User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Eli,
First off,don't worry about riding the class you want to ride in T.I. events,have fun!!!
2nd,hope my advice in sat section 10 helped,you seemed to do just fine on that log the remaining loops,so you can learn!(I repeatedly forget everything I practice during the week when I get into a section!!!)
I too have socialization issues,but trials people are freakin' awesome and will take you in and love you! If you are from Zanesville you do have a good local crew to ride with,Start by contacting Steve Williams who does the Newark trials,GREAT Guy!(I don't have his contact info,but everyone knows who he is at the events)BTW,The intermediate lines at both Newark and Stoney Lonesome are WAY harder than the Novice line. Riding with others is very important to advance,to have them critique you and so you can watch how they do things.
T.I. has the option of the "open" class,you can look at each section and pick the line you want to ride in each section,just tell the observer what line you are riding before entering the section. Possibly the funnest way to ride a trial I'd bet.
Volunteer to work a section,they'll pair you with a experienced checker so you only have to punch scores,not decide the fate of others,watch how the advanced riders take EVERY inch of a section seriously,every twig and pebble is considered and actively dealt with,I see Novices(and lots of intermediates) just plow through the sections to get to what they consider the "challenge" of the section only to dab somewhere dumb. Watch the Body maneuvers of the riders,not the bike so much,listen to when they are on and off the throttle.
If you see me at the events(red Dodge Dually,Sherco or Fantic vintage) don't hesitate to come say hi!(Won't make the next one,too busy at work to swing the time off,I live at the western side of Indiana so it's a haul for me,maybe I'll make Coal Hollow,we'll see)

P.S. Section 6 on sunday was much of my doing, I am definitely on AnnMarie's sh*tlist...

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv

dmay screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 08:03 PM
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
At some point you realize "I got this" in the class, so try the next one. It should set you on your heels a bit, but feel like "OK, I can do this".
You did mention riding the lines for the next class up -- I gua-ron-tee everyone will encourage this. And why stop at three rounds? I often ride more passes through sections that have interested or defeated me -- usually get the clean as soon as it doesn't count!
Dood, it's trials! We all have the same affliction.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
Choicecut OP
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
Eli,
First off,don't worry about riding the class you want to ride in T.I. events,have fun!!!
2nd,hope my advice in sat section 10 helped,you seemed to do just fine on that log the remaining loops,so you can learn!

P.S. Section 6 on sunday was much of my doing, I am definitely on AnnMarie's sh*tlist...

It sure did! You and AnnMarie gave me some pointers for that section that helped a ton. Didn't have any issues with it the rest of the day. MikeC also gave me the pointer of keeping my knees out, which made a world of difference for me in the creek bed. I plan to ride both coal hollow and wildwood if things pan out like they seem to be, so maybe I will see you at one of the two.

Section 6! Arrrg. That was the only section I struggled with on Sunday. The first attempt resulted in me whiskey throttling off that first banked turn down over the bank and into the trees! My fork tube thanks you:

Luckily the dent is above the seal and below the dust cover so I think it will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
At some point you realize "I got this" in the class, so try the next one. It should set you on your heels a bit, but feel like "OK, I can do this".
You did mention riding the lines for the next class up -- I gua-ron-tee everyone will encourage this. And why stop at three rounds? I often ride more passes through sections that have interested or defeated me -- usually get the clean as soon as it doesn't count!
Dood, it's trials! We all have the same affliction.

I think I will give some of the Intermediate lines a try next event after I finish running the Novice. I was afraid I would be intruding on other folks by taking an extra lap. I won't hesitate next time!
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
no2tracks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Get some fork guards on there! Cheaper than replacing a tube!

I usually get through the event faster than most, so I go and run some lines again or do the next-class-up lines. Also, go out and ride whenever and wherever you can. Time on the pegs has really helped me.

Volunteer to help set and run an event. They need the help and it gives you a lot of peg time and helps to develop relationships.
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
Then take them along! Don't know about the club you're riding with, Trials is a family affair out West.

I rode one novice trial, and one season of intermediate, before moving to the afternoon. (extensive bicycle trial background) I have never had a clean card, or a clean loop. I felt I could handle the challenge, so I kept moving up, and no one ever said anything. I got to Expert, my goal, and struggled for two seasons. Now I have hit my stride, and I am not totally puckered up on the first lap.... Pro is probably out of the question, now I just have to get that clean loop.

If you are having out of control crashes, but scoring well, then I would guess you are well on your way. Practice a bunch, dial in your control, and move up in the spring. Whats the worst that could happen?
Der,

there are always exceptions to the rule. Lots of trials experience is your exception Plus determination you have shown in Bike trials probably. I have to say things more generic, NOT every newbie to trials will end up at expert, especially if they rush it, dont practice, and get the skills down pat (master the skills). my previously laid out, although shortened to a couple main points, the theory works... has worked well for many. Clean loops (should been the goal) not just the "must have" I guess it looked like I typed. Ive seen a few do them, but a most will barely fell short of those goals. Ribbonitus...

For the average to meddling, it takes a while to get to a good "base" skills, where you have covered throttle control, clutch control, turns, and many things are in competency, not mastered as such.

you'll know it is time to move up when you are beating the sections & the "trials master" that setup your lines, aka with clean cards or loops, or damn near it, not whether you are beating others. that is the main thing.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #21
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choicecut View Post
I would like to find a mentor, but my awkwardness and inability to socialize gets the best of me, and there doesn't seem to be anyone close to where I live that rides trials. I went by myself to the last event, about 4 hours from where I live, and I think I said a total of 10 sentences the entire weekend. There are two individuals that have given me pointers (after seeing me crash ) which has helped me immensely. Need to break out of my shell and talk more, but it's difficult for me when I don't have a computer to hide behind or my wife and daughter there to serve as a buffer.
Sounds like you may be the engineer type!

As one who has long had an intense inward life and has often been socially awkward (thank God for beer), I feel for you. It's taken me years to learn to relax and let melt away some of the 'asshole' energy I apply toward myself and have inadvertently leak out when under the pressure of competition. Trials and age have helped me take myself less seriously, which in turn has helped me to relax and get more into the Zen of trials. The right balance is not giving a crap, and giving a crap just enough to want to achieve. Having fun is what it really is about, and being kind to yourself first makes it easier to be show empathy and a smile toward others.

I'm terribly insecure about names, and that's made me realize a good part of the problem is the insecurity itself, which creates a negative feedback loop. if I relax about names, they come to me. if I worry, they are blocked.

Another challenge I find is athleticism requires me to shut down the chatty side of my brain and go more 'animal' and non verbal. Great athletes often have a blank look about them while they do effortlessly what comes hard and looks hard for others. It's a developed skill to switch off the chatty brain to ride a section with a focused animal brain, then go verbal have a fun and friendly chat with your mates (so they know you are in fact not an animal, but a human being (Leslie Nielson comes to mind). That comes easy for some, and hard for some. But given neuroplasticity, any of us can learn darned near anything if we want to.

So... one measure of moving up is when riding at a level you can control chatty brain most of the time. Chatty brain is brought on in part by more challenging sections and the stress that brings to bear on us. If you are blaming yourself for riding this or that like crap, you're still giving a crap too much and should stay where you are a while longer :-)

motobene screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 06:54 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Hey, Eli!
So glad to see you out there agian, and glad you stayed in Novice. it's so sad to see guys who jump straight into intermediate (saw one go to sportsman on his first day on a trials bike!) - and then get upset and b/c they can't or wont' face teh ego hit of moving down, they quit. don't want to see you do that!

your family is SOOO welcome at TI. i sure hope we'll see them there. sadly, we won't be at wildwood, but hope to see you at cole hollow.

My thoughts on moving to intermediate? I know it will be a lonnng time for me - and the win rule wouldn't work for me, as the novice class is so often empty or nearly empty. But right now I practice intermediate level stuff at home as often as I can, and after the event is over, I go back out and ride some intermediate lines.

ONE THOUGHT on going back on the loop, you sort of hit on. Be sure that you aren't holding up someone who is rushing to finish. I did go back out on Sunday -w ith permission - and laid down a 4th loop, sans one section tha I didntn want to see again (hint hint Doug!) - mainly for the fitness of the added ride time.

One more option -- ride the loop early Saturday morning and walk the sections. if you feel you can ride most of the intermediate stuff, try it that day. If you see more than 2 that look terrifying, stay with us in novice or make it an 'open' day.

PS: to those who don't ride TI, our classes are
novice
intermediate
sportsman
advanced
expert
champ

(with a senior intermediate and a senior sportsman plus a vintage novice)

I **SO** iwsh the sport would standardize on names....
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcross View Post

PS: to those who don't ride TI, our classes are
novice
intermediate
sportsman
advanced
expert
champ

(with a senior intermediate and a senior sportsman plus a vintage novice)

I **SO** iwsh the sport would standardize on names....
The placement of your Intermediate class sort of defies the definition of the word.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
The placement of your Intermediate class sort of defies the definition of the word.
Hers isn't the only one... Before I moved to Boise, in Seattle we had...
beginner (only if they had 3 or more people that wanted to ride it)
novice
intermediate
- Sr intermediate
advanced
- Sr advanced (I don't recall for sure on this one but it rings a bell)
expert
champ

(vintage novice & intermediate)

And our sportsman was a between classes option where AM sportsman could ride any novice or intermediate line, and the PM sportsman could rider any Advanced or Expert line. (It was used as a class for people who wanted to test the waters before jumping class or not. )

loved they way they ran things for someone as new as I was when I started but doesn't sound anything like everywhere else.

Maybe some day there will be at least a # to go with the class so it helps people pick the right one if they change clubs...

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 10:14 PM Reason: corrections...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #25
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I suspect the name comes from being half way between a novice and a sportsman ... not half way through the ranks. ;)
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #26
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,204
Here in NM, our Sportsman class can be tough on those lacking the skilz to move into it.
It is a class where our TMs really challenge your turning and clutch control.
It is a great class to master some of the stuff that you need to ride the bike with any finesse.
Btw it's at the top of our morning classes around here.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Here in NM, our Sportsman Intermediate class can be tough on those lacking the skilz to move into it.
It is a class where our TMs really challenge your turning and clutch control.
It is a great class to master some of the stuff that you need to ride the bike with any finesse.
Btw it's at the top of our morning classes around here.
I feex.

Sportsman is at the bottom of the PM classes. The loops themselves become much tougher and there is more emphasis on fitness. Sportsman = someone probably ready for Clubman at a national (maybe) but not necessarily.

That's why I rode Intermediate pre-injury, and I am slowly working my way back up.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I feex.

Sportsman is at the bottom of the PM classes. The loops themselves become much tougher and there is more emphasis on fitness. Sportsman = someone probably ready for Clubman at a national (maybe) but not necessarily.

That's why I rode Intermediate pre-injury, and I am slowly working my way back up.

Yeah, what he said. Intermediate is what I meant. THAT Is where you learn how to turn around here.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I see from a previous post that you are running up to 6 separate classes in US trials. How exactly do you work out what class a rider should be competing in? Here you go up after a novice or intermediate class win at an open event.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choicecut View Post
I would like to find a mentor, but my awkwardness and inability to socialize gets the best of me, and there doesn't seem to be anyone close to where I live that rides trials. I went by myself to the last event, about 4 hours from where I live, and I think I said a total of 10 sentences the entire weekend. There are two individuals that have given me pointers (after seeing me crash ) which has helped me immensely. Need to break out of my shell and talk more, but it's difficult for me when I don't have a computer to hide behind or my wife and daughter there to serve as a buffer.
November 10, Granogue DE. Free camping the night prior. The Tri-State Trialers will be hosting a MAVT trial - the last of the season. The flyer should be available soon.

This year, I will ride as a mentor/minder for new riders on the 4 (beginner) line to help with any questions or concerns that may arise. Another club in our series did this a couple of months back and had just one taker who spoke highly of the experience.

We've already sorta met, so no need to be uncomfortable. I'll help you (and any other newbie takers - I suspect a very small group) through sign-up, finding the sections, line selection, collecting your trophy, etc. The concerns you've mentioned in a few posts are exactly what we're hoping to help with.

I do hope you'll consider it. It's a great event.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote