Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Evo engine vs Twin cam

Hi,

How good or bad is the Twin cam compared to the evo engine?
Is fare more reliable then the evo engine?

I have testdriven lots of twin cam engines but no evo engined bike.

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
The TwinCam has several serious issues but makes more power. The Evo is a rock solid engine short on power.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,257
the evo motor is a reliable motor. Probably the first in Harley's history.

Twinkies seem to have some issues, heat is one of them hence the piss-heads coming out now, but I don't know enough guys with twinkies to give any real stats.

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 567
According to this guy....

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
Terrible writing, and full of shit. I don't dispute that the TC has some issues (particularly the earlier versions), but the author of that page is just full of it.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
We have both, an 89 FLHS & a 2000 Road King. I like 'em both. The TC makes more power & the whole bike is more modern, of course. I changed the cam chain tensioners at about 40K. They were OK but who knew. The EVO runs cooler & get better fuel mileage but it just feels like it's working to cruise 85, where the TC is just loafing along. IMO, Just get the bike you like, either motor is fine.

Good Luck, Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Hey! Where's Jerry?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
In the past month or so I have replaced 5 sets of cam chain tensioners. From 15 to 70 thousand miles. They were all first generation. I've done two sets of second generation this summer. I can do the job in 3 hours now I've done so many.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Hey! Where's Jerry?
It's about time someone asked this question. IMO, the EVO is a far superior motor. Not that they have not made a few improvements with the TC, but using 2 cams and a chain drive is not one of them. Neither is using a pressed together non serviceable crank. The Twin Cam was designed to make factory assembly easier (and of course cheaper) at the cost of most of it being disposable rather than rebuildable. And then there is that heat issue. So if the only thing gained was power, the TC is a total fail. The EVO had plenty for what it went into. A cruiser. Harley copied a lot of Japanese design and manufacturing techniques with the TC, and that is one place they had been way ahead of the Japanese with the EVO.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Twin cams are better than evos. Only real issue with TC are the early cam chain tensioners. They just need to be checked every 10-20K miles (many bikes want valve adjustments at lower mileages). Later ones ('07 up) are better. TCs do have crank problems when ya start building them over 100hp but few EVOs ever came near 100hp. EVOs had just as many camcase problems as TCs. My '09 103TC is putting out 99hp/109tq with pretty much only pipes/AC/cams and is way better than any of my EVOs that blew up.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It's about time someone asked this question. IMO, the EVO is a far superior motor. Not that they have not made a few improvements with the TC, but using 2 cams and a chain drive is not one of them. Neither is using a pressed together non serviceable crank. The Twin Cam was designed to make factory assembly easier (and of course cheaper) at the cost of most of it being disposable rather than rebuildable. And then there is that heat issue. So if the only thing gained was power, the TC is a total fail. The EVO had plenty for what it went into. A cruiser. Harley copied a lot of Japanese design and manufacturing techniques with the TC, and that is one place they had been way ahead of the Japanese with the EVO.
Have you ever owned a Harley?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
He has owned and experienced everything, but only on the internet.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
No, but he is thinking about getting one as soon as he saves up the money.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 147
Considering my evo has torn up something and the cam is now screaming and my lifter screen is full of metal shavings, and the previous owner rounded off one of my exhaust bolts so I can't get it off easily.. I may be a little biased, but I will try to give you MY opinion on it. Keep in mind all of my problems are coming from a previous owner screw up, so, it's not the bikes fault.

Evo's, in my opinion, are the better engine if you aren't trying to build them up to be high horse power engines... they were designed to plug along at low RPM's with just enough horse power and torque to get the job done, and that is how they should stay. The good thing about the evolution motor, is that they have the Timken bearing; something Harley has not put in the twin cam since 2002. Nothing worse than having your non-rebuildable flywheel coming out of true in your post 2002 twin cam because you had no timken bearing... Evo's have gear driven cams, which can be a blessing if something does go south in the cam chest because they're relatively easy to work on. Keep in mind that you can put timken bearings on a twin cam flywheel and you CAN go to gear driven cams. You simply ship your bottom end out and the mechanic/shop will install races into your cases and the bearings on the crank pin, and you can have them true your flywheel and weld it up nice and strong if you'd like which is the best way to go. The only major problem I can tell with the evolution motor is the fact that lifters need replacement every 40,000 miles, but that is an EASY job to do... and the crappy stock INA cam bearing that needs to be swapped out with a torrington which is also an easy job to do. Evo's will eventually develop a base gasket leak, but proper warming up of the motorcycle will keep this from happening for a LONG time.

Right now I'm looking at a little over 2k to fix my bike. I haven't gotten inside the came chest yet, but I figure if I'm going into it I might as well replace the rockers, pushrods, swap out the lifters, and put in an Andrews EV27 cam, and put a Torrington inner cam bearing in. I'm just hoping there aren't a whole lot of metal shavings in the engine. A crane singlefire ignition is on the list, along with a honing of the jugs and a re-ring, and head work... valve seats and all that. After all of this the bike should take me to 150k with no problems as long as I keep up on the periodic maintenance. I love this old evo but she sure has been a head ache.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Riser Spacers, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
In the past month or so I have replaced 5 sets of cam chain tensioners. From 15 to 70 thousand miles. They were all first generation. I've done two sets of second generation this summer. I can do the job in 3 hours now I've done so many.

Great! Have you lowered your quoted hours to reflect the time savings?

I bought my FXDL with 52K on the clock. The tensioners were gone by then and had to be replaced.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote