Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Suncoast OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Thinking of a Buell XB12XT...3-5 years down the road will I regret it?

I really like the looks of the Ulysses XB12XT and the reviews I've read about this bike...I really wish the idiots at HD had kept them going because I think they were on the cusp of really getting it right. That said, I still lust for an 12X or XT...But the thing that is niggling me is down the road 3-5 years when I want to upgrade which will probably happen as it always does..... 1) do you think there will be a market for the bike if it's well kept...and 2) do you think parts will be available? I kinda think the Buells may develope into even more of a cult bike than they already are with prices either tanking or going up not sure.... What are your thoughts guys...
Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Algarve Nick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I can't see the XB series ever being cult bikes like the tubers, which go for big money in England. I think it's more likely they'll fizzle out and second hand prices will reflect that in the next few years as spares start to get difficult to get.
Algarve Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
The answer to your subject line:

It won't take 3-5 years. You will regret it WAY sooner than that.

I owned Buells. FTS.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I'll say this.

Owning a Buell is like having a 2 year old.. Sometimes, you'll have tantrums and just wanna walk away from it, sometimes it will make funny noises, some days it will make you cry, others you will smile. However if someone tries to take it away from you you'll kill em.

I have had a love / hate relationship with mine. It is without a doubt, one of the most fun, character driven bikes I have ever swung a leg across.. This from 37 years of experience. It is however, a hit or miss in terms of reliability. Mine has been 100% reliable, meaning no failures, however you do have to learn to deal with the quirkiness and not having support around every corner.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,431
There will be a rash of Buell XBs that are bought on the cheap and beat to death by their owners. Those bikes will end up in a scrap pile.

There will also be XBs that are purchased on the cheap and cherished by Buell enthusiasts who love Buells. Those bikes will be kept by the owners.

Try to get an XB from 2008 and up, there were significant improvements in the bikes which make them better running and more reliable. I have a 2001 Tube framed S3 - which I am crazy about, and a 2008 Super TT, which is awesome.
Buells offer excellent handling and tons of character, so long as your willing to keep an eye on them and do not neglect them. You can't expect Japanese bike reliability from a Buell, but as long as you happen to get a clean stock original one that has not been messed with - you will enjoy it!

Oh.. you won't re-coup your money on an XB after riding it for 3 to 5 years.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 309
The current pricing on the Buell was reflective of the Buell models that were heavily discounted by the dealers back in '09. Low purchase price = lower resale price.

Buell will always have a cult following, whether they hold their price or not is a different matter.

If you are looking for a collectable bike that you can ride (most of the time), buy a Norton or an old R6. Buell are fun bikes to ride and MIGHT have a collectable value down the road.
ERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
goldtooth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
The answer to your subject line:

It won't take 3-5 years. You will regret it WAY sooner than that.

I owned Buells. FTS.

ac
I have never regretted my Buells. Buddies have had more issues with their Hondas.

Love the Uly. Touring, off road, canyons, commuter, does it all.

nate
goldtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
You would be purchasing a dead company's primitive bike that is not as reliable as the modern dual sports offered by all the other companies and that has no aftermarket or manufacturer support. Yeah sounds like a good idea to me.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,988
I give you 3-5 weeks. Tops.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,125
The Uly is not for everyone.....but its for me. 30+ yrs of riding and I love my Uly. Quirks and all......

You will learn to work on it......but then again there are lots of bike owners whose first thought at the slightest trouble is Speed dial the dealer on their Iphone......yep the Uly is not for them
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Suncoast OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I give you 3-5 weeks. Tops.
Not sure what you mean...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
Suncoast OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
The Uly is not for everyone.....but its for me. 30+ yrs of riding and I love my Uly. Quirks and all......

You will learn to work on it......but then again there are lots of bike owners whose first thought at the slightest trouble is Speed dial the dealer on their Iphone......yep the Uly is not for them
.....Gotta Guzzi now ...... I'm used to fending for myself,,,,
Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast View Post
Not sure what you mean...
I'm a bit of a Buell skeptic so I was just being an ass changing your years to weeks.
They just seem to demand a lot of their owners patience.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
You would be purchasing a dead company's primitive bike that is not as reliable as the modern dual sports offered by all the other companies and that has no aftermarket or manufacturer support. Yeah sounds like a good idea to me.
Apart from the engine, which is a great street bike engine despite its "primitive" design, WTF is "primitive" about it? Fully adjustable suspension front and rear, USD forks, aggressive steering geometry, very rigid aluminum frame, etc.

While there's not widespread aftermarket support, there is a significant amount. Check out:

http://www.americansportbike.com

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/

I don't think we'll have any problems keeping these bikes on the road for the next 10-15 years.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
Apart from the engine, which is a great street bike engine despite its "primitive" design, WTF is "primitive" about it? Fully adjustable suspension front and rear, USD forks, aggressive steering geometry, very rigid aluminum frame, etc.

While there's not widespread aftermarket support, there is a significant amount. Check out:

http://www.americansportbike.com

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/

I don't think we'll have any problems keeping these bikes on the road for the next 10-15 years.
Everything about the bike is primitive, if you can not see that then you should go buy one and enjoy it.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote