Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #46
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post
mine left me stranded 3 times. That's what I didn't like.
What happened to it?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #47
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedodjija View Post
What happened to it?
1. Drive belt snapped.
2. Rear wheel bearing disintegrated at 70 mph.
3. Clutch hub bearing seized. Rode as far as i could but eventually had to stop.

Also had some electrical issues that were more annoyances than real problems.

I should note I had an xb9sx, not a uly.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #48
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

That makes sense now. I had xb9 as well couple of years ago.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #49
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post
1. Drive belt snapped.
2. Rear wheel bearing disintegrated at 70 mph.
3. Clutch hub bearing seized. Rode as far as i could but eventually had to stop.

Also had some electrical issues that were more annoyances than real problems.

I should note I had an xb9sx, not a uly.
How many miles for the belt?

What year is the bike?

All three have been noted on Badweb. Sorry you had a bad experience. I'm at 40K and only on the second belt. Replaced the first one at around 18K. I've only replaced the rear bearings once at 28K. Pretty easy to do and cheap to buy. Haven't had a problem with the clutch hub yet, but have read it on BW. Even though my crank gave up, it would have been worthless if I tried to sell it like it was. I still enjoy the bike a lot.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #50
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Haven't had a problem with the clutch hub yet, but have read it on BW.
The 2 or 3 clutch bearing failures I've read about occurred after owners found water initrusion in the primary. People occasionally post photos of finding a vanilla-milkshake-like mixture in their primary which is apparently caused by moisture build-up in the primary lube. I've not found this once in ~45,000 miles on mine; I live in a very humid but not cold environment (coastal SC). This may be more of a problem in cold environments where the bikes aren't ridden long enough to thoroughly warm up the primary oil.

I also saw one case that happened shortly after the bike was dumped in a stream which apparently allowed water to get into the primary through the vent tube.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #51
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Belt

I've heard that new GoodYear belts have life time warrenty. I am not sure if this is true, so please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #52
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
How many miles for the belt?

What year is the bike?

All three have been noted on Badweb. Sorry you had a bad experience. I'm at 40K and only on the second belt. Replaced the first one at around 18K. I've only replaced the rear bearings once at 28K. Pretty easy to do and cheap to buy. Haven't had a problem with the clutch hub yet, but have read it on BW. Even though my crank gave up, it would have been worthless if I tried to sell it like it was. I still enjoy the bike a lot.
27k miles on a 2008. I got rid of the bike after the clutch hub bearing seized. It was a really cool, fun bike but I just didn't have any confidence in it any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
The 2 or 3 clutch bearing failures I've read about occurred after owners found water initrusion in the primary. People occasionally post photos of finding a vanilla-milkshake-like mixture in their primary which is apparently caused by moisture build-up in the primary lube. I've not found this once in ~45,000 miles on mine; I live in a very humid but not cold environment (coastal SC). This may be more of a problem in cold environments where the bikes aren't ridden long enough to thoroughly warm up the primary oil.

I also saw one case that happened shortly after the bike was dumped in a stream which apparently allowed water to get into the primary through the vent tube.
mine had the milky white primary oil too. My commute is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half each way so I think it was more than just condensation building up. Water was getting into the primary, probably through the clutch cable. I suppose it's partially my fault for not checking the primary oil more often but really they should have just designed a bike that doesn't leak water into the primary.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #53
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I figured out how to avoid getting stranded by a broken belt about 1200 miles from home in St. George, UT: bring a spare.

Oh (literally) snap!

How to avoid seized wheel bearings: check them whenever your wheels are off and replace them if they're notchy. They're cheap.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #54
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Why would anyone buy a bike and be concerned about resale? I've never made any money off any bike I've ever owned.

That being said. The Buell is not for you.

I love mine. A collector bike, probably not. A bike free of issues, nope. But I also have 30k on mine with only a hand full of small things. My aprilia had zero issues at 30k, GSXR, you guessed it, no issues.

Go find a Versys or a Vstrom.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #55
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
How to avoid seized wheel bearings: check them whenever your wheels are off and replace them if they're notchy. They're cheap.
I also never let a shop install my rear wheel! Over torquing the rear axle nut will compress the aluminum spacer between the wheel bearing and put a load on the bearings, causing failure.
I believe in 2010, Buell added an extra bearing to the drive side of the rear wheel?
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #56
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
I also never let a shop install my rear wheel! Over torquing the rear axle nut will compress the aluminum spacer between the wheel bearing and put a load on the bearings, causing failure.
I believe in 2010, Buell added an extra bearing to the drive side of the rear wheel?
Come to think of it, I've never had somebody install my Uly's rear wheel. I always torque it and then untorque it and then torque it again by the book.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #57
Suncoast OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
Why would anyone buy a bike and be concerned about resale? I've never made any money off any bike I've ever owned.

That being said. The Buell is not for you.

I love mine. A collector bike, probably not. A bike free of issues, nope. But I also have 30k on mine with only a hand full of small things. My aprilia had zero issues at 30k, GSXR, you guessed it, no issues.

Go find a Versys or a Vstrom.
Really??...... Of course you have to be concerned about resale and future value, unless you have tons of cash and don't give a shit. At least for me a motorcycle is a significant investment..No I've never made money on a bike and never expect to but in 3 or 4 years when I think about selling as a lot of us do it would be nice to know that the bike is still a decent sought after bike, not some liability.

"The Buell is not for you"??? What does that mean? If you aren't prepared to lose your shirt on a bike don't buy one....Is that something akin to the Harley guys saying "It's a Harley if you don't understand don't ask"...
Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #58
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Also think about where youll need to go everytime you need a part (btw 99.9% of parts are still available) One day, you will ask the parts guy to bring you some washers and hell hand some chromed out washers stating that is all he has

When you go to the parts counter remember that theres is always a Buell guy at the dealership but you gotta ask for him.. "wheres your Buell guy" They will bring some dude from the back that doesnt ride an HD but works there and hell be the only one who will speak your language.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #59
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Also think about where youll need to go everytime you need a part (btw 99.9% of parts are still available) One day, you will ask the parts guy to bring you some washers and hell hand some chromed out washers stating that is all he has

When you go to the parts counter remember that theres is always a Buell guy at the dealership but you gotta ask for him.. "wheres your Buell guy" They will bring some dude from the back that doesnt ride an HD but works there and hell be the only one who will speak your language.
not every hd dealership supports buell. Last time I went to a local hd dealership the parts guy said they don't even have the buell parts books any more and can't order buell parts. I even gave him the part number and he said he couldn't order it. They did have a "buell guy" who they brought out from the back but he told me the same thing.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #60
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,359
50 K on my 06 X, I will get on it any time and go anywhere on it with out hesitation. I had only one breakdown when my cranksensor baked going across Florida in 100+ degree weather at 80 mph loaded to the gills. The dealer I was towed to had the part in stock and I was on my merry way.

I am not worried about resale value, I will not get rid of mine

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote