User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 628
Lower Cost Light Footpeg Alternative

I ordered a set of pegs for the Raga to check them out from rypusa.com (Ryan Young Products). I saw the S3 alternatives there and RQ Products under its own menu pick under For Your Bike.

The RQ pegs Ryan said are OEM Sherco. Very light and universal to all modern bikes (the bag said they were for the 4RT). Here is the RQ pinned to the footpeg mount of my Raga, with the S3 peg that came on it sitting to the left:

The RQ pegs cost significantly less than any of the S3 pegs, are they forged aluminum! Forging produces the strongest parts, which is why your aluminum kick start and shift levers are forged and not cast. How to know a forging from a casting? Forgings have a wide 'flash line' around the part showing the gap between the forging dies. This flash is sheared off after forging, leaving a shear look to the flash line. Forging is why these pegs lack the bridging of the machined S3 pegs in the pic, which have strengthening webs. The open center could make the forged pegs more vulnerable to bending or even breaking in a massive crash impact, but being forged, they are more likely to bend than break off.

They are lighter than the S3 pegs and roughly 2-1/2X lighter than any steel peg. Sorry, my gram scale broke so I can't provide a specific weight.

Another thing I like about the RQ pegs is they are longer from the pin center to the outside curve than the S3 pegs, allowing your feet to stand out a little wider on the bike without you foot feeling on the outside edge. Width is about the same as S3. The platform is correctly low and not raised. Nice big teeth. The slip-in sleeves are quality items in machined stainless steel.

I preferred the red anodized pegs (check out all the colors), but Ryan currently had stock silver, my second alternative. I placed the order just two days before I received them, and was not over charged for S&H! So far the RQ pegs look like the best weight-performance-cost alternatives in replacement pegs.

motobene screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 07:46 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,741
I bought some Raptor Titanium pegs recently and love them. They cost me an arm and a leg, but the titanium will not wear out, they will remain crisp and will follow me from bike to bike so that will help with the "investment".

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Sure looks like either one won't cake up with mud.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I bought some Raptor Titanium pegs recently and love them. They cost me an arm and a leg, but the titanium will not wear out, they will remain crisp and will follow me from bike to bike so that will help with the "investment".

These are awesome, trick, and WAY expensive being titanium weldments! They will be stronger than forged aluminum pegs. The only penalty over forged or machined aluminum is weight. Here is a way to compare weights from densities: If aluminum is 1.0, titanium is 1.6 times heavier than aluminum, and steel is 2.8 time heavier than aluminum. The strongest pegs are steel, but also the heaviest.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Gordy
Team Listo

Raptors are 350 grams. I wonder if that even matters much since that weight (or lack of) is so low on the bike.
I'm carrying 1,000X that in my camelback.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I would have thought the most important thing here is that aluminium pegs will often break if they suffer a hard impact, steel or Ti wont.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I would have thought the most important thing here is that aluminium pegs will often break if they suffer a hard impact, steel or Ti wont.

I like the grip of the Raptors. Like I said, the weight can't make much difference being carried this low. Hell.... I'm looking into a lead skidplate. Just try knocking me down when I get that sucker mounted up!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Hell.... I'm looking into a lead skidplate. Just try knocking me down when I get that sucker mounted up!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,920
Quote:
Raptors are 350 grams. I wonder if that even matters much since that weight (or lack of) is so low on the bike.
I'm carrying 1,000X that in my camelback.
That's one heavy camelback.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
That's one heavy camelback.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Then your kick start lever and shift lever should be made out of steel. Oh wait! They probably are
Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Kickstarts and gear levers arent subjected to the type of heavy impacts footrests are quite often. Just doesnt seem that great an idea to risk the hassle related to a broken rest, simply to save a few grams?

But as weight reduction is now something thats used to sell trials bikes, I can see why many people are of the view that saving maybe 200-300 grams is so very important.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
I broke my Ti S3 pegs on a bad crash into several pieces (pegs didnt cause the crash - that was rider stupidity). After that, I went with the much beefier Raptors. I swap them bike to bike as well and keep the old ones for when I resell the bike. I also use the old Hebo (Big billet block design) handelbar clamps after my trick S3 clamps spun the bars (bolts were tight, they had a very low clamp area). The new S3 design is much better - so I think they also figured that out. Unfortunately in my case, after the crash.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
I broke my Ti S3 pegs on a bad crash into several pieces (pegs didnt cause the crash - that was rider stupidity). After that, I went with the much beefier Raptors. I swap them bike to bike as well and keep the old ones for when I resell the bike. I also use the old Hebo (Big billet block design) handelbar clamps after my trick S3 clamps spun the bars (bolts were tight, they had a very low clamp area). The new S3 design is much better - so I think they also figured that out. Unfortunately in my case, after the crash.
By S3 titanium pegs do you mean the aluminum pegs with the 'titanium' anodize finish? I see 'titanium' thrown around often in marketing spam, but it's almost always just aluminum with a different tint in the anodize.

The Raptors are real titanium pegs made in a labor-intensive way.

Titanium, just like aluminum is very common on this planet. The pigment in white paint, for example, is titanium dioxide. Grinding wheels are aluminum oxide. But you really don't find metallic aluminum and titanium in nature because when hot they crave binding with gasses like oxygen and nitrogen. Like aluminum, it takes a lot of energy to separate metallic titanium. Welding them you have to make sure you don't expose the hot weld to atmospheric gases. Especially titanium. I made that mistake once when TIG welding a titanium part without putting it in a box of inert gas. It shattered like glass. Learning experience!

motobene screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 06:45 AM
Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
These were sold as straight Ti footpegs - not Al. They look to be cast though! The other peg had 7 cracks in it - even though it looks OK. I dont think they sell them anymore. S3 should hire me as a product tester. This was 1 seasons use.
FWIW - I liked the pegs until they broke. Metallurgy is really interesting, but I only know the basics, and dont easily retain the info unless I can relate it to a failure(s).

laser17 screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 07:12 AM
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote