget? Go for a "classic". Just like the older styles? You can keep most anything on the road these days, if you have the skills or the bucks.

Jerry may have softened a bit here, allowing that old stuff "may not be better" than new. Let's all form a circle, hold hands, and sing Kumbaya.

Captain Jim
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #95
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Re Fiat 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Me too.
But Neither of us is on the internet prounouncing it a better car than the ones they build today.
True dat, saw one today and thought my wife's old Fiat 850 was soooo much betta.
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #96
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
If you look at new sedans it appears, at least to my eyes, as if they were all designed in the same wind tunnel by the same engineers.

That's a nice -looking Fiat 850, shirker. Back in the seventies a friend got drafted and left his 850 convertible with me (was it called a 124?) for a year. It ran perfectly and was a hoot to drive.

Back on topic, there are two Kymco 150's in town. Both owners report that they are dependable and trouble-free. They both have heard of the SYM, but mine is the first one either of them has ever seen.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #97
JerryH
Banned

Would you believe the Fiat 500 2 door version is being dropped in favor of a FOUR DOOR version? What is it with the damn 4 door thing? You can't even buy a 2 door car anymore, unless it is an expensive sports car. They could have kept the 2 door in the lineup. Looks like it is coming down to the Toyota Yaris.

Anything can have problems, but Kymco scooters are as reliable as anything out there, and moreso than most, including the high dollar Vespas. If you want reliable transportation with a reasonable price, get a Kymco. If you want style, an image, and a fancy name that gets attention, then get a Vespa. But don't expect higher quality and reliability for all that extra money. It just depends on what you want, and there is nothing wrong with wanting either.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #98
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Would you believe the Fiat 500 2 door version is being dropped in favor of a FOUR DOOR version? What is it with the damn 4 door thing? You can't even buy a 2 door car anymore, unless it is an expensive sports car. They could have kept the 2 door in the lineup. Looks like it is coming down to the Toyota Yaris.

Anything can have problems, but Kymco scooters are as reliable as anything out there, and moreso than most, including the high dollar Vespas. If you want reliable transportation with a reasonable price, get a Kymco. If you want style, an image, and a fancy name that gets attention, then get a Vespa. But don't expect higher quality and reliability for all that extra money. It just depends on what you want, and there is nothing wrong with wanting either.
Jerry, are you SURE the 2 door is going away? I sincerely doubt that since the 4 door was added to give Fiat dealers more models to sell, not the same number of 1. And arguably, the coupe is the quintessential Fiat 500 and always will. be. I'd re-check your info source on that...seriously.

On this I'm going to have to agree with you; the Vespa is NOT more reliable then a Kymco.

But then neither is a BMW or Mercedes car, more relaible than say a Corolla or an Avalon. I've owned both and can speak from experience.

What you DO get with a Vespa, or a BMW or a Mercedes, or a Harley etc. is an experience that is often imitated, and never duplicated. That's the difference...the "X" factor. And "YES" it typically costs more, and many people want and are willing to pay for that extra "something".
Old 10-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #99
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Jerry, are you SURE the 2 door is going away? I sincerely doubt that since the 4 door was added to give Fiat dealers more models to sell, not the same number of 1. And arguably, the coupe is the quintessential Fiat 500 and always will. be. I'd re-check your info source on that...seriously.

On this I'm going to have to agree with you; the Vespa is NOT more reliable then a Kymco.

But then neither is a BMW or Mercedes car, more relaible than say a Corolla or an Avalon. I've owned both and can speak from experience.

What you DO get with a Vespa, or a BMW or a Mercedes, or a Harley etc. is an experience that is often imitated, and never duplicated. That's the difference...the "X" factor. And "YES" it typically costs more, and many peoplewant and are willing to pay for that extra "something".

That I have to agree with. If you want it, and can afford it, go for it. But the OP seemed to be implying that everybody should want and be able to afford it, and that a lesser scooter was simply not worth buying, because it doesn't have that special something, even though it is as or more reliable.

As for the Fiat, they do not show a 2 door as a 2014 model. That could be because there are still plenty of 2013 models already here, and the 2014 model will be introduced later. I certainly hope so. I will not be able to buy in time to get a 2013.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #100
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
Re Fiat 500

True dat, saw one today and thought my wife's old Fiat 850 was soooo much betta.
That Fiat 850 is a beauty. Looks like a cross between an Opel and a Vega. Gotta love those chrome bumpers.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #101
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,659
Quote:
As for the Fiat, they do not show a 2 door as a 2014 model.
your fact checking is still questionable

http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...014#mainReview

The 2014 500L is based on their Punto chassis, and isn't related to the original 500 at all.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...014#mainReview
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #102
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Warranty on Kymco Exciting

I dropped mine off at Lincoln Power Sports in Mosco Mills Missouri, yesterday, for a growling noise upon take off up to 15mph, then it's all go. Can't wait to get it back, hope it's fixed. I have a lot of fun riding it. Twist and go for me. My second Kymco Exciting first was a 250R.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #103
GOZFST
Gozfst

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Oh now I have to get one. Actually it reminds me a lot of the mid '70s Honda Civic, especially the yellow one. Seems like most of those early Civics were yellow. They were super cool little cars, and I wanted one in the worst way, but could not afford one. By the time I could, they had ruined the Civic, and came out with the Accord, which looked like a bigger Civic in the beginning. IMO, Honda cars have gone downhill ever since. Sometimes evolution is not a good thing, at least for me.
Enjoying the Kymco thread, I currently own several motorcycles, street, dual sport, hooligan , hut have a Kymco 250 Gran Vista I keep in our AZ place for the winter. It has surprised me with it's fun factor. The real reason for my comment is the FIAt (F ix I t A gain T ony)comments. You guys are probably too young to remember the Fiats of the late 60's early 70's. I owned an 850 Spider and several friends had other various models. I'd walk before I bought another Fiat. They were poorly made, required lots of maintenance and had REALLY poor resale. Before you say yeah, but that was then this is now. I rented a diesel Fiat "Idea" in Italy last year and it brought back all of the old dislikes.
GOZFST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #104
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
Enjoying the Kymco thread, I currently own several motorcycles, street, dual sport, hooligan , hut have a Kymco 250 Gran Vista I keep in our AZ place for the winter. It has surprised me with it's fun factor. The real reason for my comment is the FIAt (F ix I t A gain T ony)comments. You guys are probably too young to remember the Fiats of the late 60's early 70's. I owned an 850 Spider and several friends had other various models. I'd walk before I bought another Fiat. They were poorly made, required lots of maintenance and had REALLY poor resale. Before you say yeah, but that was then this is now. I rented a diesel Fiat "Idea" in Italy last year and it brought back all of the old dislikes.
The human long-term memory is a funny thing....deletes the negatives and remembers the only the positives.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #105
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post

I am in the market for a small inexpensive car, but don't want 4 doors. Even 5 years ago there were several 2 door models to choose from. Now the only 2 left are the Fiat and the Toyota Yaris. Toyota used to be great quality, but they have gone downhill big time. I have done a lot of research on the Fiat 500 sold in the U.S., and most of the complaints have been about how boring it is. Boring I expect. After all, it is an appliance like all other new cars. I plan to use it for transportation and travel. Very few reliability problems are being reported by owners. Overall it comes out above average. And love it or hate it, it does at least have some style. It does not look exactly like all the other generic 4 door sedans on the road.