Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #31
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
I have an 06 which I'll never sell, it just works for me.I think it is one of the best bikes ever made for real world riding. I am planning on picking up a fan and motor mount's, maybe an ECU. I only have 26k on mine, I did have to replace a battery and tires.
Go to BadWeb there is a section on new Uly ownership.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #32
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
They're low-maintenance (pretty much just change the oil and make sure the tires are inflated - get oil change stuff from Autozone), reliable bikes that need occasional fiddling. That occasional fiddling throws some people off and they go full retard with "ITS UNRELIABLE AND OLD TECHNOLOGY" which is false. Look, separate petrol tanks date back from like 1886. THAT's old technology. The Ulysses is simple but clever.

Me, I'll take some minor fussiness over a milquetoast appliance engineered to keep the service department busy like my high tech Vstar was or something so full of electronics that not even the dealership service department can diagnose it like my brother's Multistrada 1200.

Got my '06 abused-by-PO Uly in Feb '12 with 37k on the clock. Has 57k now. Hasn't left me stuck, hasn't overheated (even in the middle of Utah desert at 105f), hasn't failed to be fun as hell. It's the best all-rounder I've rode, and I can't imagine what I'd replace it with besides an 08+ Uly or an EBR AX.

Between American Sport Bike, the "existing" "dealer network", and EBR, parts aren't exactly scarce. I just put a new EBR 5mm ZTL rotor on mine this summer... it's sexy!
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #33
Tasy's BIGJIM
CornerGrinner

Oddometer: 458
Wicked Replace my 'Muell'... Jap or German or Spain or beyond?

when I find any Bike that good I'll will, jimonabuellyou have no idea...
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #34
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast View Post
1) do you think there will be a market for the bike if it's well kept
No.

Quote:
and 2) do you think parts will be available?
New parts may be a problem; used and NOS parts will be around for years.

Quote:
I kinda think the Buells may develope into even more of a cult bike than they already are with prices either tanking or going up not sure.... What are your thoughts guys...
Don't hold your breath waiting for the value of any Buell/HD to rise...
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Anyone who thinks the price on these is going down hasn't been to LaCrosse HD lately.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
Wesman
C & R Deer Hunter

Oddometer: 596
Love mine ...... no probs, fun to ride, last bike I'll ever own. If something happens to mine I'd imagine I won't ride anymore (I'm not a youngster)
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
theoneandonlybrooks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Everything about the bike is primitive, if you can not see that then you should go buy one and enjoy it.

Seriously? I don't think there's a bike on the market today with a frame that advanced.

Haven't had my 09 for all that long, but so far absolutely no problems. Plus, the idea of never adjusting valves or flushing a cooling system sounds great to me. The only thing I don't like about it is how hot the right side can get on my leg. But as long as I'm wearing something heavier than khaki's it's not bad at all.

I seem to trade bikes about every year, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I would replace mine with that could do everything as well as it does. That's because I don't think that bike exists.
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #38
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
At 13,000 miles my 2008 Super TT needed an air intake temperature sensor - which was cheap and easy to replace. However, I have the Vehicle diagnostic scan tool software Standard (VDST) and read the error code stored in the ECM.
Its the little things like sensors that can go bad and cause owners headaches.
The TT is for sale, but if it don't sell I will be happy too!

I got my 2001 S3 in 2007 with 2200 miles on it. It had a flaky TPS which I fixed for $27, however that was only possible because I spent the bucks on the VDST.
The bad TPS is what kept the previous owners frustrated into giving up on the bike, thus keeping the mileage low.

By the way my brothers 2002 S3T ate it's oil pump drive gear at 14,000 miles.
Those gears are known to fail. He was lucky and we only had to replace his cams and the pump gear. It could have been a catastrophic engine failure.

All is well that ends well! Well, almost. Now the crank-shaft oil seal is leaking a bit on my S3 and filling the transmission with some motor oil - which causes a bit of dripping from the transmission vent tube. I'll have to replace it eventually, but not till it really gets bad.

Oh... yea my brother bought a 1999 X1 lightning and put 40,000 miles on it. Yes it went through the usual recalls, but he loved that bike, and it ran perfectly when he sold it.

Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 07:16 PM
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #39
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
You would be purchasing a dead company's primitive bike that is not as reliable as the modern dual sports offered by all the other companies and that has no aftermarket or manufacturer support. Yeah sounds like a good idea to me.
Keep in mind that that "dead company" was shut down by it's parent company, not by a decision of it's own. My '08 is a 25th anniversary model, I'd think that says enough.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandkat View Post
Owning a Buell is like having a 2 year old.. Sometimes, you'll have tantrums and just wanna walk away from it, sometimes it will make funny noises, some days it will make you cry, others you will smile. However if someone tries to take it away from you you'll kill em.

I have had a love / hate relationship with mine. It is without a doubt, one of the most fun, character driven bikes I have ever swung a leg across.. This from 37 years of experience. It is however, a hit or miss in terms of reliability. Mine has been 100% reliable, meaning no failures, however you do have to learn to deal with the quirkiness and not having support around every corner.

+1 and I'll raise you one teenager.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #41
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I bought mine used with 6k on it. It had a tuner and I assume the PO had beat on it. Now, mine has 18k on it and I beat on it. I've replaced the rear rocker box gasket, battery, along with tires. Anything else has been from me fucking with it (Swapped out the SCG suspension for regular S, swapped out the final drive gears for the 9 gears, LED turn signals, Hawk muffler) I do have a check engine light, I know my exhaust servo isn't working.

The XB9s are geared lower than the XB12, the gear change makes the bike a lot more fun.

It's the one bike I don't see myself selling for a long time, unless I was going to get a Uly.

:edit: I got about 41 mpg in town, that's about 120 miles to a tank, and not being easy on it all the time. That was before the gear swap. Now it's about 110 miles per tank.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #42
theoneandonlybrooks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
I bought mine used with 6k on it. It had a tuner and I assume the PO had beat on it. Now, mine has 18k on it and I beat on it. I've replaced the rear rocker box gasket, battery, along with tires. Anything else has been from me fucking with it (Swapped out the SCG suspension for regular S, swapped out the final drive gears for the 9 gears, LED turn signals, Hawk muffler) I do have a check engine light, I know my exhaust servo isn't working.

The XB9s are geared lower than the XB12, the gear change makes the bike a lot more fun.

It's the one bike I don't see myself selling for a long time, unless I was going to get a Uly.

:edit: I got about 41 mpg in town, that's about 120 miles to a tank, and not being easy on it all the time. That was before the gear swap. Now it's about 110 miles per tank.
How hard is the XB9 gear swap? How do you like the Hawk muffler?
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #43
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Bought one yesterday

I am a GS owner, but by no means am I only BMW fan. I am a motorcycle enthusiast that loves riding. I love Harleys, BMW's, Hondas, Suzuki’s, you name it, I want it. I had X9XB and loved the bike. Had to sell it before I went to Flight School in Fort Rucker. I regretted selling that bike.
So yesterday I went to try out 2007 Uly with 13K on the ODO. What a fun bike. Same excitement as my previous Buell, just better riding position. The guy had Happy Trails boxes with it, three different windshields, Shop manual, and some other things to throw with it. After $4200 the bike was mine. Rode it this morning to work. Great bike. What's not to like?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #44
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedodjija View Post
What's not to like
mine left me stranded 3 times. That's what I didn't like.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #45
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I love mine! I've put ~30k miles on it with no problems so far. Things I'd recommend:

1) Stick to 2008 or newer (better FI system, better performance, higher rev limit, more durable engine, crank issues solved, etc)

2) Address known issues before riding, such as:
- ECU location (it'll get physically broken in the stock location, put it somewhere safe--like down beside the battery)
- Ground wires: Some weren't tight, clean, etc., from the factory. Look them over, make sure they are actually grounding well.
- Install cooling kit if it's a pre-2010 bike and use weatherstripping to seal the area between the seat and frame so you don't roast.

After that just ride. They are great fun and really low maint. Big pluses about the bike is that it handles awesome, is super comfortable, and has great suspension, lots of luggage capacity and even lots of room for a pillion.

Downsides are that it has relatively meager power, royally sucks off road (my Bandit was better), has a wide turning radius (forks can't turn very far on the XT--if it really bothers you it's possible to fix this, but it doesn't bother me), and is rather hot in hot weather while going slow. Also with the short wheelbase the weight of a pillion impacts handling more than most longer, lower ST bikes.

It also doesn't have great wind mgmt at speed, so it's not the quietest, most comfy place to be at 90+mph, but also not terrible.

For east coast mountains and twisties I think it's ideal. I think it'd be great for California as well. I probably wouldn't buy one for a Colorado bike because the roads out there tend to be faster with big long sweepers and that, combined with elevation, really rewards a bike with huge power and fairly good high speed aerodynamics.

Buells are so inexpensive now that I doubt they'll depreciate much more. Most likely they'll hang about where they are for quite a while and eventually creep up as clean ones get rarer.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote