User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Air Force drops reflective vest requirement

I'm Army but I live on an Nellis Air Force base. Yesterday the gate guard told me that a reflective vest was no longer required to get on base. Nor is it required to wear a "brightly colored" uppergarment at all. Still required are helmet, eye pro, gloves, long sleeves, long pants and over the ankle boots.

This mirrors what I saw last week while attending a class at Joint Base Lewis McChord near Seattle, where almost no riders were wearing vests. This is recent, like the last two weeks.

Personally I hated having to wear a reflective vest, so I'm happy with this change.

I am curious what prompted the change. I haven't seen any articles or announcements after searching online.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
I'm Army but I live on an Nellis Air Force base. Yesterday the gate guard told me that a reflective vest was no longer required to get on base. Nor is it required to wear a "brightly colored" uppergarment at all. Still required are helmet, eye pro, gloves, long sleeves, long pants and over the ankle boots.

This mirrors what I saw last week while attending a class at Joint Base Lewis McChord near Seattle, where almost no riders were wearing vests. This is recent, like the last two weeks.

Personally I hated having to wear a reflective vest, so I'm happy with this change.

I am curious what prompted the change. I haven't seen any articles or announcements after searching online.

This in interesting! They pushed the vest issue so hard when I was stationed On Camp Pendleton back in the day, we would just take it off as soon as we cleared the front gate though....

funny thing is now thought, I am all about being conspicuous out there, white helmet, Toxic color olympic coat, reflective tape on the panniers......
Old 09-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 251
Navy region SW did away with the requirement back in July, although the brightly colored and reflective stuff is still recommended after dark.
marty_uiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Don't worry. I'm sure they'll make it to where you'll have to paint the motorcycle a florescent color.

I definitely don't miss the AF.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,664
It was my experience in over 23 years of service that the requirement goes through cycles. No reflective gear, some reflective gear, Defcon 1 level reflective gear, no reflective gear, etc, etc, etc.

Alot of it depends on whatever officer is in charge at headquarters and their opinions about motorcycles.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Maybe they did a study and found out it didn't lower accidents. A few motorcycle cops I know tell me that people pull out in front of them with the red and blue lights going. If flashing lights don't help a day-glo yellow vest sure isn't.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
Maybe they did a study and found out it didn't lower accidents. A few motorcycle cops I know tell me that people pull out in front of them with the red and blue lights going. If flashing lights don't help a day-glo yellow vest sure isn't.
This would be my guess. They either had a study or there's a new HMFIC of the Air Force who rides and hates those vests a much as the rest of us.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,013
The Navy also dropped the requirement you must attend the BRC/ERC every 3 years for base access. It was too costly for them to maintain.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Very interesting......

I work on Kennedy Space Center property but I pass thru Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (to and from) each day. I have been wearing my brightly colored reflective jacket for 3 years now and I do not mind it except for off days that I may have my black leather jacket on and wish to cut thru to save time. I shall now investigate if the rules have change here on CCAFS.
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Army did away with it about a year ago without any fanfare or confetti. ALTHOUGH it's now the Base Commander's discretion. Ft Leonard Wood you don't need it, Ft Hood you do....

Apparently Unit Commanders can also dictate whether or not you have to wear it too.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
The Navy also dropped the requirement you must attend the BRC/ERC every 3 years for base access. It was too costly for them to maintain.
eh? my command just recently went through a whole Big Deal about people having the courses.
marty_uiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
People pull out in front of school busses and trains.
If the stylish yellow thing makes you feel safer wear it.
I think they are ridiculous.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 319
the Air Force gate guards here at Osan AB, Korea were stupid sometimes when it came to reflective vests. I know a guy that got pinged for not wearing a reflective "vest", nevermind that he was wearing a high-vis and reflective Aerostich suit at the time, because it wasn't a 'vest'.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
the Air Force gate guards here at Osan AB, Korea were stupid sometimes when it came to reflective vests. I know a guy that got pinged for not wearing a reflective "vest", nevermind that he was wearing a high-vis and reflective Aerostich suit at the time, because it wasn't a 'vest'.
Haha, they're robots and don't know any better. My Battalion Commander was unaware of the change of policy. If they don't ride then they don't care.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
When I was stationed at McChord they had a requirement for reflective vests too. Most folks bought the bright orange ones, I found a black one with the greyish reflective stripes and wore that on base without hassle. At first the gate guards would try to comment on it but it was reflective and met the requirements. I still have that black reflective vest, it was heavy duty construction and is built well.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote