Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #31
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Actually I have unfortunately.

Overweight, under powered, bad handling seems to sum them up pretty accurately.

I just do not get the harley lifestyle either, a slow bike with a loud exhaust being revved up at every stoplight trying to make people think it is a "bad ass fast bike" when it is anything but that.
Which modern Harley have you ridden?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #32
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
My guess is that people who bash Harley's haven't ridden one. I did a demo day fully expecting to hate a Harley based on what I'd read on the internet. I should note that I am only speaking of Harley Touring bikes. I went in with an open mind though. I tempered my expectations with a healthy dose of reality too. I certainly didn't expect a 900 pound Harley dresser to be anything like the SV1000 I had. That said, I was sure I would have fodder for bashing Harley. I had a grin on my face for the entire ride. It was a fun ride. When I got serious about buying a dressed out touring bike, the experience I had with the Harley demo found me in their shop negotiating to buy one. I ultimately went with a Victory as I was able to get it about 5K cheaper than a comparably equipped Harley, but their demo days won me over as a prospective buyer.

If people are expecting a 900 pound dressed out touring bike to behave like a sport bike that weighs half as much, they will surely be disappointed, much as a full dress touring bike rider would be disappointed in a 400 pound sport bike on a cross country tour.

My local dealer has a couple of demo bikes. I rode the 2014 Ultra and that is a really nice motorcycle. Big price tag but if I am going to spend that much money 5 grand one way or the other is no big deal. I was very impressed.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #33
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
Will you gentlemen stop quoting that moran? It defeats my ignore list.
You need a better ignore script.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
lmao, resorting to personal attacks because someone doesn't like the pirate lifestyle?

Sorry you bought a turd, maybe if you keep revving the engine up at stoplights someone might be impressed eventually instead of rolling their eyes at you and laughing.
This is how he responds to anyone who disagrees with him. Not worth the time to reply to him.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #35
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
This is how he responds to anyone who disagrees with him. Not worth the time to reply to him.

Jim
you are still a dufus.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #36
IrishCatholic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
My guess is that people who bash Harley's haven't ridden one. I did a demo day fully expecting to hate a Harley based on what I'd read on the internet. I should note that I am only speaking of Harley Touring bikes. I went in with an open mind though. I tempered my expectations with a healthy dose of reality too. I certainly didn't expect a 900 pound Harley dresser to be anything like the SV1000 I had. That said, I was sure I would have fodder for bashing Harley. I had a grin on my face for the entire ride. It was a fun ride. When I got serious about buying a dressed out touring bike, the experience I had with the Harley demo found me in their shop negotiating to buy one. I ultimately went with a Victory as I was able to get it about 5K cheaper than a comparably equipped Harley, but their demo days won me over as a prospective buyer.

If people are expecting a 900 pound dressed out touring bike to behave like a sport bike that weighs half as much, they will surely be disappointed, much as a full dress touring bike rider would be disappointed in a 400 pound sport bike on a cross country tour.
Well written and my experience exactly - the Ultra was really fun to ride! I was very pleasantly surprised. I know there are a lot of weekend wanna be bad guys riding Harleys, and HD probably does make more revenues selling tee shirts than selling motorcycles, but that doesn't take away from the fact the Ultra is a really fun, laid back bike.

Spoiler Alert - a lot of people don't think so highly of the BMW crowd either. I suspect it's like everything else: 20% of the people create the bad reputation for the other 80%, be it HD or BMW or anything else.

I maintain my position - if someone offers to let me stop by and demo their bikes - I'm going (at least once) and I encourage everyone to do it - unless you have some unresolved motorcycle brand issues you're struggling with (remember, denial is the first sign of addiction - lol)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #37
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCatholic View Post
HD probably does make more revenues selling tee shirts than selling motorcycles, ...
You don't actually believe this do you?

(All Apparel combined including Leathers is less than 10%)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #38
IrishCatholic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
You don't actually believe this do you?

(All Apparel combined including Leathers is less than 10%)
No, I don't, but the Harley Davidson is a lifestyle, not a motorcycle folks surely do - wouldn't you agree?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
They have done a superb job of creating and branding to be sure but they are a motorcycle company first and foremost. If you are going to own a feet forward cruiser type of bike then Harley should be on top of the list of bikes to consider.

We have it good these days. There are no bad motorcycles any more… At least not from a major manufacturer. All are great bikes! Victory, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki… ALL GOOD. For the Cruiser Crowd, you just can't out Harley a Harley.

For adventure bikes they would not even make it onto the list.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #40
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,535
I rented an Electra Glide ultra in Vegas 2 years ago... I've been dreaming of one ever since. I'd have to keep my other bikes though... Different tools for different jobs.

I don't get the bashing, I grew up on bikes, been riding since 1976, my Dad started me out, we always wave to other bikes on the road regardless of brand. I would say I was brought up in a "non" Harley house, Dad always preferred British or Japanese bikes, but a bike is a bike, Keep on ridin'

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #41
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCatholic View Post
No, I don't, but the Harley Davidson is a lifestyle, not a motorcycle folks surely do - wouldn't you agree?
Couldn't all motorcycles be called a lifestyle?
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #42
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Couldn't all motorcycles be called a lifestyle?
No, some people just use motorcycles for transportation.
To me motorcycles are a hobby like sailing, hiking, ranching, building furniture, etc. but definitely not a lifestyle for me.
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #43
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
No, some people just use motorcycles for transportation.
To me motorcycles are a hobby like sailing, hiking, ranching, building furniture, etc. but definitely not a lifestyle for me.

So only a lifestyle if you ride everyday rather than as leisure? A lot of HD's don't ride every day so they can't be a lifestyle.

Serious question- why is HD a lifestyle but a BMW GS (for example) isn't?

Why is being passionate about something a bad thing anyway?
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #44
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
We have it good these days. There are no bad motorcycles any more… At least not from a major manufacturer. All are great bikes! Victory, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki… ALL GOOD. For the Cruiser Crowd, you just can't out Harley a Harley.
Very true. It seems to me that HD is on the verge of a transformation. Hopefully the new 500 cc will live up to the company's build quality. If so, then they will start to actually offer a range of motorcycles and be able to break out of the old pot-bellied pirate box.

HD are currently in about the same position BMW was in the mid 80s, with several variants all based on the air head opposed twin. BMW had the brick, similar to the V-Rod, but it didn't catch on with the faithful. Now BMW offers a full range of bikes with all kinds of propulsion but they kept their soul. Ducati has branched out in the same way to a lesser degree with a range from hard core race bikes to sport/adventure, motard, muscle cruisers, and soon a scrambler. KTM is another example of a company that once only did dirt bikes but now offer a wide range but they kept their ready to race identity.

Now it's Harley's turn to grow up. Their engineers must be having a blast developing something actually new instead of another handlebar tassel or chrome do-dad. Their future looks bright. Electric Harley anyone?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #45
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Very true. It seems to me that HD is on the verge of a transformation. Hopefully the new 500 cc will live up to the company's build quality. If so, then they will start to actually offer a range of motorcycles and be able to break out of the old pot-bellied pirate box.

HD are currently in about the same position BMW was in the mid 80s, with several variants all based on the air head opposed twin. BMW had the brick, similar to the V-Rod, but it didn't catch on with the faithful. Now BMW offers a full range of bikes with all kinds of propulsion but they kept their soul. Ducati has branched out in the same way to a lesser degree with a range from hard core race bikes to sport/adventure, motard, muscle cruisers, and soon a scrambler. KTM is another example of a company that once only did dirt bikes but now offer a wide range but they kept their ready to race identity.

Now it's Harley's turn to grow up. Their engineers must be having a blast developing something actually new instead of another handlebar tassel or chrome do-dad. Their future looks bright. Electric Harley anyone?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Why?? Why??