Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #1
JBird OP
Retriever

Oddometer: 819
Question 2610 Question

Does the 2610 have the ability to save a track as route to follow later?? I can't find any documentation on how to do this. On other Garmin products tracks are easily saved. Thanks!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Big Nick
Deep in SE Asia

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird
Does the 2610 have the ability to save a track as route to follow later?? I can't find any documentation on how to do this. On other Garmin products tracks are easily saved. Thanks!
Yes I believe is the answer. All my trips had tracks to save and of course you have the ability to set waypoints if you find something particularly cool that you have to revisit.

As I think about it, I always had to get the track off the unit on to the computer first to adjust and name etc....not sure if you have the option on the unit. Mines in a shipping container at the moment somewhere in the Atlantic

Not sure I helped, N
Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Not possible on the Streetpilots ... the 376C (and many others) have saved track logs and Trackback (makes a route from a track) directly in the unit.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
The SP2610 has a 2000 point tracklog but no trackback feature
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,852
Quote:
NO you cannot save a track log to the 2610. This is why I wouldn't have one. It does put down a 2,000 point track log (that eats itself up) so when you got home you could download to Mapsource and save it. But you can't store track logs in the unit. Nor can you upload tracks to it. It has no "saved" track log function.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
I upload my track into the computer then used the route tool to trace it and create a route for downloading back to the 2610. I also create a reverse route it so I can hit it from either direction.

Another related question, though....

Anyone know how to increase the distances between the 2000 track waypoints so I can capture more than 200-300 miles?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #7
JBird OP
Retriever

Thumbs down

Thanks for the replys! This is what I was afraid of! I'll try loading the track to Mapsource and making a route out of it. The inability to save these tracks right on the unit really sucks!! I may have to sell it and look at the 276.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
Old 08-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
Anyone know how to increase the distances between the 2000 track waypoints so I can capture more than 200-300 miles?
Yeah ... drive in a straight line!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
I upload my track into the computer then used the route tool to trace it and create a route for downloading back to the 2610. I also create a reverse route it so I can hit it from either direction.
Can you describe how you do this? I have a track that I want to convert to a route in order to save it.

One thing I do is to enter "mini-routes" while travelling. I pick a destination and route to it. Each one of these mini routes can be downloaded. Of course, if you are wandering, that is no help.
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
RBikerT
Ride the Weird

Oddometer: 221
??????

If you have a tracklog in your 2610 then you simply choose the upload icon from the control screen on your computer.

They had a logic for not putting a trackback feature in, damned if I can remember it though.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:06 AM   #11
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS
Yeah ... drive in a straight line!
If you don't know (understand you R a GPS whiz) then it can't be done. Well that sucks.... what's the purpose, then, of having the track log record three waypoints around one corner? To calculate a more accurate speed, I guess, but who cares about that.... except cops seeking to incriminate you with your own evidence .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Bob
Can you describe how you do this?
When you link the 2610 and click on the upload icon, you have a choice to upload waypoint, routes, tracks.... make sure tracks is clicked. Then when you open the associated map in Mapsource, the track you uploaded should appear as a breadcrumb trial on the map (Note: the breadcrumb feature was added in a subsequent free software upgrade off the Garmin website - make sure that you have the lastest version. My 2610 did not have this feature when I first purchased it in Spring of '04). Then, I trace the breadcrumbs by using the "routing tool" where to you anchor the starting point and the program additively creates a route evertime to click your mouse further up the breadcrumb trail (cntrl Z, I believe, steps you back if you make a mistake). Finally, as any route created on the PC, name it, reverse it if you want, and then download it.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
JBird OP
Retriever

Snapper,

Thanks! I looked at this last night and couldn't figure out how to convert the track to a route. Kind of a pain in a$$.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
Old 08-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #13
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
what's the purpose, then, of having the track log record three waypoints around one corner?
The old GPSIII+ -- and I'd imagine that models like the x76C are similarly featured -- allowed the user to set the track log at one of three values: Time, Distance, Resolution ("curviness").

So why are this and the trackback missing from the Streetpilots? Probably a move toward simplification. First of all, if an SP user had set his track logging to record a point, say, every 5 miles ... that would be all but useless. Removing it reduces the calls that tech support must handle. If Trackback were an included option ... don't get me started. Because the logic is incapable of "recognizing" one-way ramps and highway lanes as such, the trackbacked route (should any of these features be part of the track) would include crazy loopbacks just to touch all of the points in the pre-reversed route. More nightmares ... conclusion: they sell the SPs as an everyman navigator, if you want the technical bells and whistles you need to step into a marine unit.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #14
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
When you link the 2610 and click on the upload icon, you have a choice to upload waypoint, routes, tracks.... make sure tracks is clicked. Then when you open the associated map in Mapsource, the track you uploaded should appear as a breadcrumb trial on the map (Note: the breadcrumb feature was added in a subsequent free software upgrade off the Garmin website - make sure that you have the lastest version. My 2610 did not have this feature when I first purchased it in Spring of '04). Then, I trace the breadcrumbs by using the "routing tool" where to you anchor the starting point and the program additively creates a route evertime to click your mouse further up the breadcrumb trail (cntrl Z, I believe, steps you back if you make a mistake). Finally, as any route created on the PC, name it, reverse it if you want, and then download it.
bringing back a good ol dead thread (atleast i searched before creating a new one !!)

I am having a problem when i try to transfer tracks from Mapsource to my 2610.

This is what i did :

1. I created a track using Google-earth, saved the file as a .kml
2. converted this .kml file to .gdb using the gpsbabel converter
3. opened the .gdb file in mapsource and i could see the track.
4. I then connected my 2610 to the laptop using the USB cable, and transfered the track Mapsource to the GPS unit. (the box for "tracks" was checked)

The problem is that the new track does not show on the GPS !!!

I changed the name of the track to "ACTIVE LOG" and transfered it again, but it still does not show on the GPS.

After going thru this thread, i understand that the 2610 does not have the capability to "accept" tracks from mapsource, but it can only record the tracks which you can transfer TO mapsource.

In this case, will it solve the problem if i open the track i created, in mapsource, draw a "route" over it and then transfer this route to the 2610 ?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
No you can't. Upload the tracks to your computer and then use WinGDB to convert these tracks to routes.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote