Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #31
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Terrible writing, and full of shit. I don't dispute that the TC has some issues (particularly the earlier versions), but the author of that page is just full of it.
Amen and amen. Almost sounds like he googled "Twin Cam issues" and ran with that.

My personal experience with Twinkies has been good. Stock, they can run hot compared to Evo's but a richer A/F mixture cures that well enough for me. I still like the Evolution engine for it's simplicity and longevity. My Twin Cams have Andrews gear drives in the chest, seem to work real well although they're noisier than stock chain drives. Rumor has it that this is the reason the factory didn't gear drive the twin cam. Not like they didn't have nearly 90 years of experience in gear drives...
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #32
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It's true the EVO engine will not hold up to hot rodding (I know a Harley/Harley clone mechanic, and watched him rebuild an 80" EVO) But I don't understand this thing about power with a Harley. You want power, get a Hayabusa. A Harley is a cruiser. It's purpose is just to kick back and ride, enjoying the vibration and that wonderful exhaust sound. It is not a sport bike nor a muscle bike.

It's also a bike that many people like to spend thousands of dollars on in chrome, paint, and leather. But I'm not that type. A stock Harley EVO with some slightly louder than stock pipes would satisfy me just fine.
You know a Harley mechanic? My god, you're a genius!

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #33
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
You know a Harley mechanic? My god, you're a genius!
And the poor bastard had JerryH birddogging him whilst rebuilding an engine. I bet he gave his mechanic buddy a lot of good advice the whole time.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,857
Quote:
It's true the EVO engine will not hold up to hot rodding (I know a Harley/Harley clone mechanic, and watched him rebuild an 80" EVO) But I don't understand this thing about power with a Harley. You want power, get a Hayabusa.
Once again, your blanket generalization falls completely flat.
Define 'hot rodding'... if you try to get big power you will shorten the lifespan of any engine.
If you want to make respectable torque and give the bike enough power to pass cars safely....you're fine.

Do you have any idea how many modified Evo engines are out there? Probably easier to count how many are left bone stock - because that number is pretty small.
My '90 Evo was completely reliable for over 50,000 miles with a Screaming Eagle cam (w/ hydraulic lifters), an SE (Dynojet) kit, SE air cleaner, RevTec single fire ignition.

Stock that motor made about 45hp and couldn't get out of it's own way.
After a pittance spent on mild modifications I was in the mid 80hp range and the bike made perfect power - the kind it should have come from the York plant with in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
And once more shut up Jerry. The Shovelhead's first year was 1966 you dumbass. AMF didn't acquire Harley until 4 years later.

JerryH, you need to stick to things you know about, not continuously spewing bonehead anecdotal stuff that is a broad generalization at best, and hopelessly wrong and a real head shaker.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #35
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmfp View Post
I work on harley's for a living and they both have issues. If i had to pick one I would take a TC hands down. Just my opinion.

P.S. I ride a twin cam

I've been working on Harleys almost as long as you've been breathing. When I started guys still brought their Pans in to the dealership for work. I've worked on Flatties,Knuckles,Pans,Shovels,Evos,both versions of the Sportster and the TC of course.

Shovels are the best blend of old and new. If I want fast there's other bikes in the garage for that.

That being said I've set landspeed records on an Evo. That's why I have a soft spot for the Evo. Over 100 reliable (for a racebike) horsepower from 80 cubic inches.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #36
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post

I've been working on Harleys almost as long as you've been breathing. When I started guys still brought their Pans in to the dealership for work. I've worked on Flatties,Knuckles,Pans,Shovels,Evos,both versions of the Sportster and the TC of course.

Shovels are the best blend of old and new. If I want fast there's other bikes in the garage for that.

That being said I've set landspeed records on an Evo. That's why I have a soft spot for the Evo. Over 100 reliable (for a racebike) horsepower from 80 cubic inches.
thks
I just like shovels
now more controversy
which one sounds the best
with which exhaust?
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #37
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Too subjective to bother with.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
It's true the EVO engine will not hold up to hot rodding (I know a Harley/Harley clone mechanic, and watched him rebuild an 80" EVO) But I don't understand this thing about power with a Harley. You want power, get a Hayabusa. A Harley is a cruiser. It's purpose is just to kick back and ride, enjoying the vibration and that wonderful exhaust sound. It is not a sport bike nor a muscle bike.

It's also a bike that many people like to spend thousands of dollars on in chrome, paint, and leather. But I'm not that type. A stock Harley EVO with some slightly louder than stock pipes would satisfy me just fine.
Some of us actually ride our Harleys, and mine doesnt have one piece of chrome on it. I had a GSXR 1000 which is a much better bike than a Hayabusa (the go to jap bike for internet goobers)

Then again I dont have an obnoxiously loud exhaust either and my bike runs extremely well for a 600 lb cruiser.

Do you own a Harley? Or is your experience mainly just watching your buddy build an Evo?
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #39
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,258
He has never owned a Harley. His experience is in internet fantasy.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #40
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
A question like this on this site, Bueller Bueller
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #41
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
A question like this on this site, Bueller Bueller
What?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #42
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
What?

bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
I put gear driven cams and the big bore kit in my 2000 Road King in 2001. I'm 100 miles shy of 90k and all I've done to it since then is change the oil. By far the most reliable motorcycle I've ever owned.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #44
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
If I was still going to have an around town bike, It would be a carbed evo, no question about it - love how they look , sound and smell. Ran them for many years and they are great, fun, reliable motors.

For multiple day rides on all kinds of roads, especially eating miles up on the highway I definitly prefer the 103 / 6 speed.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #45
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,077
It's funny and maybe a little scary that the shovelheads and now Evos are becoming "vintage". Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative.
drhach is online now   Reply With Quote