User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
bomber60015 OP
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,339
Traffic Cirlce Protocol

Traffic circles are appearing in the Midwest (Wisconsin and Illinois) in small, but significant numbers.

Sadly, they are all fairly small in diameter, which seems to lead to fair tight packing of vehicles within said circles. This makes entering the whirling dervish tough, and seemingly impossible for some timid individuals.

It would be easier if it were obvious that the vehicle in the circle approaching you was going to leave it, but people either do not signal their intentions, or signal their intention to ENTER the traffic circle ;-}

So, what's the standard protocol on round abouts? Signal? Rude Gestures? Tossing BBs at everyone?

thanks
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
MT Wallet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Before I left Michigan the damn things were springing up all over the place. It seems the latest greatest thing in the minds of traffic engineers is the roundie. They must have had a conference in GB and were seduced by all things European. It looks like a disorganized free for all and I dread using them. The aggressive driver forces his or her way into the circle and essentially intimidates the meek folks who, like you, don't know the rules of roundie courtesy. Maybe some of our Brit members can enlighten us. I wish this faddist little trend would stop. On 2 wheels I don't want some unpredictable cage driver to just pop out looking for a hole in the driver chaos. I'm guessing the drivers are looking for everything bigger than me.
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
As strange as it sounds, the confusion created by different kinds of drivers using a circle is one of the things that make them safer than traffic signals or stop signs. When drivers get confused they slow down and look around. Traffic circles result in slower speeds and a higher level of awareness at intersections. They also force everyone into the same general direction so collisions are at lower angles. You might get a glancing blow but you won't get T-boned, have somebody turn in front of you, or hit you head on as they would at a normal intersection.

Circles also move traffic faster than signals. Nobody has to sit waiting for a left turn light or sit at a red light when no one is even coming from the other direction.

Traffic circles are not trends. Data shows they are safer and move traffic better than the traditional intersection controls. They generate less air pollution and burn less fuel because cars are not idling and there is less stop and go. They scare the crap out of me too. Especially the ones with multiple lanes. They can also be great fun when traffic is light. Get your knee down and make sparks.

The protocol is those in the circle have the right-of-way over those yet to enter. Changing lanes in a circle is standard protocol, yield if it is occupied. Signaling is good but auto-cancel mechanisms in cars can make that impossible depending on the radius. Try not to get hit or hit anyone.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 04:24 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
They're really not that bad. Sheesh. You'd rather stop?
Yield to traffic coming from the left. Easy Peasy.
Just like anywhere, the cages are out to get you. Watch your 6 so you don't get rear ended. Use turn signal to exit the roundie.
Don't ask the brits. They drive on the left.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
I was in Sedona earlier this year and the whole town is made up of these.
Even with busy traffic you can get through really quickly. I'd like to see more in my town.
I only know of one but it works well. Just remember to never trust a blinker and all is well.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
They have had them here (mass) for many moons, and they work well IMHO.... I actually prefer the smaller ones as I can see the whole thing. The larger circles make it harder to predict others behavior (again my opinion). The rules are simple as previously stated. If you are in the circle you have right of away (not that means shit when they are in a cage, and you're on a bike). I signal in traffic circles wether in a cage or on a bike, because I believe it's courteous, but many don't. I have three rules for rotories as we call them. Best to follow these rules in order.

1. Don't die
2. Trust no one
3. Dictate your actions. Timid drivers get hurt in these things

Remember you can always keep going around if a window doesn't open for your exit. It sucks but it beats the hell out of violating rule #1
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
An epidemic awaits

KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Steigs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwrkr View Post
They have had them here (mass) for many moons, and they work well IMHO.... I actually prefer the smaller ones as I can see the whole thing. The larger circles make it harder to predict others behavior (again my opinion). The rules are simple as previously stated. If you are in the circle you have right of away (not that means shit when they are in a cage, and you're on a bike). I signal in traffic circles wether in a cage or on a bike, because I believe it's courteous, but many don't. I have three rules for rotories as we call them. Best to follow these rules in order.

1. Don't die
2. Trust no one
3. Dictate your actions. Timid drivers get hurt in these things

Remember you can always keep going around if a window doesn't open for your exit. It sucks but it beats the hell out of violating rule #1
Yep.

Still wonder why they got rid of the one on Rt 2 by Alewife. Seems traffic is much worse with the intersection there now.
Steigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,835
Why are circles hard?

Oncoming to your left? Yield.

Otherwise-GO!!

Ideally, signal your intentions but the smaller roundabouts almost make it impossible to do so.

Try this on for size: in my hometown there was a roundabout & it was called The Circle; rule of the road was traffic entering had right of way-never saw that anywhere else on the planet!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Traffic circles are fantastic, the people in the US not used to them are not. They are great at reducing accidents that result in fatalities and keep traffic moving at a steady pace. I am glad to see a bunch springing up around me. Small traffic circles are a little harder to judge people's intentions, just slow down a little and use your best judgement. Most people go really slow through them in my area so as long as someone isn't right at the exit closest to where I am entering I am good to go.

Larger traffic circles are nice, signal when approaching (right for first exit, no signal for 2nd exit, left signal for 3rd exit) and then signal again when exiting if you have time. Use the inside most lane if you are going to any exit other than the 1st and then transition to the outside lane if your exit is approaching. If you screw up you can just circle around again, extremely convenient.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 171
Wink Round and round and...

Traffic circles are popping up around here more often. Several places in town have them at every intersection, which makes for four or five circles in a row. As long as you know what you're doing (ref. above posts) then you're good. Watching transplants from Cali try to negotiate these things is hilarious! Same goes for the brain-dead locals who have never gotten out of town. Me? I just see them as another form of twisty.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Got em here now too, but some folks will avoid parts of town where they are. I think the are great. People just need to get comfortable with the space needed to enter, not as much as entering a straight roadway. And cars are not traveling as fast around the circle so if youre accidentally a little to aggressive its not that big a deal as slowing is much easier.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
they starting haphazardly chucking roundabouts on freeway on/off ramps in AZ poorly marked and confusing as hell not to mention the fear factor for someone whom has never entered one before

then We have some private roundabouts that have an inner and outer lane
so when you enter as a two lane road but only the outer can exit at some portions being they are one lane this traps the inner lane drive either in limbo
or forced to cut off another driver ( this option is chosen the most LOL )

but hey it saves the cost of a street light
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Magic Roundabout; Swindon, England.

In some place roundabouts work well, because locals are familiar with / educated how to use them. They are common in my homeland New Zealand, and work well there. Here in Phuket there are a few, and most are a nightmare because of the selfish attitude of road users. On a motorcycle I negotiate them OK, but it is high stress stuff.

There are a lot of roundabouts in England, and they work well there. Here is the Magic Roundabout in Swindon, which I first encountered when driving a large van towing a large trailer...... "Look out I'm coming through!"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Roundabout.svg

I made it ok, but went back to check it out in more leisurely circumstances before I went through it again. Once I had sussed it the roundabout was not a problem. As with all matters motoring, it is just a matter of knowing where you want to go and planning accordingly. Most people who use the roundabout are locals who do so frequently, so it works well.... even allowing for the odd newcomer!

Aj Mick screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 09:56 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #15
FozMaster
Air Pirate

Oddometer: 68
I love when I encounter an unoccupied roundie, or better yet, a series of them. Flick right, flick left, flick back to the right, and continue on!