Yes, we LOVE Nevada!

....teaser

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,468
This counts as our third trip to Nevada. Each trip gets longer, and we keep discovering more amazing things about this beautiful state right next door. We haven't even touched the southern half yet!

I read about Jarbidge, NV. a couple years ago and my main goal this trip was to make it out to this tiny town hidden away in the northeast corner. I love reading ride reports, studying maps, and searching the web for information about the places we go. It is really cool to see a place in person that I have read about, often it is more amazing than I imagined. It is pretty fun to say to my husband, "Hey, I read about this place, let's go here." He is usually in the dark about where I am taking him, and when we get there if it turns out to be spectacular,which is pretty easy in Nevada, it is like uncovering a treasure.

This was the planned route, always subject to revision!

View Nevada 2013 in a larger map

My Ride Reports

Hobbes950 screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 03:21 PM
Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
all I see is HWY 80????

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,869
IN.

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Yeah, the map sometimes doesn't work right away. Click the link below it to see. Hopefully it will decide to cooperate soon.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Ok, the map appears to be working now. Here's a rundown of the plan-

Day 1 and 2
Scoot out to the Black Rock Desert and catch the Balls22 crowd doing their thing. Shooting rockets out in the desert, sounds like a funky crew doing some crazy things. Camp on the playa or more likely Frog Pond where we stayed last time. Then head to the Santa Rosa range.

Day 3
Santa Rosa to Jarbidge. Maybe camp, maybe hotel.

Day 4
Jarbidge to Lamoille Canyon, continuing on down across the Ruby Mountains to the hot springs at Ruby Lake.

Day 5
Find our way through Eureka to Potts hot springs, Diana's Punchbowl and/or beyond.

Day 6
Highway slog towards home, cutting out around Hawthorn to hit the dirt and temporary abode for the last night somewhere in the eastern Sierras.

Day 7
Paved twisty day! Monitor Pass, Highway 88, Mormon Immigrant Trail, and the backroads into Placerville, up 49 and onward to home sweet home.

Our daily home is where we find it on the road. Follow the tracks until the time and place are right, pitch a tent and we are good to go. Another glorious thing about Nevada!

Here is a random, unplanned camp spot just to give you an idea of what is out there.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126

Also in! I love this type of trip and can't wait to get MY other half to agree to take a chance on some of the rides I've been planning!
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 204
I'm in!
Heading out there again in a week or so on the KTM 350 EXC-F, wx permitting, to explore some tracks way off the beaten path.
Looking forward to your Hot Springs/campsite reports.
And thanks for the Jarbidge update!

Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Classic start to our trips; packed, loaded, geared up, electronics sorted, wheeled out, key turned, .....silence. Oh, hell no!

Ha ha! Not in neutral!

Good one sweetie.
Day one is basically getting to the beginning of our trip. Giant tarmac slab to Reno, last minute shopping at REI, top off with In-N-Out, and on to the playa.
We arrived at Frog Pond to find a naked man offering us beer. No, really. Some guys from the rocket crew were escaping the wind and dust of the lake bed with a warm soak and cold brews. One guy was getting more beer from the car as we rode up. I think it took him a second to realize I was female. He was laughing and covering up and I put my hand over my visor to save his modesty. He called over, "Hey, want a beer?" as we pulled off our helmets. Well this is certainly a fabulous start to the trip!
We chatted with them about the rockets and the characters who fly them for a while, then they went on their way. We set up camp, anchoring down the tent with parachute cord and rocks. We had been fighting a nasty crosswind all the way from I-80, and it was creating quite the dust storm out on the playa. Even sheltered in the trees we were in for a blustery night. We had a soak and some snacks and snuggled in for the night. Tomorrow we officially begin our third venture out to see Nevada.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,474
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Sounds like a fun trip.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,453
Nice start, looks like a nice loop.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950
nice pic!

every damn hot spring has a nekkid guy.

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
For a minute, I dated a guy in Reno. I LOVED driving all over northern NV looking for hot springs. I came to the conclusion that you could get from anywhere to anywhere in Nevada via an unpaved road... Now that I have the bike, I wish that area was still part of my regular stomping grounds. The TW would love it. (I've only seen ONE naked man worth seeing at a hot spring... but so worth seeing.)

Can't wait to see the rest of the ride!
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Day 2

Can you see the little tiny rainbow?
Rain on the playa, we thought that may be a bad idea.

Started the day with a morning soak, broke camp, and headed out for our first excursion out on to the Black Rock alkali flats. We could see the trailers of the rocket guys, so once we crossed the train tracks and made it through the scrub, we made a bee line for them. The playa was a new surface for us and having read several warnings, we kept our speed to a conservative 50mph. The flats were softer than we imagined, but not scary soft. It was pretty cool to just cruise along such a wide open area.

We made it to the camper village, but discovered not much was going on. It was still pretty windy, there was quite a bit of cloud cover and a threat of showers. We looked around a bit and said hey to the guys we met the previous night, then high tailed it to Gerlach before the rain decided to get serious about starting it's day. We topped of our tanks, both ours and the bikes and took off for the Santa Rosa Range via Jungo Rd.

The roads in Nevada are funny. We start our a bit cautiously, but slowly gain confidence and with each upshift gain speed. I was taking the lead for a bit at a nice 50 mph clip when Nevada gave me a little tap on the shoulder. "Hey you. Yeah, you. Whadda ya think you're doin'?"

The sign said, "DIP." It didn't say, "Two big ol' trenches filled with silt." I saw it too late. The first "dip" was a couple of feet across and about six inches deep. I probably hit it about 40mph. There wasn't much I could do but steady throttle and hold on. YAY! I made it.... UH OH! "Dip" number two was not so nice. About four feet across and at least ten inches deep with most of that filled with more silt. I plowed in. The bike kicked to the right. Ok, ok....
I can still pull up the image in my mind like a still off a GoPro. I am holding on, somewhat floating, and the bike is below me perpendicular to the road. I can't pull out of this one. Next thing I am hitting the road. I slid a bit and reached up quickly to hit my intercom and warn my husband, Hans, behind me. Before I could say anything I looked behind me to see a big GS swerving crazily through the silt. I don't know how he did it, but he held it together. As he passed me, a pannier box went skidding off the side of the road. I wondered how his box managed to come off.

Hans said that he was a couple hundred feet behind me when I hit. I was already throwing up a cloud of dust when he saw a giant cloud explode in my vicinity. He knew I was somewhere in that cloud and was scared he might run me over. He managed to make it through both pits and miss me, but there was nothing to do but nail my pannier head on. He was sure that would have taken him down, but it was no match for 600 pounds of Gelande Strasse.

That was the box I saw. I didn't even know it was mine. Man, I hope I can put that thing back on! I seemed to be ok, but my bike seemed a little sad. I am pretty upset that I didn't get a picture. Guess I wasn't thinking straight with my bike laying there puking gas onto the road. We got her picked up and assessed the carnage.

Pummeled box and bent rack.

Bent handlebar clamp

Broken mirror, the plastic hand guard came off too, but it was only ziptied on anyway.

Various scratches and chipped paint

And my favorite, check out that rear set!

It's just sticking straight out there! Like a... a... a thing that sticks straight out!

She started right up though, and the box made it back on with a little persuasion. Reality check noted, we continued on. We kept the speed down and avoided the dreaded fourth gear for the rest of the trip. We were in no real hurry anyway, and desert roads are not to be trusted.

The rest of the ride went by unmolested. The climb up Buckskin Canyon was really nice and we found our campsite on Cabin Creek pretty early, around 3:30 or so. It was nice to just relax a bit and it was a real nice afternoon anyway. Hans was napping and I was addressing my bikes issues of the day when the wind suddenly kicked back up. Our tent location suddenly became a bad idea and we had to fight the wind to get it moved, find rocks to anchor it down, and move the bikes to provide some sort of wind break. After that was done, we looked to the ridgeline to see black clouds forming. Crap!

Hans hates the wind. The clouds stayed on the ridgeline, and became less threatening, but we were still in for a wet windy night. No matter, look where we are!

We took a walk down the creek, then ate dinner and settled in. Just as dusk was setting, and the rain began, Hans said, "I hope the ground doesn't get soft and the bikes fall over...."

In a moment of brilliance, we decided to try and find flat rocks to put under the kickstands. Now, remember, we were settled in, which means jammies. (No, we don't bring jammies, I mean nature's jammies.) We donned rain coats and shoes and ran around the meadow looking for rocks. What a sight we must have made! Here's one! No, that's a cow pie. Here's one! No, another cow pie.
No, I did not take pictures!
We ended up looking at the ground under the bikes and decided chance would probably be in our favor. We scurried into our tent and listened to the rain and wind all night.

My Ride Reports