Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I understand your rant, but you made a bad decision if you bought a scooter to gain recognition from Harley riders. I've found that when motorcycle riders have a lot of ego investment in their rides, they look down at scooter riders, but motorcycle riders who are happy to have their knees in the breeze never fail to wave, nod or acknowledge, regardless of what you're riding.

Bottom line is to be glad you're out riding and not worry about receiving validation from others. Scooters are very good and efficient machines. They are not substandard or below par. We choose them because what they do and how they do it meshes with what our needs and wants are. Consequently, there's really no reason to be upset with the few in the world who display contempt for anyone who is not riding a Harley/BMW/Vulcan/VStar/VTX/Roadliner or, for that matter, Silverwing/Piaggio/Vespa/Kymco/etc. Not worth having a bad day about any of that...ride and be thankful.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
You shut your whore mouth RIGHT NOW...

The legions of low-milers are a FANTASTIC source of cheap, barely-used scooters and motorcycles. Remember, we LOVE these soulless bastards.

Whatever you do, DON'T shame them into riding more.

We've got a really good thing going here. Don't screw it up.

And it's not just a Harley or scooter thing, too -- lots of people watch "Long Way Round/Down/Up/Over/Through/Underneath", browse ADrider.com for a few months, buy an enormous KTM, BMW or V-Strom or whatever, bolt on 300 pounds of luggage and farkles...

...and then scare themselves absolutely shitless the first time they ride down a gravel road. When they get home, they're so shaky and sweaty they drop it in the driveway. $3,000 worth of Aerostich gear goes in the closet, they pop a beer, log in to ADVrider, and bitch about the tires and "twitchy throttle".
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
Houndguy OP
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
I understand your rant, but you made a bad decision if you bought a scooter to gain recognition from Harley riders. I've found that when motorcycle riders have a lot of ego investment in their rides, they look down at scooter riders, but motorcycle riders who are happy to have their knees in the breeze never fail to wave, nod or acknowledge, regardless of what you're riding.
I actually have little issue with this and find nearly all bikers to be a great bunch of people. My OP did have some venom in it but was also intended to be tongue in cheek as well. If I upset anyone with it then I am sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post

I think I may have already. At work there are at least 5 other motorcycle riders. At first I got a bit of ribbing about riding a scooter to work But I rode in the rain, the dead of night, the cold (we have had nights in the low 20's last winter here in Central Florida)...while they didn't. Only the Harley rider (whose bike is a beauty) has at least attempted to show up every day on his bike after he noticed I was riding in every day.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #19
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Ever notice how many low mileage Harley's owners wear Sons of Anarchy tee shirts?
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #20
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,091
A lot of people buy a bike and do a couple of toy runs, haul it to sturgis a time or 2 and then it sits in the garage. I have seen 10 year old harleys with less than 1,000 miles.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
A friend of a friend is selling his 2000 all chromed out wide glide with only 18K on it.

I don't understand how some "bikers" manage to only put only 1,300 miles a year on a bike. Yet somehow I am less of a "biker" for riding a scooter and managing to ride over 10K miles a year.

Has anyone else noticed how these low mileage bikes for sale tend to be Harley's?

OK...rant over.
They just realized their penises hadn't grown any longer! Gotta buy a big diesel truck now to blow smoke on everyone. Re-check penis size again later.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #22
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Where I'm from only scooter commuters brave the winter months but I think that's because scooter riders are more likely than mc riders to use 2 wheels primarily for utility.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
gmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
......and we all know that scooter miles are like dog's years! It's all about the fun factor. The fun stops...I stop riding. Took a while but I've figured out that slowing down makes a better ride.
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
They just realized their penises hadn't grown any longer! Gotta buy a big diesel truck now to blow smoke on everyone. Re-check penis size again later.
Hmmm... I have a big diesel truck. We have a wandering lifestyle, and the truck is necessary to move the 5th wheel or the boat... we spend far more time living on the boat or in the 5th wheel than in our "vacation home." I've also owned a bunch of motorcycles, including various Harleys. My penis is fine, thanks for asking... no need for you to check it. I guess we all have different hobbies and lifestyles.

Since it is our only 4 wheel conveyance, my wife also drives our big diesel truck. She has no penis at all. You should see her handle a bike, though... she has more balls than many guys I've ridden with. No need to check that, either - it's a metaphor.

Captain Jim

----------

Judging someone by what they ride or drive, or the number of miles on the odometer, seems petty and judgmental to me. Of course, I'm sure I did that in my younger years, too... before I matured enough to appreciate what really matters.

Consider this: if a guy roars by on a new Harley...
A young kid thinks: Cool bike!
An adolescent thinks: I could pick up chicks if I had a bike like that!
A 20 something thinks: I wish I could afford that.
A 30 something thinks: I bet he doesn't have a mortgage to worry about.
A 40 something thinks: When I get the kids out of the house, I can have one of those.
A 50 something thinks: I would look like I could pick up chicks if I had a bike like that.
A 60 something thinks: I shoulda bought something like that back when I was still working.
A 70 something thinks: Cool bike!

Of course, all of the above is WAY over-generalized. I only wrote it to illustrate that we all approach things from different places, due to our situation and experience. When someone rants about what someone else has or does, it is usually more telling about the one ranting. There are more used Harleys for sale because Harley sells more new bikes. Someone isn't "a better biker" if they ride in the rain or snow. I used to ride, no matter what the weather... I was young and stupid, and felt I had to prove something. None of us sign a contract to ride "rain or shine, dark or light." Get enough life experience, and you will find that each of us has to pick our own path. Oh, you might learn something from someone who has more experience... but life teaches us that you probably won't - you'll have to learn it the hard way, just like everyone else.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #25
kmequint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
You shut your whore mouth RIGHT NOW...

The legions of low-milers are a FANTASTIC source of cheap, barely-used scooters and motorcycles. Remember, we LOVE these soulless bastards.

And it's not just a Harley or scooter thing, too -- lots of people watch "Long Way Round/Down/Up/Over/Through/Underneath", browse ADrider.com for a few months, buy an enormous KTM, BMW or V-Strom or whatever, bolt on 300 pounds of luggage and farkles...

...and then scare themselves absolutely shitless the first time they ride down a gravel road. When they get home, they're so shaky and sweaty they drop it in the driveway. $3,000 worth of Aerostich gear goes in the closet, they pop a beer, log in to ADVrider, and bitch about the tires and "twitchy throttle".
kmequint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #26
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The big thing around here is 3/4 ton crew cab 4WD trucks lifted so high you need a ladder to get in them, with about 20 shocks, and huge off road tires. Some gas, some diesel. Many of the diesel trucks have been set so they make a lot of black smoke on acceleration. But one thing you notice about all of them is that they are spotlessly clean, obviously never been off road. The drivers of these trucks like to do a lot of tailgating. They are definitely compensating for something.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #27
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Hmmm... I have a big diesel truck. We have a wandering lifestyle, and the truck is necessary to move the 5th wheel or the boat... we spend far more time living on the boat or in the 5th wheel than in our "vacation home." I've also owned a bunch of motorcycles, including various Harleys. My penis is fine, thanks for asking... no need for you to check it. I guess we all have different hobbies and lifestyles.

Since it is our only 4 wheel conveyance, my wife also drives our big diesel truck. She has no penis at all. You should see her handle a bike, though... she has more balls than many guys I've ridden with. No need to check that, either - it's a metaphor.

Captain Jim

----------

Judging someone by what they ride or drive, or the number of miles on the odometer, seems petty and judgmental to me. Of course, I'm sure I did that in my younger years, too... before I matured enough to appreciate what really matters.

Consider this: if a guy roars by on a new Harley...
A young kid thinks: Cool bike!
An adolescent thinks: I could pick up chicks if I had a bike like that!
A 20 something thinks: I wish I could afford that.
A 30 something thinks: I bet he doesn't have a mortgage to worry about.
A 40 something thinks: When I get the kids out of the house, I can have one of those.
A 50 something thinks: I would look like I could pick up chicks if I had a bike like that.
A 60 something thinks: I shoulda bought something like that back when I was still working.
A 70 something thinks: Cool bike!

Of course, all of the above is WAY over-generalized. I only wrote it to illustrate that we all approach things from different places, due to our situation and experience. When someone rants about what someone else has or does, it is usually more telling about the one ranting. There are more used Harleys for sale because Harley sells more new bikes. Someone isn't "a better biker" if they ride in the rain or snow. I used to ride, no matter what the weather... I was young and stupid, and felt I had to prove something. None of us sign a contract to ride "rain or shine, dark or light." Get enough life experience, and you will find that each of us has to pick our own path. Oh, you might learn something from someone who has more experience... but life teaches us that you probably won't - you'll have to learn it the hard way, just like everyone else.
Well put Jim.
klx250sfguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The big thing around here is 3/4 ton crew cab 4WD trucks lifted so high you need a ladder to get in them, with about 20 shocks, and huge off road tires. Some gas, some diesel. Many of the diesel trucks have been set so they make a lot of black smoke on acceleration. But one thing you notice about all of them is that they are spotlessly clean, obviously never been off road.

Mall Crawlers
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #29
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
So you ride a scooter. And you want respect from Harley riders. Sounds reasonable.:rof l:rof l:rof l:rof l:rof l
Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #30
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Where I'm from only scooter commuters brave the winter months but I think that's because scooter riders are more likely than mc riders to use 2 wheels primarily for utility.
The leg shields really work.