Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
madbiker1 OP
Evilman

Oddometer: 162
Another round of adventure on a couple of KTM9x0's and a DL650 into BC Interior

Another run into the interior of BC.

I was looking to join into a Washington Backroads Trail run but I couldn't manage the time off. After sitting with the guys and thinking how great it would be to get another motorcycle trip in before the rain started, I looked at planning some interesting routes through BC just to get my fix.
I couldn't get all of the usual gang together due to prior commitments but Gamaman and I managed to get it together based on a conversation we had over subs one evening. This was tactfully presented in front of his wife so that the approval process could begin

So - the plan. We have Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday. We MUST be back for Monday morning bright and early - 7am. I'll have a class of new motorcyclists waiting for me to teach them how to ride in traffic. Gamaman will have a line up of customers beating down the door to get their cars fixed.
The route - we have a route of about 1500kms planned. 900kms of that route is offroad BUT it is planned on google maps.
Our day starts off at 5pm on Friday - we leave work after quickly purchasing the liquid gold that KTM calls oil and then heading out for the 6pm ferry.

AND THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!! Off to Hope we go. I have a room booked at an RV resort that's fairly cheap. It's about 180km to Hope from the ferry terminal and we arrive after dark but we're slabbing it all the way. Nothin' really exciting other than just covering ground.

Nice little car on the ferry:

Saturday morning - we headed north after having breakfast in Hope. Our route was supposed to take us around the Old Coquihalla Road but the gate at the south end got in the way of that plan. We instead fiddled around on some logging roads in the area and found a little single track trail that paralleled the highway for a bit.
We then headed north to the entrance of the Tulameen FSR and did some high speed logging road action.

At around halfway, my bike started to do some strange things which I attributed to altitude. The bike didn't seem to want to rev over 7000rpm. Once we got to Tulameen, it got a little worse and wouldn't rev over 5000. We limped along (well, limped is a little bit of an exaggeration - we limped at 100km/hr) to Princeton and stopped for gas. At this point, the bike wouldn't rev over 4000rpm and it was looking dicey. We filled the bike and I said that I'd try the 15 minute reset to see if it would do anything. The bike ran for 14 minutes and then crapped out completely. No start, no nothing. We were stuck. I had this problem once before although it was far more gradual. A plugged fuel filter was the cause. We drained off the gas tank and took the bike apart. We took the fuel pump out and pulled the fuel sock off and stuck the bike back together - voila! Instant power! Actually, best power I have had in a LOOOOONG while. The filter on the bike had been changed about 10,000kms ago but obviously something had plugged it up.
This little mechanical problem put us behind by about 3 hours which wasn't helpful for covering the mileage that we intended for the first day. Our route was supposed to bring us through the back roads up to Clinton so that we could get an early start on the Big Bar Ferry - which Gamaman missed doing last time we were out.
We continued on our journey. Off to Hedley. There was a twisty dirt road that went up the hillside on the east side of Hedley and went over Apex Mountain.

Once at the top of Apex Mountain, the road was paved and got very twisty with a large number of 20-30km/hr (marked, not necessarily executed at) hairpin turns.
Coming down into Penticton, we stopped for a drink, called our third rider who was planning to meet us in Kamloops for the night and then we planned our route from there. We did Westside road - a fantastic paved road following the lake. We then cut across onto Barhartvale Road and did some more ranchland roads. It was dark by this time and we finally rolled into Kamloops about 8pm where we spent the night.
madbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
madbiker1 OP
Evilman

Sunday

Up early - we were off after having about 4 hours sleep. We had quite a bit of ground to cover. 500kms on Saturday, 180kms on Friday. We're still a long way off the 1500.
We headed along the highway for the first stretch and ended up in Cache Creek. From here, we went across the dirt roads around McLean Lake which are always fun and scenic:

Behind that tinted visor, you can see a HUGE grin.

Coming out to Hat Creek Road, we went north and met up with Pavillion road which would bring us into Clinton for gas before the long stretch through the Big Bar Ferry area.

A quiet fisherman enjoying the lake

Heading north, we came down High Bar Road and zigzagged our way into the valley that the Fraser River had carved out.

We arrived at the Big Bar Ferry after about an hour ride - we made good time.

madbiker1 screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 09:44 PM
Old 09-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Starbucks101
1 dark roast 2 cream

Oddometer: 20
Very cool, loved the pics.
Starbucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Pretty cool photo!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
judomaniak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
awesome pics,looks like fun guys
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
madbiker1 OP
Evilman

I haven't managed to finish this ride report yet - although there weren't too many pictures taken after the ferry. Our route took us back over China Head Trail where there was a washout of the road. This was a bit of a problem for us but we made it across after some negotiation. After that, it was smooth sailing for about 100km down the Yalakom FSR back to Lillooet. Duffy Lake road to Pemberton went smoothly with a small amount of traffic. After Pemberton, the ride turned a little ugly. It got dark, we were trying to make a ferry, and the rain came in biblical amounts. I hadn't brought rain gear as the two days we were away were predicted to be hot and sunny.
We were aiming for the 9:30 Horseshoe Bay ferry but after riding behind cars on the sea to sky highway at 60km/hr, we missed that. On top of that, there was an ominous sign outside of Squamish that said that the highway was closed due to an accident. We continued on as we had no other choice in the pouring rain thinking that we would catch the 10:45 ferry to Nanaimo. That didn't work out so well since the 10:45 ferry to Nanaimo was actually out of Tsawassen. Another hour ride down to Tsawassen at break neck speed landed us at the ferry terminal at 10:39 and we were on. We got off the boat in Nanaimo around 12:45, headed home and arrived at the house around 3am- only to get up at 5am to do a full day in the rain of motorcycle instructing.
All in all, the trip was fantastic. Good scenery and good trails that we'll incorporate into some future rides.

madbiker1 screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 01:08 PM
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
madbiker1 OP
Evilman

I was really looking forward to the cupcakes!!

A decent part of the trail - relatively smooth.

Nice little creek crossing.

The washout - soft and rocky but passable. Took a little work.