User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Houndguy OP
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
Pissed A bit of a rant here.

A friend of a friend is selling his 2000 all chromed out wide glide with only 18K on it.

I don't understand how some "bikers" manage to only put only 1,300 miles a year on a bike. Yet somehow I am less of a "biker" for riding a scooter and managing to ride over 10K miles a year.

Has anyone else noticed how these low mileage bikes for sale tend to be Harley's?

OK...rant over.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,857
Rather poor rant. I give it a 1.5.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Houndguy OP
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Rather poor rant. I give it a 1.5.

fair enough.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Slickvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
I don't understand how some "bikers" manage to only put only 1,300 miles a year on a bike. Yet somehow I am less of a "biker" for riding a scooter and managing to ride over 10K miles a year.

Perception is reality in these parts, so a scooter is not a real cycle. No matter how many miles you put on.

Now in Europe and Asia, most riders have nothing to prove so they don't have that issue to deal with. That's just how it is.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
jwhking1315
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Scooter miles are, like everything else on the scooter, smaller.
jwhking1315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Needs more twatwaffle. 1.0
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
I don't know my brother wanted to get in some long rides for a cross country trip a friend was planning for his 50th birthday. Saw that the local BMW rider's club was having a "long" ride so he decided to show up on his BMW K1400 (or something like, definitely the K series) only to be disgusted when he saw the ride route - San Diego to San Clemente with a make your own way back. Grand total of their "long" ride was 63 miles from KSU to end of ride.

BTW, he bought it 3-4 years old with less than 8k for half what they guy he bought it from paid so the guy he bought it from could buy the newer bigger BMW K series bike.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I have 2 bikes at the moment. My '07 Yamaha Vino 125 has 12000 miles on it (all but 130 I've put on in the last 2 years.) My '82 hondamatic CM450 has 14000 miles (I've only put about 500 on it, all since I got it as part of a trade in August). So if all the miles were evenly distributed the scooter has averaged 2000 a year and the Honda has averaged under 500, but people want to say my scooter is less of a bike. It's silly and I don't let people's opinion bother me.

But since we're talking about people looking down on scooters, when I started riding the scooter to work last year everyone in the office parking garage was too polite to say much, but they all gave it dirty looks and a couple people asked if I planned to upgrade. They quit asking and giving looks when the temperature dropped below 50 and I was the only one parking a two wheeler in the spaces they save for us. When it started snowing they started asking if I was nuts, but as long as nothing was sticking to the road why not ride? (I took the bus then.) When they came back out in the spring no one said a thing.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Seems like everyone on a motorcycle sneers at scooter riders. And yes, I'll agree that percentage wise, Harley owners talk more and ride less than virtually any other biker group I know of.

Over on one of the Harley touring bike forums a guy posted about his Iron Butt trip, 10k miles in 10 days. That is some goodly riding. But the genuflection he is getting from the members of that touring bike forum, shesh. How only a young man could do it, how insane that is, etc. It's enough to make anyone who knows how to even ride across their state roll their eyes.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,826
I have 24,000 miles on an '08 Vino 125 bought new, and I have other bikes I ride as well. I have '86,000 miles on an '02 Kawasaki 750 cruiser bought new.

You will also find a lot of newer Vespas ( 4 stroke CVT) with very low mileage. Like Harleys, some people buy them to just ride around locally and pose on. They don't have rainsuits cause they wouldn't dare ride them in the rain. Every once in a while I notice a whole row of shiny new looking Vespas in front of the local Starbucks. There are a number of local hangouts for Harley riders as well. They ride their bikes there, socialize a while, then ride them back home.

Not all Harley riders do this though. I have ridden all over the country, and I have seen a lot of Harleys with license plates from states on the other side of the country. You see a lot of them on the interstates, which is where I've spent most of my time.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
ramblerdrver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post

Has anyone else noticed how these low mileage bikes for sale tend to be Harley's?

There's always a long list of Harleys for sale in the paper and on eBay and Craig's List. Makes you wonder how Harley can keep selling new ones!
ramblerdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
Bad-assed

Most of the hard-core, bad-assed riders I know and know of, ride scooters.

Just saying.

(CDWise on this very thread can put a lot of people to shame mileage-wise)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,648
Stereotyping Harley riders is just as bad as stereotyping scooter riders. There are all kinds of riders on every type of bike. There are even some Harley riders who also own scooters........or is that scooter riders who also own Harleys?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,256
As I get older the thought of getting a car again is more appealing. If I can find something decent that won't keep at the gas pump all of the time I may become a fair weather rider. After owning and riding motorcycles for most of my twenties and into my early thirties, even if I only fair weather ride, I won'tbe judging people on their mileage. Any riding by anyone is a good thing. Except those crappy cheap scooters that plague the streets and Craig's list.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Seems like everyone on a motorcycle sneers at scooter riders. And yes, I'll agree that percentage wise, Harley owners talk more and ride less than virtually any other biker group I know of.

Over on one of the Harley touring bike forums a guy posted about his Iron Butt trip, 10k miles in 10 days. That is some goodly riding. But the genuflection he is getting from the members of that touring bike forum, shesh. How only a young man could do it, how insane that is, etc. It's enough to make anyone who knows how to even ride across their state roll their eyes.
Well I have to admit that I think 10k miles in 10 days is insane. Hell, I don't want to do an ironbutt in a car much less 10 of them in a row on a bike or scooter. 680 in one day is my limit and while I've done multiple 450-580 days, 3 or more days in a row I prefer trips longer than 1200 miles to take more than 3 days.
I will admit that I enjoyed talking with the couple in Utah on 15 year old Harley Road Kings but then hers had nearly 70,000 miles on it and his over 90k. Well maintained but basically stock.

gogogordy - this will be a light year after my accident in April. Though if the BV is ready before the snow flies I'll ride it back to Colorado (aka sometime in the next 3 weeks). Otherwise my next planned trip is to Atlanta from Houston next April for Photoshop World. I was really bummed that I couldn't make it to Amerivespa this year.

FWIW, my scoots are almost always shiny even when half or more of the country away from home. I tend to clean the windshield whenever I fill up and get rid of bugs on the body either at the end of the day or when I'm loading the scoot back up in the morning. I like a clean vehicle no matter if it is a car, scooter, motorcycle or bicycle. Heck, if I had a push scooter it would probably be cleaned after rides as well.

cdwise screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 02:47 PM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote