Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I moved to MA in 1990 and commuted for probably 5 years before I discovered the traffic in the circle has the right of way and are to be yielded to. For some reason I expected the vehicle entering the circle would have the right of way (I was a typical arrogant Cali driver). Anyway after a couple close calls, I figured it out and I am patient with them, particularly on my bikes.

Some traffic circles around here can be a bit hairy because they are relatively fast and crowded. And yes they are often referred to as roundabouts. In NJ they have roundabouts and jug handles.

I think the small circles in towns are pretty great because things keep moving, they are slow and it is easy to see intentions of people using them.
Glad that you have discovered this. Roundabouts rely on patience and cooperation among road users. Traffic lights seem to inspire competition.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 03:05 AM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Used to be fairly grim accidents at a few intersections nearby. I remember at least 2 different MC fatalities at one near a popular bar.

That just means higher Amount of traffic. Bars are everywhere out here.

Anyhow, we now have roundabouts and I love it. Safer for everyone. Though I do see big trucks cut the curb and other craziness, speeds are a lot slower.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #33
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 489
Here's my American roundabout/rotary (they're not the same--caution, PDF link) question for everyone:

In Australia, you signal left if you're going left from where you're entering, right if you're going right, and no signal if you're going straight on.

In Germany, you signal right as you approach your exit.

In Massachusetts, you don't signal at all, but that's no different from anywhere else on the roads .

So, in parts of the US where cars have turn signals, how (if at all) do you signal? A number of state governments have put out "OMG WTF IS A ROUNDABOUT" brochures, but none of them say anything about it.

der_saeufer screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 09:45 PM
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #34
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Here's my American roundabout/rotary (they're not the same--caution, PDF link) question for everyone:

In Australia, you signal left if you're going left from where you're entering, right if you're going right, and no signal if you're going straight on.

In Germany, you signal right as you approach your exit.

In Massachusetts, you don't signal at all, but that's no different from anywhere else on the roads .

So, in parts of the US where cars have turn signals, how (if at all) do you signal? A number of state governments have put out "OMG WTF IS A ROUNDABOUT" brochures, but none of them say anything about it.
If i'm reading this right you don't have indicators(turn signals)? how do you let other road users know what your going to do.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #35
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
If i'm reading this right you don't have indicators(turn signals)? how do you let other road users know what your going to do.
Well the cars have them (at least all of them built since sometime around the forties), but lots of people don't know about them, so it seems anyway.

In Massachusetts, drivers tend to rely on clairvoyance.

I signal when I'm exiting the roundabout, which is more or less the normal behavior around here.
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #36
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
I think that the protocol for these has been adequately covered, just watch your ass to make sure that somebody else is not going to do something stupid...

That being said I think we need more traffic circles replacing intersections around the US, once people figure them out traffic moves in a much more orderly fashion with fewer delays and what seems like fewer accidents.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #37
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,434
They're popping up all over and I like it. There's a new one in a town not far from here and people still stop before entering to look to see if there's any traffic coming. Odd since there are others in the state that function pretty well.

While visiting Boston in '80 a friend living there said "Don't signal -- ever -- it only tells other drivers how to cut you off".

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #38
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Over the last year two roundabouts have been installed on my route to work. I was I initially skeptical but now I'm a believer. They cut down my commute time significantly.

They are the two lane variety and here are a couple of things I've learned: don't go around directly next to a vehicle, drivers will often "cut" the circle when they are in the outside lane. Don't assume incoming traffic will yield like they are supposed to. I've seen some really close calls from folks just blowing in without even looking, and I've seen the aftermath of many many fender benders. Especially when they first opened, the frequency seems to be dropping off now. Also the "rules" vary, at some interchanges one lane is required to exit, sometimes they can continue round, you have to keep your head on a swivel and be ready for anything.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #39
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
I hate roundabouts, why? cause its an indication yer on a road with enuf traffic to warrant one, almost as bad as lights
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #40
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 606
The roundabouts are popping up like weeds in the Green Bay area. I for one like them, but it sure befuddles some of the locals. The usual, approach the roundy with NO preplanning of your route, STOP at the entrance and WAIT until ALL traffic is cleared, NO signal. We even had an older lady turn LEFT onto a roundy because she wanted to go left and not around it. Aside from that, I have my own protocols on a bike:
  • Make sure I have decent space between me and the vehicle in front, in case said vehicle stops instead of rolling through at the entrance to the rounder,
  • Watch vehicles in the left lane approach of a rounder, in case they suddenly realize thy need/want the right lane to go right off the rounder, could be the new "pinch" like a left turner,
  • don't treat rounders as my little GP track, especially in areas where lots of heavy truck traffic polishes the surface
  • watch for large painted arrows in the lane on the rounder
  • signal when I am going right, before I enter the rounder
  • DON'T assume cagers see you on your bike on the rounder, I have noticed at times in my car/pickup that the left windshield post easily blocks vision enough to hide a motorcycle,
  • never assume a cager will maintain their lane on the rounder
Aside from that I like them, and they certainly reduce one of our bigger risks, the car turning left into our path of travel
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #41
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
There is a simple roundabout I have to drive through every day arriving and and leaving work. All of us here at work call it the circle of death. Almost daily I see people driving the wrong way through it, stopping in the circle to let approaching traffic in instead of the other way around, or some asshole blazing into it and crashing into somebody else who had the right of way. There are several accidents in it per month.

My only rule with it is not to get hit. Navigating it when it is busy ALWAYS ramps up my heart rate. I've actually gotten in the habbit of using the horn while on the motorcycle just to make damn sure people are watching me while I go through and I don't get plowed into by somebody blazing into it at 30 MPH.

I think the biggest problem with this circle is that it is divided into two lanes, but it is on the small side for this. There isn't time to change lanes before you need to exit the circle again, so the lanes are essentially meaningless and people just dive into and out of whatever lane they feel like.

The other problem is that this circle is heavily trafficed by folks going into and leaving the state's biggest public university hospital. This means that they A) are old and can't drive, B) are illegal immigrants and don't give a shit, C) have never been here before and have no idea where they are going and how to navigate the circle, or D) all of the above.

Lastly this roundabout has crosswalks at every entrance and there is a ton of pedestrian and bicycle traffic due to being a college campus. Mix this all together and you have a nightmare.

There is another roundabout on the other side of town that is roughly three times the diameter of the one I was just discussing, and it is generally only trafficked by people who know about it, and it runs VERY smoothly. There are also several in Payson AZ, which I visit a few times a year since my dad lives shortly north of there, and those all work really well too.

In short, I like them when they work, and the people driving through them understand them. But make them too small, and in an area crowded with drivers who have no idea what's going on, and they are disaster zones.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #42
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,569
They put in roundabout near my home, and I tested to discover my maximum circular speed was 52 indicated. Then they spilled tar all over it and ruined it for me. I finally get a nice race track and they mess it up.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #43
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,482
As a rider I dig traffic circles because nobody turns left in front of you, nobody can run the traffic light or stop sign to nail you and you aren't stuck sitting at a light waiting to be rear ended. Plus they are kind of fun to zoom around. As a guy in the highway biz it is all about reducing vehicle crossing points of conflict from usually 16 to zero. With nobody turning left crashes go from deadly head-on or tee bone crashes to the occasional fender bender sideswipe. Granted getting sideswiped on a bike would suck. But it still wouldn't suck as badly as being rear-ended, hit head-on or nailed broadside. As a rider you should have more control over not getting yourself sideswiped than the others.

So y'all might as well get used to them because they really are safer than regular intersections. Wherever there is room and the right volume that is what the engineers will design. There is a rural intersection here that averaged a couple of fatalities a year from people running the stop signs. So MDOT built a traffic circle that you can't see past to block sight lines and force a slow down and turn. There have been zero accidents there in ten years. Not zero fatal accidents - zero accidents. The other plus is no backups like the four way stop and no more flashing warning lights to annoy the neighborhood. It just sits there doing the job not costing anybody anything and even looking halfway decent.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #44
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
As a rider I dig traffic circles because nobody turns left in front of you, nobody can run the traffic light or stop sign to nail you and you aren't stuck sitting at a light waiting to be rear ended. .

That is a good benefit right there for all motorcyclists
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #45
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
As a rider I dig traffic circles because nobody turns left in front of you,

so you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
We even had an older lady turn LEFT onto a roundy because she wanted to go left and not around itl
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote