Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Outside OP
Confused

Oddometer: 155
Cool2 "When you see a red road, take it!"

Prologue:

..."Man, I've been looking for 10 years to find a girl who'll go dirt biking with me...I'm jealous".

By the dude we met in line at the Subway.

=============================

About 20 minutes into our 4 day trip the above quote was spoken to me by...well...a dude we met in line... when he saw us geared up. This was going to be our first multiday ride on the bikes together and the fact that we were grinning ear to ear on a Monday surely hinted that it was going to be a fun trip. We celebrated our 20th year together this year and have gone on many a hiking, kayaking and car camping trip. A new adventure always does a relationship a favour.

My riding partner....aka Shiny.

Our Ride:

We decided on going to Prince Edward Island on Canada's Eastern shore. The island is now connected to the mainland by way of the Confederation Bridge. The 12.9-kilometre (8 mi) long bridge opened on 31 May 1997 (Remorselessly ripped from the pages of Wikipedia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Bridge

Here are our XT225's, packed and ready to go.

Leaving Salisbury NB, we stopped in Riverview for fuel and food.

We took some side roads and the highway when necessary, getting to the bridge about 1 1/2 hour later. After a quick stop at the information booth and prepping up the GoPro helmet cam, we were on the bridge. Riding such a long span is a neat feeling but it makes for some pretty boring straight line video. Not realising this fact, we didn't take any pictures of the bridge on the way to PEI. There will be some later in the RR.

Once across we stop to at a gas station to check out the maps. Suddenly a bike wisperer approaches and says: "Those bikes are perfect for the Island....When you see a red road, take it!"

So, not wanting to upset the Island biker gods, we did.

The only problem was that this road wasn't the one we'd picked on the map earlier so...

Out comes the map again...(We've resisted the GPS purchase but the urge is getting stronger). The map checking would happen often on the trip but it had the side benefit of reducing the bottom tenderizing experienced on long trips riding XTs.

Shiny's uncle had bought a piece of land on the Northwest side of the Island and we wanted to check it out. Having had a bit of a late start to the day we took the quickest route there. Our plans were to possibly camp the night there, but if conditions didn't warrant it, we wanted to get there early enough to find a campground. Exploring would have to wait till tomorrow. We stopped in Oleary along the way looking for a place to eat and settled on Vinny's Takeout. I'm sure they have some good food but I'd recommend that you stay away from the chicken. Something should've clued me in when I asked for dark meat only and the reply was: "Oh, we don't know what it is till we cook it. It comes prepackaged in a bag".

After 3 or 10 wrong turns we eventually make it to her uncle's property.

A great location along the shores of the Northumberand Straight. Unfortunately there wasn't a suitable place to put up a tent due to the tall grass and rain was in the forecast. A fun little trail (which I ingloriously wiped out on) with deep ruts led to the spot and we weren't sure what it would become if the rainfall was significant.

We'd already scoped the area for an alternative camping spot so we rode a bit farther to Cedar Dunes Provincial Park and picked our site. Just then it started to rain. I quickly pulled out the tarp. (Hint...if you're about to throw out an old tent, keep the rain fly. They make a light waterproof tarp that usually have guylines already attached.

Then we rushed to setup the tent.....

Ahem....umm..Shiny...I said we rushed to setup the tent...

Will you quit fooling around...I need the footprint to setup the tent!!

What do you mean I can't come in ?!? (She actually said it).

When the rain let up for a bit we moved the bikes so that water wouldn't pool in the middle of the tarp and it created a nice shelter.

While sitting there a man walked up and offered us tarps and the use of his trailer if we needed to cook anything. I thanked him for his generous offer but I was still haunted by the chicken. We took a short walk to a nearby wharf and on the way back picked up a bundle of firewood. Even though there were quite a few people camping there, we only noticed one other site with a fire.

A rainy windy night was still to come, but dawn would bring sunshine and the beauty of the Island would start to reveal itself.

Outside screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 08:06 PM
Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Outside OP
Confused

Day 1 map...I think you have to post one...it's a rule or something.

Just a rough idea, I haven't posted the side roads we took.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99

And warm camp fire....
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Outside OP
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb

And warm camp fire....
You're right B-Web...ain't nothin' like it!

Forgot to post this from Day 1.
From Shiny's uncle's property:

Click this link to view video1

(sorry...Flickr cut the video half way...I'll try to fix it)
She really enjoyed pointing out that she was already off the bike before I arrived.

Day 2:
The hypnotic sound of rain hitting the tent, famous for lulling one to sleep, was countered effectively by the tarp nearby flapping in the wind. We did sleep fairly well and woke to a rainless sky though still overcast.
Short on supplies we packed up as soon as we were up.

A few local sights before finding breakfast.

Riding past the windmills and hayfields till we reached a restaurant and had a fine breakfast.

Click to view video2
S. (Pics taken by Shiny will be indicated with an "S").

Well fed and relaxed we planned out our route.

A few years ago we'd been to the northern tip of the Island in a car so we decided to double back a little and explore the eastern shore via side roads.
S.

Whenever a dirt road or trail seemed intriguing, we took it...

...and we were never disappointed.

Later down the road.

S.

No matter which dirt road we took, the sights impressed.

S.

S.

Another red road. This one led to Belmont Provincial Park.

S.

S. (I believe this is what they call dogwood)

Shiny decides to test the waters...

...so I do the same...
S.
...with dramatic consequences.

As I fell into a deep channel, my cat like reflexes kicked in and I was able to remove my shirt and hold it aloft keeping it dry. (Anybody buying this story?)

In truth I just layed back in about 8 inches of water. Not a great swim but refreshing nonetheless.

To be continued...

Outside screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 11:39 AM
Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 788
Looks like a really fun trip - great pics too!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Outside OP
Confused

Day 3 continued

Thanks AZ-ADV.

Day 2 continued...
I decided to do a bit of exploring and reached a spot that had a gate installed with a 2 foot gap in the middle. As I was about to go through Shiny says: "You can't go in there, its for hikers". I looked at it and said: "Nah...it for dual sports".
For those worried that I was breaking the rules, don't worry. I wasn't going on a single track hiking trail. It used to be a road that had been gated due to erosion of the cliff. Of course I didn't know why it was gated till I saw...

Time to hit the road again.

We follow the eastern coast until we reached Malpec. Next to a wharf we find a nice restaurant. Guess what they specialize in. I usually don't post food pics but because of the nice presentation

The best meal of the trip.
And what do you do when your not riding? Check the map of course...

...and check out the scenery.

We decided to camp at Prince Edward Island National Park. We didn't have too far to go and the ride was pleasant.

S.

S.

To get to the National park you have to ride through Cavendish. Cavendish is Man's way of improving on nature. It's got Rainbow Valley Fun Park, Sandspit Amusement Park, Wax World of the Stars, etc, etc. In short, my version of hell. It was packed with people...Damn tourists. How am I supposed to tour this place with all these dam...oh right. I don't mind an amusement park, but an entire town of it? Its a bit much. Oh well, kids like it so I understand the attraction.

I forgot to mention that there's a Santa's village

No wonder he's always jolly. Nice tux though, must be Martini night.

The park has various campgrounds so we picked the one that seemed the most isolated on the map which was Robinson Island campground.

Well that turned out well.
At least the ride there was nice.

Within 15 kilometers was Stanhope campground. We had a choice of getting a site with a firepit in a more open area, or a secluded site but no firepit. We opted for privacy though it felt kinda wrong to be tenting and not have a fire. The appreciation for the outdoors and peace and quiet are some of the few things we have in common. Truth be told we're somewhat opposites. She likes dance music, I like alternative folk. She can be a bit introverted, I can't keep my mouth shut. She's organized and neat, I'm....not.
Example:
Shiny's ride.

Now take a good look at this cluster.

Being opposites has its advantages though. Take food for example. She likes white meat, I like dark. Makes choosing who gets what piece of chicken a breeze. What we do share is a sense of humour. That is key.
The sun was quickly going down and I really wanted to check out the sand dunes again in the light of the sunset. Shiny surprised me by saying: "Why don't you go riding and take pictures while I setup the tent?" After making sure she didn't mind I headed out.

While riding around I decided to try to find a store to get some ground coffee for the following morning. After riding about 20 km's I finally find one. Riding back I am reminded why a tinted visor is not recommended in the waining light of day.

Back at camp we relaxed, listened to some tunes on the MP3 player and made a call to make sure the homestead was still there.

"Its kinda nice here, do you want to spend two nights?"

Outside screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 05:54 PM
Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Looks like some nice riding and scenery. Nice job on the report
Makes my want to load up my 250 and go for a long trip. I guess I'll have to buy some lightweight camping gear.

Thanks for posting.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Just read your report again. I liked it even more the second time.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Great pics. It's so beautiful there!
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Great to see NB ride report on here! Thanks for sharing your ride
Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,347
My wife and I were supposed to go to PEI this year but did not make it. I will have to make it up next season.

Looks like beautiful country and a fine time in the company of a lovely lady..what more can a guy ask for?
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Outside OP
Confused

Thanks for the comments all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Looks like some nice riding and scenery. Nice job on the report
Makes my want to load up my 250 and go for a long trip. I guess I'll have to buy some lightweight camping gear.
Light gear is the way to go. Even the mess I have on my bike hardly affects the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
My wife and I were supposed to go to PEI this year but did not make it. I will have to make it up next season.

Looks like beautiful country and a fine time in the company of a lovely lady..what more can a guy ask for?
Well worth the trip, the Island can be done easily in a day, but some of the nicest scenery is found at the end of little side roads.

The following update is a bit short but I'll make up for it on the next one. I started it a bit too late .

Day 3.

After a great sleep, I didn't even have to get out of the tent to start the coffee. Heck, I didn't even have to get out of the sleeping bag. They should design kitchen/bedrooms like that for lazy people like me. A great benefit of Prince Edward Island is that there are no bears. We're not forced to keep our food hung in a tree away from the site.

The right way to wake up. Nice campsite with coffee brewing.

We'd made the decision to spend two nights at the campground and spend the day exploring the Southeastern side of the Island. With the gear left at camp, all we needed was a backpack. About 3 kilometers from our site....

For those who prefer slightly more "civilised accomodations".

S.

The wise man who told us to take the red roads was definately on to something.

S.

S.

S.

S.

The road led to an amazing beach with hardly a soul around.
S.

S.

S.

S.

Later we stopped near Morel for breakfast. While bringing our coffee the waitress knocked the tray slighly sending a cascade of milk flying. She was apologetic and seemed a bit embarrassed. We joked a bit with her and she rushed to clean the spill. I didn't have the heart to point out the leg of the customer sitting next to us which was dripping.

We then kept going East and stopped at the Greenwitch Interperative site. There were quite a few hiking trails, one that seemed to go to an extremely large sand dune. Inappropriately geared for a hike, we settled instead with climbind up a tower.

S.

S.

The temperature was climbing so we wasted little time getting back on the road....
Old 08-26-2010, 02:27 AM   #13
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,347
Pics are great...you got me convinced
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #14
Lobster Grrl
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
Looks like you two had a great time
The scenery is beautiful! I love the red rocks and dirt.

I think I smell a bike trip next year....

lg
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,305
great RR, those red roads around Elgin are nice too, right in your backyard...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote