ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
If this is actually true, it would be pretty cool:
"The new trip technology featured by the Navigator 5 defines the state of the art with regard to route planning and routing. It allows the user to create longer and more detailed tours with up to 3,750 shaping points per trip.
I say that, and then I realize that I am not sure of what the "per trip" (which I believe means per route) max is currently for a Montana or Zumo.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,471
Who needs that many waypoints in a route? Probably they refer to tracks where it would help a lot. Zumo 660 supports only 600 points per track.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Who needs that many waypoints in a route? Probably they refer to tracks where it would help a lot. Zumo 660 supports only 600 points per track.
Dunno, but using a lot of shaping points is a good way to keep a route from changing when it gets into the GPS unit.

Just called Garmin US support, and of course they have never heard of it. Nor had the gentleman I spoke with seen a Marketing memo on the thing, which is their usual way of knowing a new model is coming. I suggested that he pass the link to the press release (which I forwarded to him) to Garmin Marketing, so they can figure out what they are doing.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If this is actually true, it would be pretty cool:
"The new trip technology featured by the Navigator 5 defines the state of the art with regard to route planning and routing. It allows the user to create longer and more detailed tours with up to 3,750 shaping points per trip.
I say that, and then I realize that I am not sure of what the "per trip" (which I believe means per route) max is currently for a Montana or Zumo.
I was surprised that they used the term "shaping points" because that has a very specific meaning in how the Navigation code treats them.

The Montana does not support Shaping Points and as far as I know, only the zumo's do in the Moto world of Garmin GPS receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I seriously doubt that this unit will support Tracks in the way that the current zumo66x units do.

Not meaning to just dismiss the track support topic but since very few zumo 66xLM customers even know that the Off-road Tracks feature is even there, I have my doubts that Garmin would continue to write/maintain that code.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 10:05 AM
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Here is the PDF you get if you download the press kit: http://home.comcast.net/~emoto1/BMW_...gator_V_EN.pdf
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Very disappointed no XM
kencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
Very disappointed no XM
That does seem like an odd deletion except for the fact that this unit is being made for people who purchase BMW motorcycles all over the world, most of whom have no idea what XM even means

I will run my Garmin 376C as a secondary unit which has XM radio and live NEXRAD weather because I've never felt that one GPS was enough to put on a bike...
Below is a picture of the setup for my 2005 GS from a long time ago hence the navigator 2

Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Dunno, but using a lot of shaping points is a good way to keep a route from changing when it gets into the GPS unit.
OR... activating a route while on the road.

While on a trip last year I created a quick route in the motel room, checked it to see what roads were taken (wanted to show the wife a specific road) to that destination. All was good.

Got on the bike in the morning, forgot to activate the route until the first stop light in town. That -little bit of difference- rerouted me to use another road. And I didn't realize it until I was into this new route about 50 miles or better. We missed that one. You know - preferences - shorter distance - and avoidance's...

The shorter distance preference has taken me on some roads that became an interesting option just because I wouldn't have planned it that way. Some were good, some were not. Rerouting on the 665 has a lot to improve on. Especially when its telling you to go back 5 miles and make the correct turn; instead of turning right and going 1 mile and hitting the same road.

Is "shaping points" another word for "waypoints"?

You can define your route better now with Base Camp and using waypoints in your route. The only problem with that is you now have those waypoints saved into your Favorites if I remember correctly. Once you've ridden that route you have a lot of clean up in your waypoint section to get rid of those waypoints.

It's going to be interesting how the Nav V handles those shaping points.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
OR... activating a route while on the road.

While on a trip last year I created a quick route in the motel room, checked it to see what roads were taken (wanted to show the wife a specific road) to that destination. All was good.

Got on the bike in the morning, forgot to activate the route until the first stop light in town. That -little bit of difference- rerouted me to use another road. And I didn't realize it until I was into this new route about 50 miles or better. We missed that one. You know - preferences - shorter distance - and avoidance's...

The shorter distance preference has taken me on some roads that became an interesting option just because I wouldn't have planned it that way. Some were good, some were not. Rerouting on the 665 has a lot to improve on. Especially when its telling you to go back 5 miles and make the correct turn; instead of turning right and going 1 mile and hitting the same road.

Is "shaping points" another word for "waypoints"?

You can define your route better now with Base Camp and using waypoints in your route. The only problem with that is you now have those waypoints saved into your Favorites if I remember correctly. Once you've ridden that route you have a lot of clean up in your waypoint section to get rid of those waypoints.

It's going to be interesting how the Nav V handles those shaping points.
Shaping Points are not equivalent to Waypoints, Via Points or Stops. All terms Garmin has used with various models and software over the years. If this unit is truly using Shaping Points they will not show in your Favorites since they are not Waypoints(Via Points,Stops). Shaping Points are not visible within the Route on your GPS. BaseCamp has the ability to set the via points in a route to Shaping Points.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

will i be able to import all of my old .gpx files i've made over the years from my other garmin units?
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 09-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
will i be able to import all of my old .gpx files i've made over the years from my other garmin units?
[SPECULATION]

The superficial answer to that question is, most likely. The caveat would be, routes will have to be recalculated because the maps will be different - unless this new unit supports not recalculating Imported Routes.

This unit isn't even available yet in the US and Garmin hasn't even announced a companion device under the zumo brand. So, knowing the details of the software are a bit premature.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Looks like I made the right decision going with a Galaxy S4..

5 " screen, $150 vs $1k, and one less piece of hardware.

Bye Garmin!
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Waddaya think, that I made that up?

Not just larger but an upgraded TFT screen as well, hope its much brighter.

I completely and humbly apologize for ever doubting you.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
[SPECULATION]

The superficial answer to that question is, most likely. The caveat would be, routes will have to be recalculated because the maps will be different - unless this new unit supports not recalculating Imported Routes.

This unit isn't even available yet in the US and Garmin hasn't even announced a companion device under the zumo brand. So, knowing the details of the software are a bit premature.
I do see your point and I appreciate your answer.
I believe this is the first time a BMW navigator model has come out that has no corresponding United States Garmin unit which is so odd.
I guess am glad that the build of my GS for 2014 has been delayed. I canceled my navigator 4 purchase and have asked for navigator 5 to be installed. I fully realize this might have to be done after I take the bike home as no one knows when these units will be available for United States dealers

again, I appreciate your reply
Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
Looks like I made the right decision going with a Galaxy S4..

5 " screen, $150 vs $1k, and one less piece of hardware.

Bye Garmin!
while I see your point the truth is I would never trust my only cell phone to be hard mounted on a twin bike because of the vibration through the handlebars which can certainly destroy a cell phone in a relatively short period of time in a way that the overpriced garmin units would tolerate much better. I need my cell phone when I arrive at a destination and I have a galaxy S4 and a galaxy note to and I love Google maps and integrated navigation and I use that in my car exclusively even though I have installed navigation in my Nissan Armada. However the intense vibration that can occur through the handlebars and transmitted into a mounted cell phone concerns me a great deal.