Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Planet Terror!!
Gingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #62
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
I saw the OPs first movie, Silent Running in the theater when it came out. I loved it and still think it holds up today as a good movie.

I have a hard time remembering bad movies. One I forgot the name of was about some who lived on a planet that went dark for ever or at least a long time. I seem to remember it was always sunny then went into total darkness. And no I am not talking about the Vin Diesel one a few years ago.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #63
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Ya know... I really do miss bad movies. All the schlock out of Hollywood for the last X years has been trying to be 'a blockbuster.'

Closest we've come in a while was Fifth Element and right before that, Galaxy Quest. ...and they weren't in the same 'bad movie' league as some of the others named

M
Oh man - Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies... I think it's great (right up there with Tremors - my wife's favorite)

There was one science fiction movie from the early seventies that I can't remember the title of but my friends and I collectively wished we could wipe all memory of our exposure to it away. I guess 43 yeas has succeeded since I can't rmember anything about it except how awful it was.

And no it wasn't "Dark Star" - we liked that one.

Barbarella was pretty awful but somewhat interesting - I guess it could qualify.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #64
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I saw the OPs first movie, Silent Running in the theater when it came out. I loved it and still think it holds up today as a good movie.
Have you seen it lately? I would have to disagree that it holds up as a good movie.... there are massive problems with the plot such as how much thrust from a rocket would be required to lift a forest into orbit, and why would you have rabbits and snails in a place where you want the plants to live? That, sponsor logos littered throughout, the acting.....

I loved the movie, but for very different reasons.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #65
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Have you seen it lately? I would have to disagree that it holds up as a good movie.... there are massive problems with the plot such as how much thrust from a rocket would be required to lift a forest into orbit, and why would you have rabbits and snails in a place where you want the plants to live? That, sponsor logos littered throughout, the acting.....

Silent running was done by Dalton Trumbo who also did "Johnny Got His Gun" a very dark anti-war film set in WW1 but with direct ties to the Vietnam era protests. Dalton Trumbo spent years on Hollywood's blacklist after being named a communist in the McCarthy hearings.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #66
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

i watched it last year. It is a BIT dated, but in those days, no one worried about the technical stuff they all do these days. Shoot, I am still surprised at how accurate they rry to get movies now. It must add millions to the budgets. Although they atill embellish and get firearms stuff really wrong all the time. We are all spoiled by the technical prowess of movies now because of directors like Ron Howard and Apollo 13 and stuff.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #67
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1 View Post
Oh man - Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies... I think it's great (right up there with Tremors - my wife's favorite)

There was one science fiction movie from the early seventies that I can't remember the title of but my friends and I collectively wished we could wipe all memory of our exposure to it away. I guess 43 yeas has succeeded since I can't rmember anything about it except how awful it was.

And no it wasn't "Dark Star" - we liked that one.

Barbarella was pretty awful but somewhat interesting - I guess it could qualify.
I also loved Fifth element, and one of my all time faves is Tremmors, the FIRST one that is the rest all sucked hard.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #68
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Although they atill embellish and get firearms stuff really wrong all the time. We are all spoiled by the technical prowess of movies now because of directors like Ron Howard and Apollo 13 and stuff.
Well, for true stories like Apollo 13, Im sure Ron wanted to actually get the facts straight. Sci Fi can be your own little world and the only real judge is the audience and how much of a leap of faith you think they are willing to take.
Being an Audio Engineer for years, I catch things like incorrect engine sounds all the time - mostly with bikes. Generally it's done pretty well but different sounds are added to make things more exciting. For example, BMW's sound boring and are usually replaced with some kind of revvy 4.
My curse is that a lot of what i do for work is quality control and I can usually spot an incorrect frame (30th of a second in many cases) so I see a whole bunch of problems with things. Im not so good with continuity issues though..... for whatever reason my wife sees that stuff.
She'll say out of nowhere THAT CUP WASNT IN THE LAST SHOT
Quote:
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #69
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Well, for true stories like Apollo 13, Im sure Ron wanted to actually get the facts straight. Sci Fi can be your own little world and the only real judge is the audience and how much of a leap of faith you think they are willing to take.
Being an Audio Engineer for years, I catch things like incorrect engine sounds all the time - mostly with bikes. Generally it's done pretty well but different sounds are added to make things more exciting. For example, BMW's sound boring and are usually replaced with some kind of revvy 4.
My curse is that a lot of what i do for work is quality control and I can usually spot an incorrect frame (30th of a second in many cases) so I see a whole bunch of problems with things. Im not so good with continuity issues though..... for whatever reason my wife sees that stuff.
She'll say out of nowhere THAT CUP WASNT IN THE LAST SHOT
I catch continuity goofs in everything. I also catch things like inaccuracies in sound (like you mention) and thinks like an insert edit of the wrong car interior and stuff like that. Sound os one of my pet peeves when done badly like in every damn gun scene they cock the gun every two seconds and every time they are shown coming round a corner or when they put it in the bad guys face.....more dramatic for the Hollyweirds I guess. Or when it is a BMW like you say with a 2 stroke or a GSXR sound track.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #70
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I catch continuity goofs in everything. I also catch things like inaccuracies in sound (like you mention) and thinks like an insert edit of the wrong car interior and stuff like that. Sound os one of my pet peeves when done badly like in every damn gun scene they cock the gun every two seconds and every time they are shown coming round a corner or when they put it in the bad guys face.....more dramatic for the Hollyweirds I guess. Or when it is a BMW like you say with a 2 stroke or a GSXR sound track.
yeha a lot of that has to do with what the public at large expects to hear. whenever people are moving guns there is always "gun" noise - metallic sound of some kind which is ridiculous of course.
also a lot of that kind of sound design makes every attempt to keep you as engaged as possible. It's the Michael Bay style which I hate.

I was at the Transformers opening night a few years ago and the guy comes out "Hey this is Transformers the running time is blah blah, directed by Michael Bay" and from the back you hear "Hey wait- IM Michael Bay!" and sure enough, Michael Bay walk out front to give a short talk.
From the people in the theater, who were already wanted to see it came an audible groan. That man can ruin any film
Quote:
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #71
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1 View Post
Silent running was done by Dalton Trumbo who also did "Johnny Got His Gun" a very dark anti-war film set in WW1 but with direct ties to the Vietnam era protests. Dalton Trumbo spent years on Hollywood's blacklist after being named a communist in the McCarthy hearings.

M
Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #72
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
I don't get the hate for DiCaprio. Yeah, Titanic was an over-hyped piece of crap, and he's kind of a pretty boy, but I've come around to think that the guy is a pretty damned good actor. I loved Catch me if you Can, The Departed, Gangs of New York, etc.

As far as really, really bad movies. I submit this:

"One Man's Justice"
It stars Brian Bosworth as an ex-army guy trying to fight corrupt cops and a drug lord played by...wait for it...

MC Hammer.

It has the single worst line of any movie ever. Dirty cop pulls a guy over. Guy says "Why did you pull me over?" Cop says "Driving while dead." and shoots him.

So completely awful in every single way, it's just awesome.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #73
NovaTrophy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
This is the GREATEST of all the bad movies.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193013/

Old 09-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #74
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
. . .
Shawn of the dead
. . .
How could you not like that movie? It was brilliant.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be

spezjag screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 06:58 PM Reason: I suck at typing
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #75
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
As soon as I saw the thread title I thought to myself Cool As Ice! But someone beat me to it.

How about this masterpiece?

Naked Lunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tC5ryr-qRs
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: