Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #46
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
and you aren't stuck sitting at a light waiting to be rear ended.
no, yer stuck at a yield sgn waiting to get rear ended

I see roundabouts as a bottleneck
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #47
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
no, yer stuck at a yield sgn waiting to get rear ended

I see roundabouts as a bottleneck
In Europe there are definite guidelines about how to signal in roundabouts. People generlly do it right for the country they are in. It all works very well, much more efficient that everyone stiopping. In the US there are no guidelines, so almost no one signals at all.

I do the English method of signaling, as it seems the most sensible, but I'm sure no one here even sees them.

Just go fast so you can't get hit from the back, watch for blind drivers from the side, don't hit anyone in front, don't get stuck alongside anyone, it's all good.
Beats the Hell out of the ludicrous four way stops we have.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #48
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
They put in roundabout near my home, and I tested to discover my maximum circular speed was 52 indicated. Then they spilled tar all over it and ruined it for me. I finally get a nice race track and they mess it up.

Rod
43 and 96, I suppose?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #49
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Well the cars have them (at least all of them built since sometime around the forties), but lots of people don't know about them, so it seems anyway.

In Massachusetts, drivers tend to rely on clairvoyance.

I signal when I'm exiting the roundabout, which is more or less the normal behavior around here.
Like I mentioned before, Once you go through them you learn "body language" for cars. Watch where the car is pointed, where the driver is looking, is the car more to the inside, or is it moving toward the outside of the circle?

But then again, spending a few years in a semi helped me to fine tune my intuition on other drivers, I had a pretty good success rate at predicting what drivers were going to do before they did it.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #50
jamajo
third wheel

Oddometer: 224
They installed a 3-lane roundabout here earlier this year, at one of the busiest intersections, in a city that only had maybe half a dozen before that.

I just heard on the news this morning that there have been over 70 accidents there since it opened, versus only 5 in a similar time period pre-roundabout. They are considering making some changes.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
jamajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #51
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Running in Circles

Most places the rule is the vehicle in the roundabout has the right of way.

I believe most folks think its "first in, first out!"
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #52
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
And a distrubing portion of the car driving public here in Green Bay have yet grasped the concept of timing relative to roundabouts. Seen it often; driver approaches the entry at about the same time as another car approaches the circle entry to the left. Both are essentially evenly spaced at about the same entry speed. Yet, FIRST driver decides to WAIT until the other car comes around.

NO clue at all that BOTH can enter the circle at the same time and maintain the same gap. In theory, that should work if four cars arrive at the circle at the same time. Its also why the entry speed is typically 15 mph and the entry to the circle is on a slight angle. But too many drivers around here think it's "polite" to wait for the car to their left.

So I am always cautious approaching a roundabout entry with a vehicle in front of me. Too many times that vehicle suddenly stops when there was plenty of time/space available.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #53
GDI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
And a distrubing portion of the car driving public here in Green Bay have yet grasped the concept of timing relative to roundabouts. Seen it often; driver approaches the entry at about the same time as another car approaches the circle entry to the left. Both are essentially evenly spaced at about the same entry speed. Yet, FIRST driver decides to WAIT until the other car comes around.

NO clue at all that BOTH can enter the circle at the same time and maintain the same gap. In theory, that should work if four cars arrive at the circle at the same time. Its also why the entry speed is typically 15 mph and the entry to the circle is on a slight angle. But too many drivers around here think it's "polite" to wait for the car to their left.

So I am always cautious approaching a roundabout entry with a vehicle in front of me. Too many times that vehicle suddenly stops when there was plenty of time/space available.
Yah, except lotsa times the driver approaching from the left isn't doing 15mph. They're doing 25mph! Why slow down when they're just going straight through the other side?

Count me among those who stop. I've got a lot more to lose than they do.

GDI
GDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #54
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I only signal (left signal) when I intend to drive around past the most commonly used entry where cars are waiting to enter. Other signals can be misleading--the exits are too close together. One time I had to circle 270° to get to my exit, and the woman waiting to enter looked to her right (!) then started to enter too close in front of me. My FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns angled to the right of my bike worked very well.

When about to enter, I watch the direction the front wheels point on the car coming toward me--if angled left, they're exiting and I can enter.

I saw one series of wrecks...one car didn't know where they wanted to exit and stopped. The following car hit them. The next car hit them. I stopped clear.

A motorcycle rider crashed on a local roundabout when he hit a coyote that didn't obey the Yield sign.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #55
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I only signal (left signal) when I intend to drive around past the most commonly used entry where cars are waiting to enter. Other signals can be misleading--the exits are too close together. One time I had to circle 270° to get to my exit, and the woman waiting to enter looked to her right (!) then started to enter too close in front of me. My FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns angled to the right of my bike worked very well.

When about to enter, I watch the direction the front wheels point on the car coming toward me--if angled left, they're exiting and I can enter.

I saw one series of wrecks...one car didn't know where they wanted to exit and stopped. The following car hit them. The next car hit them. I stopped clear.

A motorcycle rider crashed on a local roundabout when he hit a coyote that didn't obey the Yield sign.

I'm waiting for a group of riders to get on the circle and go round and round and round and round and round......
Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #56
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Got held up at my circle today.

Two cars in front of me entering the circle. Traffic in the circle.

Bet I was stopped at least 30-seconds!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #57
bomber60015 OP
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,428
The circle that had me asking the question was encountered by a first timer today . . . . outa state plated SUV halted until there was no traffic in the circle at all . . . . not entirely uncommon, but, er, inappropriate (there was lots of room for the SUV get enter the circle.

The behemoth managed to travers about 100 degrees of the circle when the alert pilot spotted a car, stopped, at the entrance in fron t of them.

Until this morning, I would have bet against a large SUV activating it's ABS at 1.73 miles per hour.

I would have lost.

And, yes, a cell phone was involved.

Slight thread jack -- why would a company name their bloated pig of a vehicle "Armada." One could HOPE for a highly developed sense of corporate irony, I spose.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #58
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Why are circles hard?

Oncoming to your left? Yield.

Otherwise-GO!!

Ideally, signal your intentions but the smaller roundabouts almost make it impossible to do so.

Try this on for size: in my hometown there was a roundabout & it was called The Circle; rule of the road was traffic entering had right of way-never saw that anywhere else on the planet!
Up until a few years ago, Halifax (Nova Scotia) had what they called a rotary. The actual rule written into the DOT legislation was traffic inside the circle had to yield to traffic entering. It was like this for 20+ years until it was changed to a proper roundabout. Now half the population of the city yields when entering it while the other half jam on their brakes throughout the roundabout to let people in. I'll go though it in my car not on the bike.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #59
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
Come to Boston... You'll see conduct in the "Row-da-ree" FIRST HAND!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #60
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
Saw it yesterday in Depere WI coming to the entry of the roundabout on the east side of the bridge, we're on my bike. Line of slow moving cars in the right entry lane, because the mini-van at the front is going even slower than 15mph.

She, in the mini-van (confirmed upon a later pass) turns right onto the rounder, and STOPS for traffic at the entry for the next part of the circle. Sudden brake lights/traffic stack up, at 15 mph, horns blaring. Yeesh.

It really isn't that tough! But then, we're expecting people to THINK while they are driving.