circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #167
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Feliz Navidad

Well, the clutch plate shipped from Bogota was lost in transport, or someone seriously F*&% up or both, or I am being fed a truckload of BS and I liking it . Part was reorder we are now looking at a Thursday ETA, so in Medellin for at least a few more days.

In hindsight I would have: done this, or that, or more than likely that other thing, maybe even try something like that guy mentioned I shoulda - coulda done before.... sure hindsight is like armchair quarterbacking, 20/20 and a touchdown every time...

Tonight we spend Christmas Eve with JDowns, Advford, Turtleheads, as well as a few other misfits, and AdvRider aficionados.

Should be fun, things could be a lot worst.

Medellin by day looking Southwest

By night

Looking Northeast

Cable car to Barrio of Santo Domingo

Poor but not rundown

At the very least with power water and web.

Forever present palm threes

Taking the holiday subway back

Ho-Ho-Ho

Jackie and Valentino wish you all a Merry Colombian Christmas

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #168
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Merry Christmas, Jackie and Valentino! Sorry to hear about the shipping issue with the replacement parts! Glad you have some fellow ADVers to be with over the holiday!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #169
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 606
MERRY XMAS TO YOU BOTH !

Thank you for the RR and hope you get your part but in the meantime relax and enjoy the rest.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #170
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
I read on another thread that the Ruta 40 outfit was crap.

I have no personal experience.

Word is they left a lot of bolts loose and things undone on an inmates bike.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #171
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Yeah but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I read on another thread that the Ruta 40 outfit was crap.

I have no personal experience.

Word is they left a lot of bolts loose and things undone on an inmates bike.
Ya I read that too, but I spoke to others that say otherwise and I still have a good feeling about the Service Mgr. I will be looking over their shoulder when they finally get the plate and start putting the bike back together.

The Southern Episode
Old 12-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #172
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking An ADV Christmas

In the mean time back in Medellin, we had a great ADV Christmas last night at the Shamrock, Al graciously let us use his bar and kitchen. JDowns, advFord, Gene and Neda, 2 more Canadians from Alberta, as well as a Andy, the Brit with more experience than all of us put together, an Aussie named Hugo, Marc with his wife Nadia riding 2up on a GSA from Manzanillo, and Ian from the US, all three were on the Stahlratte with us. We had a jolly time, I am sure you'll get more pics from these guys. There were a few more friendly faces who's names now escape me.

Valentino was the impromptu Chef for the eveneing

Happy hungry and festive crowd

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 02:11 PM
Old 12-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #173
BuggyCrewNextDoor
Tara Pl. Watchdogs

Oddometer: 6
Warm Wishes from Home

We hope you are having a wonderful Christmas. Coulda, woulda, and shoulda's don't matter much in the end, so long as Angela gets what she needs in the end. We must admit, seeing the photos of the beloved Angela in a state of undress is a little disquieting! Remember, all good things come to those who wait.

Happy holidays, guys!!
BuggyCrewNextDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #174
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
So nice finally meeting the lovely Jackie and Valentino:

Quite a crew showed up at the Shamrock for the 2013 Holiday dinner last night:

It's the people you meet on the road that brings a smile to your face long after the bike is parked back in the garage when the ride is over.

Oh, and that man can cook! :

Two of the nicest folks you could ever meet.

Saludos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 04:38 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #175
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Merry Christmas, J & V!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #176
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Thanks so much to all of you for chiming in, watching, and lurking, it's a pleasure to take you along. Soon we get this show back on the road

Sent from the top of the world

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 09:40 AM
Old 12-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #177
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Looking good…..
Old 12-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #178
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

The Motorcycle Chronicles of Jackie & Valentino... The Southern Episode

Well things are starting to look good again on this Boxing Day. The clutch plate arrived this morning and the job is moving along at the right pace. Angela should be back on her wheels and ready to go some time tomorrow.

Woohoo!!!!!!

Sent from the top of the world

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 09:42 AM
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #179
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Good you guys will be back on the road soon. Happy New Year and safe travels!

AP
Old 12-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #180
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Thumb Anecdota Colombiana

Giddy as school girls we left Medellin on December 28, we got the bike back the day before but we had a poor night of sleep, and figured that carefully reloading the bike, gas and air pressure would take us too late in the day for any decent riding. So we left Saturday. Ahead of us laid a perfect riding day, heading for Buga or Tulua with a stop in Salento.

Saturday morning getting out of Medellin was a piece of cake, traffic was light and the morning was pleasantly cool. We headed south on Ruta 25, quickly hit some nice twisties that sinuously took us through verdant valleys until we reach the ruta del cafe. It was sunny and about 20C, in other words perfect. Bike is running smooth and I can feel the clutch engaging nicely as it should, effortlessly passing the few lorries that ventured on the road during the holyday weekend. Colombians sure like cycling and we saw many in full clad, reminding us of the mountainous regions of France, Italy, and Spain. Legs and butts of steel;

What a blissful morning, we were both so glad to be riding Angela again, sweet curvy tarmac, great weather, enjoying the tunes…

I could hear in my cavernous brain, Liliane think

-“Wow! What a great day it is, pleasant ride, not too much traffic, great scenery, we’re going to this nice pueblo. It’s early so we’ll find a hostal quickly and then go for a walk discover Salento, have a nice dinner, look at the palm trees… “

Can you picture it in your mind’s eye?

I’m talking about Moto “Quawn” we’ve all been there.

It was about 1400 when we exited ruta 25S towards Salento. We came about a sweet shop on the side of the road advertising Dulce de leche, arroz con leche, and other sweet creamy desert that Jackie is so fond of. Valentino instantly saw an opportunity to please, and without further due, made a quick turn for the front of the awning-covered shop.

The rest… well the rest is history as they say…

After my turn, I guess I came to a stop a bit to abruptly, using too much front brake on soft loose gravel, Angela was perpendicular to a lazy slope, my front wheel slightly turn inward… need I go further? The heavy pig decided that it was time for an afternoon nap and tossed us to the side.

Not great, but no big deal, albeit a rare occurrence, it happens, even to the best of us. A moment of inattention is usually all it takes for a silly thing like that to put a dent in your day. Angela and all her might dropped to the right side, and Jackie and Valentino went along. A couple of minutes later, the bike was returned to the vertical with the help of a friendly Colombian, also seeking to satiate his craving for something sweet.

As we were righting the bike up, I leaned over to extend the side stand only to notice that the throttle valve switch was broken in half, with the connector dangling from the cable.

I looked at Jackie and said:

“Better sit down, we ain’t going nowhere fast…” I figured as we were going down from static, I must have caught the doohickey with the heel of my boot and broke it off.

Within moments a Rider on a Strom slowed down and gave me a thumbs up, to which I replied with a thumbs down. His name was William; he veered, parked, dismounted and asked:

“Que paso, puedo ayudar?” He took a look the dangling piece and winced; I winced back.

He asked me if I had some tools to remove the broken switch, and told me to hold on with the piece, it might be salvable, and he would be back in 20-30 minutes max, he might be able to help.

I asked if he had time, and if we were not interrupting something important. He answered back:

“Para un motociclista, siempre tengo tiempo”, He left.

Several others stopped seeking a sugar fix, until a young couple on a Pulsar 180 approached us, and asked us the usual ice-breaking questions.

“Where are you from? Where are you going? etc, etc…” Norbert and Diana had just entered the picture. He started making some calls for a towing, and called a “mecanico” friend of his to see if he could try to solder back the circuit together. He caught his friend at home and said the shop was closed and only his boss had the keys.

By 1500 William and his V-strom were back. We chatted more, found out that the city of Pereira, we had just driven through, was a real motorcycle town, and that the BMW dealer, AutoGermana, was the part supplier for the whole area. William called a guy who called another guy, who called us back, and we were speaking with Edwin, the sales Mgr at BMW in Pereira, who told us that Saturday they closed at 1200, but he would be open at 0800 on Monday ready to help us out.

At that very moment a couple on a GSA harbouring Canadian plates, briefly slowed down, gave a quick glance at the scene, and opted to twist the throttle and continue on their merry way.

Meanwhile Norbert’s phone rang and the pleasant voice of Luisa informed him that the towing from Asistimotosmoto would be there in about half an hour. We chatted some more exchanged numbers, and both Pulsar and Strom wished us good luck, making us promise to call them if we needed anything more.

Anderson arrived about 45 minutes later with his pick up. His timing was great because just prior to his arrival, three highway patrols had set up a checkpoint right next to the sugar shack. Their help would prove indispensable to help hoist Angela up the ramp, and in the back of the pick up truck.

Anderson, a KTM fanatic, drove us back to Pereira. Before dropping us at the hotel, he made a stop at Armotos, a small shop in the moto-district of the city, on Carrera 12 # 11-20. There we met Alvaro and Cesar, two mechanics in their late 20’s. After a brief chat I exchanged my broken switch for his business card, and was told to come back later to see what could be done. Anderson, our friendly tow driver took us to a hotel where we offloaded Angela and dumped our gear. Cost of the towing $90,000.00 cop, or about $45.00 usd.

It was about 1900 when our cab drop us in from of the brother’s small shop (writer’s notes; it is 1900 on a Saturday night the weekend between Christmas and New Years. In this neighbourhood the number of open shops far outweigh the number of closed one. We patiently waited for another hour while Alvaro and Cesar proceeded in salvaging the part, gluing back the small plastic sensor disk, and rebuilding the switch. At 2000, after having diligently reconstructed the small apparatus, and successfully testing each connector while spinning the sensor disk, Alvaro gave me a doubtful smile and said “this might work but I would not guarantee it” I thanked him profusely, and put my hand in my pocket reaching for my wallet.

He categorically refused any money, “I can’t guarantee the work” he said again, I trusted $30,000.00 cop in his hand, saying “buy some beers for you and your brother”, he took the money and shoved back 10K in my shirt pocket and said with a smile “20k is more than enough to get shitfaced, just make sure you let the putty dry up before you test it”. I shook his greasy hand, full of blackened nails, and J&V hailed another cab back to the hotel for a well deserve shower.

We would get two more calls from Norbert and William before nights end. Both inquiring about our welfare, and offering further help, “Calquiere cosas que nececitas” were their exact words.

Sunday morning after breakfast I plug the switch back, but it was a no go, although the throttle responded better than before, the bike stalled within seconds of further twisting. It was a dubious attempt to start with, but I wanted to put all the chance in our camp should the dealer not have the part on Monday morning.

We called back Asistimotos, and asked how much it would be to load the bike and drop it at the dealership. About $20,000.00 cop said the forever courteous female voice we now new belonged to Luisa. 20k is about 10 bucks, slightly below what it would cost for a return trip by cab from the hotel to the dealer, hence the decision to tow the bike instead of going back and forth to buy the part was a no-brainer.

We had a great view of Pereira from the hotel room

Later in the afternoon as we meandered among the city streets, just outside of centro commercial Victoria we noticed the sign for Asistimotos, we walked in the parking area and there sat, on a chair behind a folding table, Luisa, with a small cell phone stuck to her hear busy dispatching yet another towing. We thanked her for help and friendly disposition and shook her hand after snapping a couple of shots.

This morning we were up at 0645, at 0830 we were discussing our options with Ricardo the service Mgr at the BMW shop after he told us that he did not have a throttle valve switch on inventory. We called Edwin the sales Mgr at Autogermana, and within minutes he agreed to remove the switch from his 2013 GSA; “para motoristas no hay limites” were his words. By 10:15, the switch had made it to the shop and we were twisting the throttle out of there. Headed towards Salanto, nested in the Corcora valley, by nightfall we had made it to Popayan where we will spend New Years Eve before heading for Ecuador.

Final note: September 19th, the day before we left for the trip, as I was giving the bike a final look I decided to remove the protective plate I had recently acquired to protect the switch because I had regularly been hitting my shin against it. Little did I know…

Oh and BTW, Norbert called two more times to make sure we were doing fine, and that the universe was aligned once again.

As the Paisas say: "todo al pelo"

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 12:29 PM