Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
HolyCannoli OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
About to buy my first trials bike, any advice?

Hello all,

I have been wanting to get into trials for several years and am finally ready to take the plunge. A 1995 Montessa Cota 314r just popped up for sale 20 minutes from my house for $1500. Is this a good bike to start out on? Is this a decent price if the bike is in reasonable condition? What should I look for when looking at a used trials bike? Any advice from you trials pro's would be much appreciated! I AM SOOOOO excited to try this amazing corner of the motorcycle world!
HolyCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 294
For another $1000 you could get something used but functional in the 2007 range. The technology has come a long way, and a younger machine, even in tougher condition, may be a better learning experience. Lighter, better suspension and controls, and the always important, current dealer network. AZ tends towards Gas Gas, other markets favor other brands. Go to an event, poke around, see what everyone is riding. The more bikes of a make there are, the better the support network. I'm sure some of the East Coasters can point you in the right direction as to events.

Good luck! And welcome to the slow if occasionally terrifying side of motorsports. Trials will make you a hero on anything else with two wheels!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
HolyCannoli OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply and advice DerViking. I have been trying to locate a trials club in my area (1.5 hours west of Washington DC) but have has no luck. I have been looking in my area and the only other bike I have seen come up for sale is a 2012 Sherco 2.9 for $4000. Seemed really nice, maybe to nice for me . I hear you on the advance in technology but was tempted by the price.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 613
If my experience can help, I am a fellow noob to trials, (btw it is soo much fun and thoroughly addicting) I bought a 94 gasgas from a friend. Great bike and good to learn on, but after 2 trials I decided I wanted something a little more modern and moved up to an 04 Beta. One of the guys in the club joked that I had been in the club 2 months and had 2 trials bikes already ( I've go it bad). If you think you will really like it, go for something a little newer, 04 or more recent. Of course you could end up like me, an extra bike in the garage to hook my buddies with
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF706 View Post
Of course you could end up like me, an extra bike in the garage to hook my buddies with
That's what I'm talking about! I've got the friend hooking spare bike in the garage too!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 713
Wicked Get them all hooked!

Not always easy to convince the wife to let me barrow her bike but with 3 bikes (my 4RT, wife's Gas Gas 125 pro, daughter's beta 80) I have som options for buddy rides.

Back on topic. (Just about 9 months into trials now)

I actually picked up the 2008 Gas Gas pro 125 for the wife first, we both loved riding it so much we got mine and our daughters bikes within the next 3 months. I had a chance to ride a buddy's 95 Gas Gas and was glad I went newer, the 95 was good but new was well with it.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. And good luck I am sure you will love it!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
dptropepe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
If you're just starting out in trials, don't do as I did. I'm a power hog and wanted a big bore bike. After starting out on an old Beta, I wanted more power. Long story short, after several Adam Raga Specials I bought an '07 Beta 200. That bike and a lot of practice taught me how to ride. It was like cheating!
dptropepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
HolyCannoli OP
Adventurer

Gosh, I really appricate all of the advice guys. I am certainly not a big power guy and would actually prefer a smaller, newer trials bike but money changes everything. A 2009 gas gas txt 250 just popped up for $3700. Would this be too much bike? Is the price out of line? Sorry for all of the questions, this is just a big purchase.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCannoli View Post
Gosh, I really appricate all of the advice guys. I am certainly not a big power guy and would actually prefer a smaller, newer trials bike but money changes everything. A 2009 gas gas txt 250 just popped up for $3700. Would this be too much bike? Is the price out of line? Sorry for all of the questions, this is just a big purchase.
The Gas Gas is not too much bike, they can be set up mildly if needed. The Montesa may be a good $1500.00 bike, but don't expect too much from a $1500.00 bike, I recommend planning on spending at least $2500.00.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Unless the 09 is like brand new, its a high price. 10's go for around that and less. The 250 is IS a very good bike to start with, so maybe an aggressive offer would take it. If your not too big, a 200 is also very good bike to learn on and very capable in the right hands.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Your Problem is/will be, and it is hard to tell someone whos not "been there done that"...

Many people start any sport thinking they just want to have fun. But before you know it, they want to get better and compete to find out how they compare with their peers running the similar equipment. so, if you find out you like Trials and want to compete competitively, now you have to go out and buy another bike to compete with. To me that is where the FUN really is, I have posted this everywhere: in somewhere around 69, dad's 5 or 8 buddies all had a 110 Suzukis. they went everywhere all over Colorado exploring (before we knew about trials) and it was FUN because everyone faced the same things with same bike. a year later everyone had different bikes, some had big ol bore engine, and it was not fun, as it was obvious the 250 would outrun others, no need to "test" the theory, yada yada. Same with trials at some points, you show up riding that old bike, against everyone else it is like showing up with Flintston's rock carved bowling ball, against everyone else using the new balls. Sure technique and some that translates, but really, marble against some kind of miracle resin? really?

There are bikes out there, if you get in a hurry you Could spend more than you need to, to find out you should have waited, you know.

Now take this with a grain of salt, I dont know you from Adam, so this is advice to a person that is showing real interest, by asking questions... I would say, buy no older than 1999, if you ask me even newer is better, but 99 gasgas was pretty good for me in 2002. Even then those are getting old. But your situation could dictate differently, so get whatever you think you can afford then, just know there is a reason for new bikes every year, they improve more than just "looks" every year, dad buys a bike every year, since 2010, before that it was every other year. yeah helps he has the $ compared to me.

It is all about the variable "your goal/personality," with some a OLD outdated machine is "fun enough" but I say 7 of 10 that give this a fair shot, will instantly wish they had bought a 06 or newer bike, because now they have money tied up in old thing, they have to sell to get the better thing.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
you saw the CLUB LIST for North America? http://www.trialsclubs.us/

not sure how up to date it is, I think pretty good, a few of us try to at least email the list owner if we find anything...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
HolyCannoli OP
Adventurer

Ya, I was thinking of offering $3k for the 250. I would rather start on a 200 but they seem much more difficult to find. I'm a guy who still loves my 88 hawk GT over a liter sport bike so I get that smaller is better to learn on.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by dptropepe View Post
If you're just starting out in trials, don't do as I did. I'm a power hog and wanted a big bore bike. After starting out on an old Beta, I wanted more power. Long story short, after several Adam Raga Specials I bought an '07 Beta 200. That bike and a lot of practice taught me how to ride. It was like cheating!

Spot on.................being overbiked with a big bore bike which is much more difficult to ride, is something thats very very common. Unless you are a pretty good expert status rider, competing in harder events, the smaller bike will almost always mean much better results.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCannoli View Post
Ya, I was thinking of offering $3k for the 250. I would rather start on a 200 but they seem much more difficult to find. I'm a guy who still loves my 88 hawk GT over a liter sport bike so I get that smaller is better to learn on.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921201

I know the original owner of this 08 gg200 - a very nice Sr. Lady who barely rode it. Worse abuse the bike got was when her grandkids came to visit. Bike is in excellent shape. Your right - you dont see alot of these.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote