Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #31
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
The old "PPE" was retarded, it basically involved "the magic vest" your uniform boots and a long sleeve T-shirt. Period.

I got pulled over where a bright red one piece and had to talk my way out of it. I was on the way to the track, in track gear

Not magic vest. I fucking still hate those fucking things.
Many many many years ago, the Navy required "hard soled shoes with a heel". I got stopped at the front gate of NAS Whidbey Island on an FZR wearing road race boots. The wouldn't let me on because there was no "stepped heel"!

Per the instruction, had I been wearing chloraframs I would have been good to go.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #32
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Source?

I'm reading OPNAVINST 5100.12J right now and it says:

This does not apply to civilians/contractors. They no longer require proof of anything to get onto base (we did away with the base stickers), but as a Sailor you still have training requirements to operate a motorcycle.

Here the civies still must take the course. Not sure about contractors.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I said they should be allowed to decide what safety precautions to take, I didn't say they always take the smart ones.

I had to take the MSF course which is a good start. I don't know if that's still a requirement. You can't regulate common sense and I'm guessing a florescent vest doesn't make you, as a rider, any smarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I'd suggest if they got the same level of training and qualification testing to ride a motorcycle as they have to go through to "fly a multi-million dollar F-15" the crash rate would be lower.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #34
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Yes I have and sometimes it was a little closer than I care to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
Then again, have you seen some of the dumb stuff that Airmen, Seaman, Marines, and Soldiers do?
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #35
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
I'm Army but I live on an Nellis Air Force base. Yesterday the gate guard told me that a reflective vest was no longer required to get on base. Nor is it required to wear a "brightly colored" uppergarment at all. Still required are helmet, eye pro, gloves, long sleeves, long pants and over the ankle boots.

This mirrors what I saw last week while attending a class at Joint Base Lewis McChord near Seattle, where almost no riders were wearing vests. This is recent, like the last two weeks.

Personally I hated having to wear a reflective vest, so I'm happy with this change.

I am curious what prompted the change. I haven't seen any articles or announcements after searching online.

Is this just for day riding. I heard that you still are required at night to wear a reflective vest?
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
Michael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
In 23 years of riding onto military bases I have only once been told to put on a brightly colored vest. All my jackets have reflective piping and/or reflective strips. several times the guards have begun to hassle me but once I point out the reflective stuff they let me in. For the last 2 years I wear a a black leather FXRG jacket and have not had any problems at Belvoir, Meyer, the Pentagon, Andrews, Camp Dawson, etc.etc.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #37
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
feldjäger, The guard who told me there was no requirement for a vest didn't mention anything about a vest at night. I've since come home in the evening in my black leather jacket and had no issue.

I'm sure some base commanders will add requirements though.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
The OP needs to check his info beside just a couple of gate guards (usually the lowest guys in the food chain). The base "might" have changed their policy, but the Air Force has not. AFI91-207 is still very much in effect here. I only say this so a bunch or Air Force riders don't go out with out checking with their base. I run the safety program here at my base and stay pretty current on all the regs. The DODI mandates refresher training every five years now as well.

I am not here to argue good or bad, just state that the Air Force policy has not changed. And this applies on base or off, all time. I have opinions but will keep them to myself.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #39
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I stand corrected. The new AFI 91-207 dropped last week. Wing commander can still mandate if desired, I am trying to fight it here.....

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #40
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I'd suggest if they got the same level of training and qualification testing to ride a motorcycle as they have to go through to "fly a multi-million dollar F-15" the crash rate would be lower.
As a retired F-15/16 mechanic, that was my first thought too.

I've had my own experiences with regulation blinded gate guards. Same story as above, riding a GS, I pulled up to the Nellis AFB gate in a hi-vis 'stich and was told I need to wear my vest. Had a fluorescent orange one in the pannier just in case I met one of the BD morons, cuz I needed to stay on base for a few days. Not my first experience with the stupid factor at a main gate.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #41
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
I figured something had changed , I work around quite a few mil installations and noticed I dont see as many Hi Vis vest in use . Around Army bases I noticed a change about a year ago or less .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #42
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 384
Those requirements are the same in the Coast Guard, no reflective gear has been required since I started riding to work in '08. The only requirement you need to ride on base besides the PPE is your MSF card, which they have never checked since the very first time!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #43
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
If It's a Requirement

Like steel toe boots, if Air Force requires you to wear them then they should issue them. 20 years Air Force, I feel the pain. I just ride in the middle of the road. I never have a visibility problem in the middle of the road. But I would like to thank the Air Force for all the safety classes. Saved me money on insurance, I think, maybe.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #44
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,980
I'm a little surprised that some of you guys are getting pissed at gate guards when they don't immediately allow you to violate base policy because you have a pretty jacket on.

For those of you who have never figured out how to get along in the world, here's how you handle it. You say, "Hey, thanks brother. Listen, I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but I need to chat with your Gunny. He around?"

Then you talk to the Gunny. Now, this is important. You say, "Hey Gunny, your guy out on the gate is doing a great job. He's polite. He's professional. He's squared away. He says he's not gonna let me in if I don't have a reflective vest. He's right, I don't. But I have this jacket with all this refective material. Am I good to go?" And presto, you're in. It really is that simple.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #45
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
The OP needs to check his info beside just a couple of gate guards (usually the lowest guys in the food chain). The base "might" have changed their policy, but the Air Force has not. AFI91-207 is still very much in effect here. I only say this so a bunch or Air Force riders don't go out with out checking with their base. I run the safety program here at my base and stay pretty current on all the regs. The DODI mandates refresher training every five years now as well.

I am not here to argue good or bad, just state that the Air Force policy has not changed. And this applies on base or off, all time. I have opinions but will keep them to myself.
And also, as OP has stated he is Army, the Army regulation also applies as well.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote