ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 73 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #676
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
NAV5 Media Player

I noted an issue where some MP3 (MPEG) files start playing at high-speed in the Media Player. The ones I've ID'd so far are some Audio Books in MP3 and some Podcasts in MP3. I also noted that you can stop the file from playing to fast by opening the Audio Mixer (actually, just touching the Audio Mixer button will sometimes fix the playback speed).

I reported this to Garmin many months ago and just recently ask for an update. Here is the reply I received today from Product Support who were able to replicate the issue using the example MP3 file I sent them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin Product Support
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. We received feedback from Engineering today. They were unable to reproduce the issue with regular mp3 files. At this point, the Navigator V is not listed as compatible with audio books in any capacity. If you are able to get it to work with audio books, then the device is performing above the listed capabilities.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Not being particularly satisfied with this response from Engineering, I asked the Prod Support Tech to ask Engineering what a "regular MP3 file" was exactly and how to identify them so we would all know what kind of files to avoid.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #677
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I noted an issue where some MP3 (MPEG) files start playing at high-speed in the Media Player. The ones I've ID'd so far are some Audio Books in MP3 and some Podcasts in MP3. I also noted that you can stop the file from playing too fast by opening the Audio Mixer (actually, just touching the Audio Mixer button will sometimes fix the playback speed).
Well, that's interesting, I'll have to try that. It's still so random I haven't been able to ID any particular song (which is all I've got on my card). It never does it from the same micro SD card if plugged into a T100 transformer and using X-box, for instance.

Jeez, I sure wish they would quit apologizing for "any inconvenience" It's getting REALLLLLLY redundant!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #678
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Well, that's interesting, I'll have to try that. It's still so random I haven't been able to ID any particular song (which is all I've got on my card). It never does it from the same micro SD card if plugged into a T100 transformer and using X-box, for instance.

Jeez, I sure wish they would quit apologizing for "any inconvenience" It's getting REALLLLLLY redundant!
My experience so far is that these files work fine on any other media player--i've tried over six.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #679
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,568
Far as I know an mp3 is and mp3 is an mp3. Don't think it matters if the mp3 is an audio book or music. It's all just compressed audio. So why would that matter to the unit since all it does is play it back?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #680
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Like all "standards", in theory that is correct but not all MPEG encoders are created equal. What is unusual is that the NAV5 decoder is seeing a playback speed that is not correct until the Audio Mixer code is called. At which point the decoder reverts back to the proper playback speed.

The only way this is going to get fixed is if someone with MPEG skills and equipment (software) can find a file and "look at" all of the encoding to see if there is an anomaly that might cause such a playback issue. Garmin obviously isn't going to do this.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #681
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Garmin obviously isn't going to do this.
HA! Not bloody likely!!!!

I've gotten in the habit of just using the whiz wheel to move to the next song....next day, that song plays fine and a different one goes bonkers.

Sure do love that whiz wheel!!!! Pretty soon I'll be able to do stuff by counting clicks or pushes without ever taking my eyes off the road!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #682
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Been running MP3s for about 5000km and haven't run into the fast playback yet, songs are on a SD card along with the maps I use, don't think I've use the Garmin mapping at all.

I've converted all the songs to MP3 from various sources none of which were Itunes.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #683
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

So far the only MP3 I have found an issue with are some (not all) spoken word (voice) files: Books, Podcasts. None of these files were converted by iTunes to MP3.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #684
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
So far the only MP3 I have found an issue with are some (not all) spoken word (voice) files: Books, Podcasts. None of these files were converted by iTunes to MP3.
The only ones I find doing this are old scratchy Blues recordings, which may have a similarity to voice files. ALL of mine were converted using iTunes.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #685
cruisincruzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
4 button mount question

I went through a lot of pages but could not find the answer. I have a Nav5 in the 4 button mount on my NineT. Can the unit be turned off without taking it out of the mount? When I shut off the bike the unit stays on. I have the screen setting at 1 minute to turn off but it stays on. I have the mount connected to the GPS lead that is on the bike. Thanks
cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #686
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

After you turn the key off, the CANBus will continue to provide power for 15-60sec. Once power is turned off to the mount the NAV5 will do a 30sec countdown and turn off.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #687
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
After you turn the key off, the CANBus will continue to provide power for 15-60sec. Once power is turned off to the mount the NAV5 will do a 30sec countdown and turn off.
This has confused me as well. When you turn off the bike and get the shut-off message and touch "yes" (or no, I can't remember the exact message right now, but I hit the red button on the right, or just let it time out), does the Nav V go into sleep mode or total shutdown?

The reason I ask is when I turn on the bike a day or a week later, the Nav V instantly comes on, as if it had been asleep, not OFF, which I would assume would take a few seconds to re-boot and you would have to acknowledge the CYA message.

Fine, but what if you leave the bike off for two months? Doesn't the Nav draw a not insubstantial amount of current and will probably kill your battery?
(Not to mention the OTHER parasitic draws which I have NOT figured out yet!)
Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #688
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
This has confused me as well. When you turn off the bike and get the shut-off message and touch "yes" (or no, I can't remember the exact message right now, but I hit the red button on the right, or just let it time out), does the Nav V go into sleep mode or total shutdown?

The reason I ask is when I turn on the bike a day or a week later, the Nav V instantly comes on, as if it had been asleep, not OFF, which I would assume would take a few seconds to re-boot and you would have to acknowledge the CYA message.

Fine, but what if you leave the bike off for two months? Doesn't the Nav draw a not insubstantial amount of current and will probably kill your battery?
(Not to mention the OTHER parasitic draws which I have NOT figured out yet!)
If your NAV5 Mount is powered direct to the battery then the NAV5 will never turn off. If you turn off the power to the NAV5 Mount, how can there be any "parasitic draw?"

As to the other question, the NAV5 has two power modes: Instant On and OFF. Both modes require power to be removed. Holding down the Power Button for 5sec when out of the mount will present the "Turn Off the device?" question. Answering YES will shutdown the device. The next time you press the NAV5 Power button or place it in a powered mount the device to Boot.

If you remove the NAV5 from a powered mount (power on) you will get the "The device has been removed from the mount. Turning off in 30sec." If you answer YES or allow the timer to expire, the NAV5 will go to Instant On (Standby) Mode.

Forgot, if you remove power from the mount you get the "External Power has been lost. Shutting down in 30... NO, YES." The NAV5 is again in Instant On (standby) mode. When power is reapplied to the mount, the NAV5 will come back on (no boot).

I have had my NAV5 in standby mode for several days and there has been negligible draw on its battery.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-10-2014 at 09:35 AM
Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #689
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If your NAV5 Mount is powered direct to the battery......
I have had my NAV5 in standby mode for several days and there has been negligible draw on its battery.

Oops, sorry, I neglected to mention this is a factory GPS mount on my 2014 GSW......does my question make more sense now?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #690
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

When you turn off the BMW, after a period of time (varies ~15-60sec) you will get the Turn off device message. If you select YES, the NAV5 will go into Sleep mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV5 Manual
Use sleep mode to conserve battery power when your device is not in use. Sleep mode uses very little power, and a battery charge lasts for weeks when your device is in sleep mode.
Since the BMW's CANBus has turned off power to the Mount, there is no chance of drawing down the battery by leaving the NAV5 in the Mount in Sleep Mode.

Dan
All Things GPS