Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Stoney Lonesome 2013 - novice Hero videos...

I've not finished my writeup from the weekend yet ...work got in the way... but here's the video which I did work up while riding home...

PhilSpace screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 07:41 AM Reason: Facebook embedded code removed - not a good idea to cut and paste from Facebook - Thanks.
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Stoney Lonesome Novice Ride 9/21/13
LOVING IT ! Riding Stoney Lonesome in Indiana on Saturday afternoon. Great weather, great friends, great motorcycles ... and a great ride.

My little GG80 and I managed to squeak out a win by 2 points today! YEAH!!

hope you enjoy the view from the eyes of a novice... — feeling satisfied with Liz Jeffries and Mike Cross at Stoney Lonesome Motorcycle Club.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Sunday morning's ride... Sunday was not my best day. Not aweful, but not my best. Had 2 foolish 5's.

Hope folks enjoy the Sunday video -- with the accelerated view of the shorter loop!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 859
Just today I was going to see when Stoney was scheduled. I was hoping to roll in the event when visiting my son in southern IN later in October. Rats, the event is past. Attended the event 2X in the past. It was great.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289
Awesome videos! I have to get one of those helmet cams! So cool to revisit the sections.
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Just today I was going to see when Stoney was scheduled. I was hoping to roll in the event when visiting my son in southern IN later in October. Rats, the event is past. Attended the event 2X in the past. It was great.

Bringing your bike? What dates will you be in Indiana and where in Southern Indiana? Your welcome to come ride with us.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Stoney write ups...

Riding Stoney Lonesome, take 2
Stoney was our 3rd contest in 2012-- which made it our 3rd contest in 21 years. Last year the sections were a hard but fair test, and the loop was extremely challenging for this essentially brand new novice. I struggled quite a bit that weekend, but went home satisfied that I'd ridden reasonably well. I felt that while I was last, but not DNF'd and not broken = successful.
This year, with a good bit more experience and a motorcycle better suited to my skills, I was more able to enjoy the gorgeous landscape of this stunningly beautiful facility. The Trials Master had obviously worked hard to make the conditions enjoyable for all levels of riders - giving the upper level guys some fun and entertaining terrain while also managing not to maim the novices. Apparently looking to give a taste of the nationally-renowned Ute Cup to our local riders, Saturday's loop was more than 3 miles long and offered about a half mile of pure rock creek bed and several lonnnnng hill climbs as we explored all 4 corners of the property. Respecting the distance most of us would travel home Sunday, the event was much more compressed, with less than 2 miles of loop, minimal creek time, and a great opportunity to ride varied terrain without becoming so exhausted no one would make it home safely.
The Trials Master cautioned us Saturday morning that the loop was long and challenging, and also shared that they had 'paved the creek bed' wherever they could. Unlike last year, I did not find myself cursing the work crew, except a rare spot here or there on the loop. It was VERY obvious all the hard work put into the preparation, and at no point on the loop was a novice required to lighten the front end of the bike, nor hop off any sort of step that required carrying the front end. A massive thank you for the efforts to keep us safe and sane, and help continue to grow this sport by keeping the new riders in the game and enjoying the competition.
SATURDAY IN DETAIL....
This morning, I exited our camper with about the same trepidation as I'd had Sunday of last year. You see, it rained all night here... and we all know what that can do to the riding conditions at even such a wonderful facility as this. Plus, our newer novice rider had fallen hard less than a week before and her confidence was rattled. I worried the conditions would be outside her skills today. We walked one area of the loop near the entry driveway, and it looked slick and steep.
At rider's meeting, our Trials Masters were brutally honest about the 3.2 mile length as well as the difficulty of the loop. "Novices, consider the loop to be all within the tape...the loop is your challenge, your 'section' today," quipped Jimmy Z. Whew, now I was even more worried! All classes would ride 3 loops -- even novice. However, he did also tell us they'd done a TON of work on the loop, leveling ruts and "paving the creek bed". So, let's go see how they did!
