User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
BryonLewis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
4 Way Stop Etiquette

I travel through a couple 4 way stop signs everyday on my commute to work. I've noticed that people are overly friendly and wave me on through the sign when they clearly have the right-of-way. It doesn't matter if I'm on my streetfighter, cruiser or sport bike it seems to happen quite often. Wondering if any of you experience the same or if this unique to my area?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I have one that I travel thru daily. I've noticed I get the wave more often when on two wheels than when in four.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,278
Just make sure that, if waved through, any others at the 4 way stop see it and let you go. The real way is the first person to stop has the right ow way. If all followed this there would be no issues.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
I'll sometimes wave them through back, then reach down as if I'm taking a moment to fiddle with something on the bike. It is less confusing this way, especially, as JimVB noted, when other vehicles at the stop might not be as attentive.

It really bugs me when there are such well thought out rules of the road and people are either ignorant of them, or, think they are being nice by doing something different. To me it just makes things a little more risky.

These folks aren't as dangerous as the person who stops on the on ramp waiting for a hole in traffic big enough to accelerate into from a dead stop, but, are irritating just the same.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
+1 Moto Tex
I agree with you on all statements.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I have one that I travel thru daily. I've noticed I get the wave more often when on two wheels than when in four.

Same here, however, I also agree with the above posters.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I'll sometimes wave them through back, then reach down as if I'm taking a moment to fiddle with something on the bike. It is less confusing this way, especially, as JimVB noted, when other vehicles at the stop might not be as attentive.

It really bugs me when there are such well thought out rules of the road and people are either ignorant of them, or, think they are being nice by doing something different. To me it just makes things a little more risky.

These folks aren't as dangerous as the person who stops on the on ramp waiting for a hole in traffic big enough to accelerate into from a dead stop, but, are irritating just the same.
100%.

I hate that I break the rules of the road so often, but since so many others do, I find it's a matter of self-preservation to be deferential to the ignorant at intersections. It's not a matter of politeness (although it is that)-- instead, it's safety: once they go, they're no longer a potential threat to me.

I will heartily endorse the "look away" tactic-- this works on the bike, it works as a pedestrian, too. I'll give one hand wave to signal to the other vehicle to go. When they inevitably in turn wave *me* on, I'll immediately look away from them-- down at the bike, turn around as a pedestrian, etc. I find that 99% of the time this forces the matter and the other person will go.

Otherwise, you just end up in a hand-waving contest for the next thirty seconds, followed by stutter-stops through an intersection as you each try to go.

Faster, and safer, to look away. The psychology is weird, but seems to work IME.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 851
Yup.

First to stop, first to go. If 2-3 vehicles arrive at stop simultaneously, vehicle to right has first go obligation. If 4 vehicles arrive at stop simultaneously, then a courtesy/go ahead wave is appropriate and intentions are made clear (and cautiously) by vehicle proceeding first.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,462
Locally...no street lights around here but a few 4 ways. Often I am the polite one and let them through.A little PR for motorcyclists if I get a smile back and then next time they'll remember us and be polite.

Different in the cities for sure, someone did something stupid in front of me just last week. Good thing I was being polite and never in too much of a hurry at a 4 way not to assess the possible risks.

All good usually when only 2 vehicles at the intersection. Fill it up with 4, have the others understood or seen that one of them waved you and may have given up his turn for a motorcycle???
Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Just find some way through without getting hit.

People wave you through because they don't deal with motorcycles that often and don't want to make a mistake.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 700
Maybe they think you're a bicyclist and are rewarding you for your unexpected stop?
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I have this happen daily, being waved through I mean, I either take it as a kind gesture or someone wanting to get a better look at what I'm riding.

If it's obvious they arrived first though, I usually always use the wave them through/look elsewhere tactic stated above.
Indy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ][ndy View Post
I have this happen daily, being waved through I mean, I either take it as a kind gesture or someone wanting to get a better look at what I'm riding.

If it's obvious they arrived first though, I usually always use the wave them through/look elsewhere tactic stated above.
Since I started riding 5 years ago I have had many family members tell me that they wave bikes through not because they want to see the bike, but because they are scared of bikes being near them. My wife, mom, step-mom, and a couple of sisters-in-law have all said variations of the same thing. When pressed, none can say anything other than, "but I don't want to run them over."

Well, then don't

I think they know that in most cases the bikes will accelerate away much faster than they can, so then they don't have to worry about the bike being near them anymore.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
kniepm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Fuck you! You go! I like it here!

kniepm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
That's funny, I was just griping to a buddy about this yesterday. I think that when people try and wave you along, they're just trying to be nice to the motorcyclists. I can appreciate the sentiment and I usually will take them up on it. But it does kind of muddy the waters, so to speak, and can add to the confusion. I think it's all a little more clear-cut when we just use the first come-first served model.

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote