Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #61
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
And I believe I have said many times that I have never owned a Harley. That doesn't mean I don't want one, or know anything about them.
Uh.

OK.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #62
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
For sportsters 1986-1991 are the 4 speed Evo sportsters. They basically shared the 1984 Ironhead bottom end, tranny, and clutch / primary setup but had an Evo top end. They came in 883, 1100 (1986-87 only), and 1200 flavors. All were chain drive.

1991-2003 are the 5 speed Evo Sportsters. 1991 was the transition year for belt drive. Lots of variations like the "R", "S", low, hugger, custom, etc became available but they all had the same 883 or 1200 motor. The only real exception was the later "S" models which had different heads and ignitions. Most of the were carb bikes, with a crappy EFI system available as an option starting in the late 1990's

2004-now are rubbermounts. They could be had in carb (2004-2006 only) or EFI. The motor became rubbermounted for less vibration, and the frame as changed to accommodate. This added bout 100 lbs to the bike, but the 1200cc got the "XB" heads as standard equipment, so power went up too. The only real disadvantage for the rubbermounts is that the 'trap door' tranny was deleted... so you have to split the cases to access the tranny. This was the 'update' for the sportster line, shortly after the Twin Cam was released for the Big Twins.

Here's a Sportster 'secret' : The final drive ratio of 4th gear in a 4 speed is the same as 5th gear in a 5 speed... so they both cruise on the highway about the same. No one seems to want a 4 seed any more, but I love them. They are SO CHEAP now, you can get a nice one for $2000!!

I agree with what was posted earlier about he Sportster. "If it aint broke, don't fix it". I love the 4 cam Evo Sportster motors, and will be sad when HD does away with them. They are reliable, and easy to work on. They last forever, and can be pretty quick with a few simple mods. Sportsters rule!
You forgot one important Sporty upgrade, the XR1200.
It actually got liquid cooling of the exhaust seats before the new water-head T-C's, just with oil, wich is a much more integrated system than the T-C after tought thing.
I bet this engine will pop up again in standard Sportsters, since it is allredy a payed for technology.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #63
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
It was an option starting sometime in the late 1990s, I do not know the exact year. My Dad used to have a 95th anniversary Sportster, which was a 1998, and it was EFI. The EFI system really sucked though and he sold the bike pretty soon after buying it. Sorry, I don't have any more info on it...

EDIT: It may have been a dealer installed 'kit', since he bought the bike used. I thought it was factory though.
Not factory. I've never heard of or seen a production injected Sportster (Buell engines aside) prior to 2007.

Neither has Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Sportster

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #64
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
There was never a factory EFI Sportster until 2007. The Electra Glide had some EFI models from 1995 onward but wasn't a good bike until Harley began using the single throat Delphi system in 2002.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #65
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now that has got to be the smartest thing I've ever read on here. If all vehicle manufacturers felt that way, things would be just fine. H-D did great in leaving the engine alone (except for the FI) but if they keep making the things lower, it will be like sitting on a skateboard. The new Sportster Super Ultra Low already has a seat height lower than a Honda Rebel.

And why did they need to go any farther with the EVO? It was fine the way it was. maybe they could have refined it a bit more without any drastic changes.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #66
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,221
Quote:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now that has got to be the smartest thing I've ever read on here. If all vehicle manufacturers felt that way, things would be just fine. H-D did great in leaving the engine alone (except for the FI) but if they keep making the things lower, it will be like sitting on a skateboard. The new Sportster Super Ultra Low already has a seat height lower than a Honda Rebel.

And why did they need to go any farther with the EVO? It was fine the way it was. maybe they could have refined it a bit more without any drastic changes.
I mourned the end of the total loss oil system but I adapted. The change to overhead valves was unacceptable. I haven't purchased an new Harley since 1935 because of that mistake.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #67
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:

I understand. Much like the developmentally challenged, your technical brain just stopped growing at some point. The short bus only took you so far in life, and you fear that which is beyond your horizon. Don't cry little boy, it'll be ok.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #68
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:

JerryH, you're broke. Fix yourself. You know a guy who... You watched a guy who... Get out there and live before your old ass fucking dies. Remember life? Before your great grand kids got you the 'idiot box' computer and you quit doing things yourself? Go buy a damned Evo. Ride the sombitch. Then talk about what you know. Not what you read somewhere on some forum just before they shamed you out of the neighborhood.

But really, the newest well maintained HD you can afford is the best HD ever made.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #69
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I mourned the end of the total loss oil system but I adapted. The change to overhead valves was unacceptable. I haven't purchased an new Harley since 1935 because of that mistake.

and there it is...
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #70
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I mourned the end of the total loss oil system but I adapted.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #71
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now that has got to be the smartest thing I've ever read on here. If all vehicle manufacturers felt that way, things would be just fine. H-D did great in leaving the engine alone (This statement alone shows how little you know about Harleys-there are many changes in a single engine model run through the years)(except for the FI) but if they keep making the things lower, it will be like sitting on a skateboard. The new Sportster Super Ultra Low already has a seat height lower than a Honda Rebel.

Are you aware of the irony of typing that drivel on a computer?

You know nothing about Harley that couldn't be gleaned from a 1 second google search. Like I said buy a Pan and live with it daily for a few years and get back to me about "the good old days." Better yet a Knuck.

Old Harleys are fine antique motorcycles and that's the end of it. What it takes to ride a Shovel daily is beyond most riders. Let alone the older bikes.

Dumbass.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #72
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post

Old Harleys are fine antique motorcycles and that's the end of it. What it takes to ride a Shovel daily is beyond most riders. Let alone the older bikes.
This is true. When I was in college (about 8 years ago), my only transportation was a 1981 XLH 'Ironhead' Sportster. I think that bike taught me more than I learned in class. I had to be a good mechanic in order to get to school and work every day. I didn't know that when I bought the bike... all I knew was that Ironheads are cool. Now I know.

That being said, the next bike I bought was a 1969 XLCH. It was WAY cooler. But the magneto was very fussy and it left me limping after a few kicker slips or kick backs. I still have both bikes, and still ride them a lot, but they aren't my daily rides.

An Evo is WAY more modern and readable than an Ironhead, Pan, or Shovel. Elecric start, electronic ignition, hydraulic lifters (no valve adjustment), belt drive... etc. An Evo (or Twin Cam) is a throw your leg over and go bike.

In my mind, 1985 changed HD completely... in a GOOD way. Pretty much any HD newer than 1985 will give you thousands of maintenance free miles, assuming it was well taken care of.

HD's older than 1985 are time machines... I love mine for weekend cruises... but they aren't for commuting or traffic jams. Compare a 1970's HD to a 1970's Jap bike... the differences are amazing. The old HD even seems old in comparison to another bike of the same era...

Like has been said before, buy the newest bike that fits your budget. Some of the early Twin Cams are getting cheaper, and the 1990's Evos are a downright bargin.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #73
Duck Dodgers
Rock n’ Roll Refugee

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
For sportsters 1986-1991 are the 4 speed Evo sportsters. They basically shared the 1984 Ironhead bottom end, tranny, and clutch / primary setup but had an Evo top end. They came in 883, 1100 (1986-87 only), and 1200 flavors. All were chain drive.

1991-2003 are the 5 speed Evo Sportsters. 1991 was the transition year for belt drive. Lots of variations like the "R", "S", low, hugger, custom, etc became available but they all had the same 883 or 1200 motor. The only real exception was the later "S" models which had different heads and ignitions. Most of the were carb bikes, with a crappy EFI system available as an option starting in the late 1990's

2004-now are rubbermounts. They could be had in carb (2004-2006 only) or EFI. The motor became rubbermounted for less vibration, and the frame as changed to accommodate. This added bout 100 lbs to the bike, but the 1200cc got the "XB" heads as standard equipment, so power went up too. The only real disadvantage for the rubbermounts is that the 'trap door' tranny was deleted... so you have to split the cases to access the tranny. This was the 'update' for the sportster line, shortly after the Twin Cam was released for the Big Twins.

Here's a Sportster 'secret' : The final drive ratio of 4th gear in a 4 speed is the same as 5th gear in a 5 speed... so they both cruise on the highway about the same. No one seems to want a 4 seed any more, but I love them. They are SO CHEAP now, you can get a nice one for $2000!!

I agree with what was posted earlier about he Sportster. "If it aint broke, don't fix it". I love the 4 cam Evo Sportster motors, and will be sad when HD does away with them. They are reliable, and easy to work on. They last forever, and can be pretty quick with a few simple mods. Sportsters rule!
Nice info cept..... watch out for the 1991's. This as stated was a transition year. Some had 1990 parts, head light bucket etc. When ordering replacements you sometimes had to get the "conver$ion kit". DAMHIKT

And that secret is not TRUE. Please forward any Craigslist adds of 1986-1990 Sportster less than $2000 to me
Old 09-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #74
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Someone should start a new thread, Kick JerryH in the nuts until he keeps it to himself.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #75
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Someone should start a new thread, Kick JerryH in the nuts until he keeps it to himself.
The 94 Virago appreciation thread?
studad is offline   Reply With Quote