Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
Maybe they did a study and found out it didn't lower accidents. A few motorcycle cops I know tell me that people pull out in front of them with the red and blue lights going. If flashing lights don't help a day-glo yellow vest sure isn't.

Exactly!!

Or a Division commander got tired of wearing one, so he had the policy changed...lol. At Camp Blanding all we are required to wear is a PT belt.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
All the AR says is that "Riders are encouraged to select PPE that incorporates fluorescent colors and retro-reflective material". Also says "Commanders are highly discouraged from adding PPE requirements at the local level" but not outright banned from doing so.

FYI, it's AR 385-10, Chap 11, para 11-9 d (4)
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
Man, that takes me back. I remember taking the safety class at Nellis back in 1985, as a 16 year old kid. I had that vest on to and from the base.

And yeah, back then, as soon as a rider cleared the gate, they all pulled over and the vest came off. Maybe after decades, the base finally took the hint.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #19
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
My guess is, like "always on" headlights, once everyone was wearing them, no one would notice them.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #20
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
I was stationed at Hahn Air Base, West Germany back in 1962-1965. Seat belt were required in private vehicles so when I bought a car I went to the base hobby shop and installed seat belts. I thought that seat belts were a good idea then and still think so today.

I hope armed service personnel don't unbuckle their seat bests when they leave the base.

I also think that high viz is a good idea. It does not replace defensive driving on my part but it appears to me that motorcyclists with proper gear seem to be better riders.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
...it appears to me that motorcyclists with proper gear seem to be better riders.
Just remember that correlation does not imply causation.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
The Navy also dropped the requirement you must attend the BRC/ERC every 3 years for base access. It was too costly for them to maintain.
Source?

I'm reading OPNAVINST 5100.12J right now and it says:

Quote:
All Sailors who operate motorcycles shall complete Level II training within 60 days of completion of Level I training or upon changing the type of motorcycle ridden.

All Sailors who operate motorcycles shall complete Level II or Level III refresher training every three (3) years. If Level II or Level III training is unavailable any OPNAV N09F/COMNAVSAFECEN approved course may be substituted.
This does not apply to civilians/contractors. They no longer require proof of anything to get onto base (we did away with the base stickers), but as a Sailor you still have training requirements to operate a motorcycle.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 621
This is quite surprising. I wonder if it's actually a lawyerly issue over authority to require the gear rather than the effectiveness of the gear.

I stopped having close calls with left turners when I bought my Conspicuity vest in the last century. Wouldn't ride without it now.
Can't prove a darn thing though.

Still, letting soldiers, sailors and airmen be LESS visible doesn't seem like a good idea. Perhaps this is a medical RIF?
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #24
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I don't have much of an opinion either way. I always found it annoying that someone trusted to work on or fly a multi-million dollar F-15 couldn't be trusted to make his or her own decision on how to safely ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
People pull out in front of school busses and trains.
If the stylish yellow thing makes you feel safer wear it.
I think they are ridiculous.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #25
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
I don't have much of an opinion either way. I always found it annoying that someone trusted to work on or fly a multi-million dollar F-15 couldn't be trusted to make his or her own decision on how to safely ride.
Then again, have you seen some of the dumb stuff that Airmen, Seaman, Marines, and Soldiers do?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
readymix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
The Navy also dropped the requirement you must attend the BRC/ERC every 3 years for base access. It was too costly for them to maintain.
First I have heard of that. Can you provide a ref. that confirms?
readymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,926
The cynic in me says it's an unofficial way to assist the draw down.

The other cynic wonders if they finally realized that wearing a reflective vest won't prevent a high side... just makes it easier to find the victim.

One of Child Unit's friends highsided his GSX-R last weekend; the concussion may make him unfit for deployment and get him processed out. All he remembers is "corner, wheelspin, airtime... ambulance". Split his helmet shell, though. I hope he's OK, he's a good kid (even if he is from NJ) and I was looking forward to going riding with him next month... given I was partly responsible for him getting the motorcycle bug in the first place.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
I'd suggest if they got the same level of training and qualification testing to ride a motorcycle as they have to go through to "fly a multi-million dollar F-15" the crash rate would be lower.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:

Is there a new 5100.12 out? Last I saw was J; did I miss the part where they dropped the recurring training requirement? I still get emails from ESAMS telling me I'm dink for a bike I no longer own.
Road Program is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I was stationed at Hahn Air Base, West Germany back in 1962-1965. Seat belt were required in private vehicles so when I bought a car I went to the base hobby shop and installed seat belts. I thought that seat belts were a good idea then and still think so today.

I hope armed service personnel don't unbuckle their seat bests when they leave the base.

I also think that high viz is a good idea. It does not replace defensive driving on my part but it appears to me that motorcyclists with proper gear seem to be better riders.

The old "PPE" was retarded, it basically involved "the magic vest" your uniform boots and a long sleeve T-shirt. Period.

I got pulled over where a bright red one piece and had to talk my way out of it. I was on the way to the track, in track gear

Not magic vest. I fucking still hate those fucking things.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote