Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #76
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
Nice info cept..... watch out for the 1991's. This as stated was a transition year. Some had 1990 parts, head light bucket etc. When ordering replacements you sometimes had to get the "conver$ion kit". DAMHIKT

And that secret is not TRUE. Please forward any Craigslist adds of 1986-1990 Sportster less than $2000 to me
Yeah, the 1991 transition year can be a hodge-podge of parts. But transition year weirdness is pretty 'normal' for Harley Davidson.

If I'm mistaken about both 4 and 5 speeds having a 1:1 final drive ratio, please post the correct info, I'm interested to know. My service manual for a 4 speeds lists final drive as 1:1 for 4th gear with stock gearing. I have read online that 5th gear in a 5 speed is also 1:1.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #77
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Yes both transmissions have a 1:1 ratio. There's a reason for that.

I do not like OD transmissions. The trans design being unusual in that power enters and exits on the same shaft. When an OD is used the main drive gear and shaft rotate at different speeds accelerating wear on the bearing,shaft causing the seal to leak.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #78
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,083
I love my '91 evo FXR-SP.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #79
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

^^^^
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #80
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Are you aware of the irony of typing that drivel on a computer?

You know nothing about Harley that couldn't be gleaned from a 1 second google search. Like I said buy a Pan and live with it daily for a few years and get back to me about "the good old days." Better yet a Knuck.

Old Harleys are fine antique motorcycles and that's the end of it. What it takes to ride a Shovel daily is beyond most riders. Let alone the older bikes.

Dumbass.

Say whatever you want, the EVO is the best engine Harley ever made. It was modern enough to be reliable, and did not have all the issues the Twin Cam did. The Twin Cam is a stronger design, capable of making and holding up under more power, but it has many flaws the EVO didn't (cam drive problems, transmission problems, overheating, fuel injection, and a pressed together crank, just to name a few) I still don't see what power has to do with a Harley. The stock EVO has plenty of power for cruising and touring. If you don't mind a non Harley engine, you can get an S&S EVO that is much stronger than stock, and makes more power. It's a direct bolt in replacement.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #81
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,162
The Evo is indeed a fine engine, and one I have a lot of experience with.
You're looking at it with rose colored glasses though - it had it's own set of issues.
None of the issues in either engine series would keep me from buying a bike whether it be Evo, TC, TC88.... I'd look at the individual bike's history and care before buying it, and wouldn't be eliminating it from consideration because it's not an Evo, therefore will surely self-destruct.

Keep away from the generalizations on machines you have ZERO experience on - anyone can read internet forums, and don't have to take another internet 'expert' opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Say whatever you want, the EVO is the best engine Harley ever made. It was modern enough to be reliable, and did not have all the issues the Twin Cam did. The Twin Cam is a stronger design, capable of making and holding up under more power, but it has many flaws the EVO didn't (cam drive problems, transmission problems, overheating, fuel injection, and a pressed together crank, just to name a few) I still don't see what power has to do with a Harley. The stock EVO has plenty of power for cruising and touring. If you don't mind a non Harley engine, you can get an S&S EVO that is much stronger than stock, and makes more power. It's a direct bolt in replacement.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #82
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Stronger design? You say that and then in the same sentence go on to list these "problems." Have you any experience with the S&S engines? Not unless looking at them defines experience.

The cam drive issue is a maintenance issue having to do with link plate chains and the tension their weight requires. I've told so many they need to check on them at least every 30K miles and they squawk about the cost and put it off. When ignored it gets very expensive. Indeed Harley dropped the ball on this one and the "upgrade" simply isn't. A properly installed (gear pitch) gear drive is the real cure and it is not a cheap one. On some bikes it can mean a new/rebuilt crankshaft.

Let me say this once. There is no overheating problem with the TC88 family. In order to pass emissions the head is designed to retain heat to aid combustion. This is not to say they don't run hot,they do. It is a design feature,nothing more. If you've ever held a TC head it's a massive chunk of aluminum. This combined with an efficient cooling design results in a lot of heat radiating from a running engine,especially in traffic.

Those who point to the Rushmore design aren't paying attention. It has more compression and the air cooled design was at the limit for heat dissipation at the CR with today's shit fuel.

Transmission problems?? From what dark corner of the 'net did you dig that up?

Fuel injection? How is that a problem?

The 3 piece crank pressed together crankshaft has no inherent problems. The pinion run out issue is simply poor assembly and quality control.

You speak as though you have experience with Harleys when you admit to never having owned'lived with one. I have several friends that own Ferrraris and have even driven a couple of them. However I would never speak as though I knew about Ferrari ownership.

In closing Jerry you're clueless when it comes to Harley ownership. And a dumbass to boot. If you were smart you'd shut the fuck up. But we all know you'll keep babbling like a drunken sailor seeking a fight.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #83
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,956

Regarding the FI rigidmount sporty, maybe it was a Buell X1 FI conversion?
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #84
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

There have been a few EFI kits for Harleys over the years. However I cannot think of one made for the XL models.

And to remove a perfectly good carb and install the Buell TFI would be a mistake. They never quite got that one right. The only EFI I've ever seen fuel foul a plug. Finicky,hard starting,poor idle,everything EFI is not supposed to be. Not to mention the fact TFI uses a downdraft throttle body that would be a bear to install on a standard Sportster frame.

I'm sure some Buell owner will come to the defense of TFI but that is just my experience working for a Buell Pegasus award dealer.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #85
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 586
JerryH....just stfu and go back to your coloring books. JFC
#iaintmad
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #86
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,337

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #87
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Terrible writing, and full of shit. I don't dispute that the TC has some issues (particularly the earlier versions), but the author of that page is just full of it.
Yes, he is full of shit on many accounts, 90% of which i could dispute. I'm not a pro mechanic, just a guy who maintains, upgrades and repairs all kinds of HDs for eveyone I know who would rather pay me 50% of what the stealership charges. Plus I have 8 years of building land speed bikes based on HD engines.

I only see about 10% of the problems that douchebag says exists. None of which are potentially catastrophic. Heat is really the only problem and it really isn't such a huge problem that will cause failures. Even HD admits their new cooling system is about comfort levels and not performance.

It's been my experience that most HDs are pretty damn reliable if you leave them alone as designed and you do the routine maintainence. Most people who pick their mods, however, don't know how to pick them properly and the mods don't necessarily play well with existing parts as well as they could. Plus too many people don't maintain them properly or in a timely fashion. That's when things start going downhill. Other than that, the're pretty solid.

X1Glider screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 10:41 AM
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #88
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I don’t know how anyone can say the Evo is better than the TC.

Some things the TC has going for it:
1. Machining: The cases go through a total of 5 machine setups compared to 34 for the Evo. This is one of the reasons why the Evo leaks, every time you clamp it down, it distorts what was just machined.
2. The engine and tranny are bolted together as a unit making it stronger than the Evo. If you really hot rod the Evo, you’d better buy a Carlini torque arm.
3. TC has better combustion chamber, porting and piston design (and piston material)…at least on the 88”.
4. The breathing system is a little better but not much.
5. The dual cams gives a better actuation geometry on the rocker arms.
6. Lifters, while the same as the EVO, you no longer have to clean a screen (that many don’t even know exists) to the lifter blocks because of the improved oiling system.
7. Cooling… the TC cools just fine in it’s 88” form.
Against:
1. When HD bumped it up to 96” they did not redesign the ports, valve sizes, pistons or combustion chambers nor increase the cooling fin area, so it does run hotter and really only makes negligible more HP.
2. Same thing when they increased it to 103”.
3. Cam gear chains. This is a EPA noise thing. It is much quieter than gear drive. It’s the only reason they did this. As a result, just like in the primary, the tensioner block is a wear item, like brake pads and tires…you have to check it. If you don’t…that’s your own damn fault. But this is not to say they couldn’t have used a better material. I made my own primary block out of Nylatron which wears far better than the stock material.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #89
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
I rode an '89 FXRS-Sp for 20 years before finally getting a '2000 FXDX SG Sport. I kept the '89 for 3 years while I rode the SG juuuuuust in case I thought I wanted to keep it and sell the DX. Well I found myself riding the EVO less and less and it was simply because the DX was more comfy (with a DXT seat on it), more powerfull and a better road bike. I concluded that if I needed an in town bar hopper the Evo was better and if I wanted to do some longer distances while I'm still able, the Twin Cam was better so after 23 years of ownership, I sold the EVO. I installed the SE hydraulic cam plate in the DX to make the bike as bulet proof as possible without going to gear drive and I have not had any issues at all with it. There are alot of TC's out there with over 100K miles on them with little or no problems as long as their maintained and ridden correctly and that's pretty much the key with any bike. I miss the EVO sometimes as I had the motor tarted up and it was fun to spank in the ass but time moves on. Someday down the road I'm going to get me another Sportster to replace the DX with when all I want to do is blast around in town and raise hell. I always liked Sporties.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #90
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
X1Glider, that's some good info. Thanks.