We exited the pits, and headed into the woods. The ride to section one was well groomed, easily ridden, and fairly short, and it was time to get the day really going. Novices rolled down the trail to the start of the section, wobbled across some flat rock plates and across a baby log, across a small flat plateau, and it was time for our first CLIMB! Several riders would comment throughout the day that they watched, impressed, as little Gizmo and I took that climb, and climb we did! At the top of the bank was a nice wide flat for us to make a sweeping left, then a technical right around a tree, and say good morning to our first checker of the day. Clean -- a confidence building first section. Nice.
Back onto the trail, and it was soon evident that the trials masters had cut some new paths to minimize ruts and rough stuff. Sooner than I expected, we'd made it to section 2...my nemesis of the day. Section 2 had zero fear factor; it was purely technical challenge. Novice rolled over a little lip out of a dry creek, and eased a right turn near a tree and into a shallow gulley, then smoothed a left hand float up the bank and out of the gulley - or, for the motorcrossers, blasted a trail of their own straight out the far end of the gulley! -- and time for a fairly easy right hand turn, down a little step. Now, its precision time. Swing wide to your right, then sweep left nearly 180 around a tree and exit between it and it's momma -- being sure to enter the turn wide enough to let the rear wheel track and not end up running into the tree, and continue on. (First loop, I turned too early and took a 3 - DARN! but rode the rest of the section clean. Second and third loops, I turned a little later and NEARLY made the turn, pulling it off with a one! Not Bad!) Then eaaaaaase down a little bank into another small gulley, turning a bit wide right so you could make a clean left turn up and out the bank and to the checker. Lap 2, for some unknown reason, I felt the need to not only drag my rear brake down the little bank but do it with no throttle and so Gizmo did exactly as I'd instructed ... she stalled. SIGGGH. (see the video - I did NOT swear! I promise!) Loop three I go through the drop fine but didn't swing wide enough, and struggled up the bank at a poor angle for a two. Whew. The only section I could NOT clean today.
Whew, let's stretch my legs on the loop to section 3 and hope that's the only techy one to beat me today. The loop to section 3 again had some challenges but nothing overwhelming, and soon enough it was time to walk the lines.
Section 3 for the novices was a mercifully kind line through a very difficult area. The other classes had to drop into and climb out of the creek in some very challenging lines. Novice entered the section, made a tight technical right turn around a large tree, squeaked across the top of the creek bank (clunking my peg on a large tree stump one loop), and out the exit gate to the checker. THANK YOU, Trials Masters, for not making us try to find our way out of that creek.
And so, I've now made contact with the first real challenge of the loop. We exited the section perpendicular to a 'road' that was dropping down to cross said creek, and then climb UPPPP and back out the far bank. A very rutted and mildly slippery road. Ideally, the section exit would've let us out parallel to the road, with some room to go farther to our right and get a good lineup and speed to come into the creek ruts, but the space just wasn't there. I'm proud to say that Gizmo and I got stuck on that climb only once, when I got bucked uphill a bit, crossing a rock ledge that sticks out of that climb.
It turned out that most of the unnerving sections of loop were entirely housed between sections 3 and 4. Once we made it up the scary climb and were back on regular trail, it wasn't long before we were making a lonnnnng slow climb up the hillside. And what goes up must, eventually, come down again ... all too soon we were on a seriously rutted downhill that had two quite scary steps. Take it slow, novices, knees bent and off the bike, and let her work her way down... there we go. At the bottom of the down was the entry to section 4.
Section 4 was a small drop into a mercifully flat, dry pad in a rock creek bed, around the end of a good sized felled tree, a large sweeping S, through 2 small trees, and say hello to yet another checker!
And we've made it to the rock creek Jimmy had mentioned. "We paved roads wherever we could," Jimmy had shared, and I took him at his word. He promised the best line for the conditions we have ... let's go see what I can do with it. The next several hundred yards were primarily spent picking our way up a wet creek with shallow water, shallow puddles, and loose rocks of varied sizes and shapes with most being under 20 lbs in weight and happy to move around under foot. Despite feeling a bit intimidated by the bike bounding about beneath me, I found that Jimmy and the Stoney team had genuinely done an EXCEPTIONAL job in making a ridable path, with not a SINGLE segment of this creek requiring me to lighten, let alone lift, the front wheel to safely traverse the creek. THANK YOU, gentlemen, for what was clearly a lot of hard work. THANKS.
A little more tired than when I'd entered section 4, whew, it was now section 5 - which was still in the same creek and was actually identical riding to what I'd just practiced on my way here. Climbing mildly, we had to work our way up the 15' wide creek, being careful not to miss the few markers along the way that mattered for the novices, taking a small step across the rocks on the left at one stage, then working up a mildly steeper segment, and there's the checker! CLEAN again, yippee!
Another couple hundred yards of the same creek, and we've found section 6..which was more of the same workout in the same creek, followed by a small BRAAAP to get out of the creek on the left bank and meet another checker. For all of this stretch of creek, I must've been channeling my inner Upstate-New-Yorker past, as the rocks and I had more of a zen relationship than any other contest in the last year by far!
Whew, I'm ready to be out of the creek...let's go ride some more woods and see what's coming next. A bit of trail, then a lonnng climb (did I mention that my Gizmo loooves to go up!), then relatively open and well ridden trail, and we're back at familiar turf -- section 7 was a section last year, just ridden in the opposite direction. Mannn... and that same danged turn I had trouble with last year is back..wards! The section this year begins by stepping over a large stick, aiming as wide right as possible, then sweeping a hard left 180 that includes fitting between 2 quite tight trees and over another large stick on the way out of this area. Today, I managed this technical challenge with a 2 the first loop, CLEAN on loop 2! then tiredly struggled through a 3 ... and was able to ride off from that segment, sweep a large easy wide right 180 to the next set of saplings, weave through, and OUT.
The loop to section 8 was the second challenging and somewhat intimidating piece of the loop today. There were 2 places where we had to basically drop into a tight rut and rolling throttle on while the bike is still going down, to be able to shoot up the bank immediately ahead. I managed to ride each of them clean today, but saw 2 other novices struggle with each and know how incredibly frustrated I would've been with that same segment even just a few months ago. There was a good length of varied terrain and climbs, and then a downhill through a series of nasty ruts, with no real good line. Each loop I tried a different line through this roughed up area, and each time I found myself tired at the bottom from the exertion and the nerves of working my way down carefully.
And then the world opened up again, and soon enough we were at a mercifully flat (for novices!) section 8. For this section, the novices had to ride parallel to and in between a pair of medium sized logs, then after the end of the right log, turn a sharp right across a mildly slick root (which conspired with the gravity monsters to draw a one out of my first loop!), then sweep a large easy left 180 across open grass, sweep a right 180 fall off turn around a tree onto a mercifully shallow segment of the left bank, and head for a slightly angled log. I've been working to learn to do clutch wheelies, and on loop one I had the energy and pride to take the log with a clutch wheelie! yes! and then exit the section for a clean.
Over the river and through the woods, and lonesome it was indeed, as we waited for signs of/for sections 9 and 10. Section 9 was apparently a nasty ravine, and the trials masters were very kind to keep the Novices out of this area and give us a simple bypass to section 10.
Section 10 had the highest difficulty of the day for the novice class, in my opinion. We came between two trees and had room to stretch the tape to our left then sweep a hard 180 right and set up for a 12+" log. There wasn't a lot of room to prepare, and the ground had a minor dip just before the log... just where you want to be lifting the front end. Because of her size and the dip, it required a solid commitment from the novice, and sadly I saw a newer novice rider not be able to maintain his commitment to the log and have a nasty bail off his bike. I didn't get a good lift coming into the log due to the dip, and ramped Gizmo all 3 loops but luckily was able to keep with her and ride off the log clean. We then swept a clear 180 left still on the flat, wobbled our way down a shallow gulley, and then worked a solid left hand turn up and over some tree roots, followed by a technical need to turn left just after the roots which nearly caused me to ride over the tape on my first loop ... then swing back to the right, between a pair of trees, and be greeted by yet another smiling checker. In this humble novice's opinion, the log had a high intimidation factor and pretty good risk, and wasn't ideal for the novice class.
Let's get back on the loop and go find section 11! It was a relatively short jaunt, one more short but badly rutted down, and we were here. Section 11 involved novices stepping down and across a creek, up the step on the other side, back across the narrow creekling again, sweep an easy right hand 90, and set up for a log of similar size to the one in section 10. However, unlike section 10, we were only making a 90 and were in a nice position to take the log far more easily and with more run-up and time to think and prepare. The back side was a bit more challenging as it had less run out than sedition 10 but again because it was on a very slight bank it was technically easier. We then weaved around a few trees and look at that! Another checker!
In a pleasantly short distance, we were blipping up a bank, over a hill and dale, across the entry driveway, and we'd found the stadium section behind the pavilion - section 12! Novice had lots of choices in this section, with just a single novice gate right by the section exit. For my first two loops I elected to take Mr. Wetzel's lead, and ride all the way around the outer edge of the section - across a sliver of telephone pole, up a shallow bank, past the splatter wall, along a flat segment, across a 4" log-ette that was at a mild angle, and out the exit gate. On loop 3, my confidence flying high from a great fun day, I chose the more direct route - through the entry gate, past some more fun stadium obstacles, and now I'm at a different segment of aged telephone pole that 's buried 90% in the ground. This segment sticks up about 6" and is at about a 45 degree angle to my line of travel. Lots of practice at home on off angle logs, several larger than this. Let's get this right ... coming up to it, swing right so the angle is a bit wider, set the bike's position, hands off the levers, compress and up! over it with ease and a very gratifying congratulations from the checker and .... we've made it!
The event was masterfully prepared and expertly managed. Even after the rain, the conditions turned out very ride able. The camaraderie, as always, was fantastic. The sections offered a broad range of challenge to the novice riders all the way to champ, and it was, as always, great fun to watch the other classes. I loved the idea of two different styles of event this weekend, and two different kinds of workout. With my focus always being on how we can expand and grow this sport, I wished that Saturday's loop had been a bit less arduous. Several newer riders - not all novices - were heard saying that the loop was 'killing them' and they were exhausted and not giving their best ride in the sections by late in the 2nd loop. But I also appreciate the mindset that this is a different kind of event, one meant to be an endurance test, late in the season, with a nationals feel and intensity but without the dangers of a typical nationals loop. Giving the novices a 2-loop option would've eased the strain on some. I'm happy that I'm fit enough and have ridden enough in 11 months to be able to compete both days in these kinds of conditions!
By the way, did I mention that I won on Saturday? By two whole points! Yeaaah!
---------------

Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Stoney Sunday...

SUNDAY'S DETAILS
The loop on Sunday was significantly shorter, and with mercifully less time in the rocky creek. That creek really beat up some of the newer/less athletic riders, and I heard more than one say a thank you to seeing a tad less of it today.
Section one was partially Saturday's section 1, coming from the opposite direction. We rolled down yesterday's up to get to the start gate; made a 150 degree sweeping left turn onto, into and through the dry rocky creek bed, crossed the creek, stepped onto a mild rise of a plateau, and then, soon enough, it was time to steer deceptively far to your left prior to making a right sweeping turn onto a significant climb ... around a big tree stump, across the ridge, and back down to the checker. Sadly, loop 3, I undershot the wide left and tried to tackle the bank straight on - -heading for the stump. I managed to get my body low enough to steer away from the stump but once it became clear I wasn't going to do this clean, for some yet unknown reason, I stepped OFF the bike to push her up the rest of the way, instead of straddling and paddling. What was I thinking? Still had to push the danged thing up the hill, but now had to do it with a 5! Ah well... otherwise, all 3 loops a loose bowlingball-esque rock in the first piece of the creek snuck a 1 from my left boot despite my best efforts. Danged boots have a mind of their own!
Through the woods we go! Much of the loop was familiar from Saturday, and soon we'd found section 2. This section offered challenge to every class. We were again entering parallel to the bank of a small, downward sloping dry segment of creek. The preferred line for Novice was to turn perpendicular, cross the creek, NOT climb the bank as the intermediates were doing (a 5 would've ensued from going through their gates), turning parallel to the creek again immediately. About 2 bike lengths later, you've crossed a well worn goat trail, and now need to select the best line to drop back into the creek. I chose to stay left of the actual drainage point for the path, rolling instead diagonal across the rocky edge so that I could cross the creek completely on a fairly straight line, take a mid fall off with very wide left hand sweep (maybe 110 degrees spread open turn across 25'), BACCK across the crick again, climb the steeper bank, around a tree just for fun, and OUT! I rode the section 1, 1, 0. Later, on an approved but not recorded 4th loop, I elected to try the Bob Wentzel line (vintage rider extraordinaire) -- making the first crick crossing, the 90 turn that put me parallel to the crick, and then instead of turning back across the creek, I rode the off camber line along the edge of the left bank, made the sweeping and steeping left turn across the off camber, managing not to wash out my front end, and OUT! CLEAN! Even if it wasn't for a formal score, I let out a verrry happy cheer.
Hi hi ho, off through the woods we go - staying on these nice very well ridden trails all along the way, until we are about to enter section 3. Here, the loop is a touch intimidating simply because it is a reasonable angled down but verrry rutted and pointing straight into the people in line for the section, with not a lot of great space for turning around and getting in position. We're now ready to ride #3.
Poor Liz, my fellow female rookie - this section bit her 2 loops in a row - both times missing markers. We entered a relatively narrow gulley of a dry creek bed, almost immediately went up the right bank and around a small tree, and then you had to recognize the novice marker on the ground taking you to the right BEFORE crossing back over the gulley. Liz missed it, and although she managed to stop her bike before actually getting completely past it, she wasn't able to drag her 125 up the little bank to get back around the marker. DARN, a 5. Second loop she was ultra careful to make that marker, went perpendicular to the gully and blasted up the other bank, incredibly proud of riding what seemed like a surprisingly technical line. Yep, it was technical alright - it was the sportsman gate, and she's 5'd again. The 3rd loop she got through both those gates all right, and rode the nice road along the top of the left bank, hugging tape and going much farther than the 'obvious' line that was not terribly novice friendly - taking the track our minder, Mike, had recommended as far left as we could go, which made the exit line far simpler. I was proud to ride this relatively technical line clean all day.
Now a short blip of loop took us along the edge of the campgrounds, through what was obviously sections from other competitions of some sort, and on to section 4. Here again we would be working in these neat little rolling ravine-ettes that dotted this entire area of the property. We rode parallel to the shallow rising, turned a 270 at the end of it to face square to it, and began the section. This one was a serious technical novice challenge. We entered crossing an over grown sapling trunk that was angled to our path, rode up the bottom of the narrow little gulley, then had to do a proper fall-off -- up a 6' bank, wrap around a narrow tree with a well laid and technical line, to drop right back off the bank, shoot across the gulley and up the other side, then pull a technical 90 left on lots of loose natural clutter, and out. The fall-off would encourage me to pick up more speed than I intended, shooting me up the other bank too quickly, where I would get worried about sliding the front wheel out from under me - so I dabbed it every loop. I loved the choice of location for a fall off - I practice these a lot at home, and this one was in a good position where, with the small tree, it was pretty unlikely a novice would high side and it was very able to be paddled by a nervous rider. There was lots of room to balloon (and I did) without getting into trouble, so that it wasn't a "turn or bail" type scenario. It was a really nice technical challenge with a little bit of "eek" factor to it but minimal danger.
A short time later, we've found section 5, which I nicknamed "twisty turny" and the checker was kind enough to tell me that the Trials Master created the novice line in this section "just for you, AM". This was another great technical challenge with minimal fear factor. We began by riding parallel to a massive felled tree, around the root ball that literally stood more than 7' off the ground at its peak (the checker had to follow us around the tree to see if we dabbed); we had to ride up the small bank created by the loss of the root ball and turn a hard left at the top of the bank to avoid going out the tape. Then we were back on flat soil, working a very flat "S" -- sweeping right, a hard left immediately followed by a technical right that required the rider to know where her front and rear wheels would track -- with the added teaser that the marker was simply on a stick on the ground, so carelessly letting your rear wheel slip to the inside would 5 the section without warning! Made it? great ... now go across a small open patch to a very technical "S and then some" - a hard left 90 in a tight space followed by a hard right that wrapped more like 110 degrees immediately around a tree with no free space to balloon out or you were out the tape. If you didn't set your front wheel exactly in the right track, you were either hitting the tree with front or rear wheel and I saw more than one rider stuck in the S, needing several dabs. Just when you thought you were home free, you took a right bend and then a hard left again nearly 120 degrees that then tightened back even farther to complete a 180, sneaking between two trees. I NEARLY cleaned that turn one loop, and was incredibly proud of the effort!
Time to stretch your legs, back and brain across some open woods, working down the hillside partway, to the only not-quite-perfectly-clear-spot on the loop - the marking at the bottom of section 7 that told you to turn right and go further down the bank, not to go straight across the stick and to section 7. Our first loop we were distracted by watching exceptional champ rider, Andrew Putt, get bucked off his Scherco as he tried to cross a segment of roughly 12" tree that was about 3' off the ground! eventually, though, we found out where to go and went down the road, up into the woods and met my nemesis of the weekend, the evil section 6.
Section 6 was a workout on the hillside itself, which had more of the loose rock here there and, well, pretty much everywhere. The novices had to go across the bank on a well worn trail, then take that trail through a hard 180 degree from off-camber to off-camber, right upward on the bank, going around a large rock and working through some particularly nasty loose rocks in the process. the first loop I underestimated the difficulty and took a tough 3. The second loop I over-estimated the difficulty and padded a 2 to be safe. The 3rd loop, I was back to under-estimating again. I tried to plant my right foot and pivot through the nasty uphill off camber piece, and somehow found myself somersaulting backward once down the bank with my little Gizmo laying on her side up hill from me. This was the only challenge of the day that I felt had a danger factor for the novices, and admittedly, I should've chosen to paddle through it all 3 loops - knowing it was above my comfort level. Going on from there, we picked our own line across the next segment of the milder part of the off camber, cutting across other class's lines, up a small stretch of bank, and met the checker to call it done.
Up the road, up a tough, rutted segment that was actually section last year, and we were ready to tackle section 7. As challenging as 6 was, that's how relaxing 7 was. They were kind and didn't ask us novices to either go DOWN the nasty bank nor come back up it; they simply let us weave a few trees and rocks and exit the section on the same plane as we began. Sadly, one new novice in line missed one of the multiple markers and 5'd the section.
Continue up the relatively challenging terrain a bit father, and you've reached the old clubhouse and the main road. Cross the road, ride down a drainage gulley to get to low ground again, and you're facing #8.
Section 8 was an interesting one to watch the other classes. This was yet another dry creek bed, but this one was deeper and steeper than most we encountered, or at least where I paid attention to the other class' lines. We as novice braaaped up a short reasonably steep bank and then rode a very reasonable trail along the edge of the creek as it climbed upward, until we dropped into the rock just long enough to meet the checker. The other classes were climbing far higher sides, dropping in and out of the nasty bowling ball rocks, and generally going all sorts of crazy places. It again was a nice section for the novices, with a very reasonable difficulty level and several small technical pieces that could pull points without scaring or scarring the rider.
Up the creek, along the road, and here we are at the back of the clubhouse already! Section 9 today was section 12 yesterday, and the novice line was quite similar - especially for me. Saturday's line had numerous ways to ride it; it just so happened the path I chose on Saturday was almost exactly the line we had to ride on Sunday. The difference today was that we had to start by entering at an angle to the start gate, sneak between two trees and then pull a fairly technical left hand turn without hitting a massive tractor tire. From there, we crossed the buried telephone pole at an angle, stepped up the bank beside the splatter wall, turned along the top edge of the toys in this fun stadium, did a (clutch! YEAH!) wheelie over a 10" ish sapling, and made sure not to miss our marker to exit the section.
Sunday, again, was a fantastic day and a BLAST to ride. The loop was enough of a workout to tire not only myself but other newer riders I chatted with as well, and not so much so as to exhaust or infuriate anyone. There were no dangerous points, no nasty crossings that would require a novice to try to do large wheelies or other scary steps. It was long enough to stretch your legs and to learn to ride this terrain before you saw it in a section, and to spread out the groups so we didn't have long lines, and short enough to let riders finish at a good time of day and get ready to go home.
The facility is magnificent; the trials master second to none; the club expertly run as always, and everyone working the event was so enjoyable, helpful, happily enjoying our sport. What more could a rider ask for?