User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,122
Day 3

It rained all night. A tent always makes it seem worse than it is, but it sounded substantial. Morning brought us beautiful blue skies and crisp, clean air.

If you look way to the right, those aren't clouds, it's a dusting of snow. As the clouds cleared from Granite Peak in the center, they revealed this.

We packed up and got on our way. This was our longest day of the trip and we had agreed that this was going to be a relaxing vacation, opposed to our "wrong turn adventure trip" of last year. It was a late start, so we decided to take our alternate route on dreaded I-80 through Elko and north to Jarbidge, but first we were to travel through the Santa Rosas, over Hinkey Pass, and down to Paradise Valley.

The ride to the pass went through some beautiful country; creek bottoms, aspen and cottonwood groves, rugged rock formations, and sweeping views. I had yet to brave the practice of mobile photography, so no pics.

On the way down the other side, we stopped to let a car pass (yeah, I know) but we were looking at the scenery, and it gave me a chance to situate my camera. The clouds obscured a lot of the views, but it was still pretty magnificent.

As an added bonus, the car that passed us drove the cows off the road for us. Thanks guys!

We got to the valley and started for Winnemucca. Even on the long flat stretches across the valley floors there are beautiful views. There is also something about the vast expanses and arrow straight roads. They aren't for everyone, but we love it.

Winnemucca- gas, water, coffee, food. That is all.

Elko- Gas, that is all.

On up to Wildhorse Reservoir, turn left. Yay! Dirt with no crosswinds! More aspen groves by Big Bend Campground and down into the Meadow Creek canyon.

Our GPS gave us a wrong turn heading down a steep road. We figured it out when our arrival time jumped an hour. No, Garmin, we don't want to go to Idaho! It was ok though, because we would have missed this.

We got back on track and at the top of the road and we could see Idaho. See it off to the right?

We pulled in to Jarbidge after six. We grabbed the last room available, showered (glorious shower) and hit the bar for local ambiance, Coors in a can, shots of Jack, and 50 cent chili dogs! Life IS good!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Day 4

For the record, this was the best day of the trip, and one of the top of the year. (3 weeks in Chile are hard to beat)

Here is a GoPro still for a teaser.

First off, breakfast!

There was one poor lady working by herself in the diner. There were two of us, plus nine guys all ordering at the same time. We luckily got our order in first. No one really minded waiting though. There was a lot of interesting conversation going on, mostly about their quads and the surrounding roads. Once we finished breakfast we had some business to take care of. The walls of the bar are painted white and are filled with signatures and messages from visiting travelers dating back to 1998 when they rebuilt from a fire. We wanted to add our mark the previous night, but they did not allow additions at night anymore because people tend to be inebriated then and their judgment tends to be a bit lacking.
We picked a spot over the slot machine and added our tag.

We gassed up and took off for Elko. The road south of town winds along a creek then climbs abruptly out of the canyon. I had read about this steep climb and wondered what we were in for. It was really a piece of cake, not even worth mentioning. When we got to the top we were treated to the first great vista of the day.

Perfect time to warm up the GoPro. I shot the whole ride down to the valley. 50 minutes consolidated into five minutes of highlights for your viewing pleasure.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Elko again- Gas again, that is all.

Our next destination was Lamoille Canyon. It is a 20 mile out and back ride into a beautiful canyon in the Ruby Mountains.

Unfortunately, the speed limit is 35mph.

It was just as well, we weren't really looking at the road.

In my searching the web for information about this trip, I ran across "Terminal Cancer Couloir." Here's a photo and video from the web.

I wanted to see what it looked like in person. I only knew it was somewhere in the canyon, I didn't even know if it could be seen from the road.
Hey! There it is!

Pretty impressive.

We had some snacks at the end of the road and made our way back out to the highway.

We turned on Old Harrison Pass Road to cross the Rubys and continue to a hot spring I read about. As we rode through the mountains, Hans noticed a possible camp spot. A little road dropped into the brush near a large rock outcropping. If the hot springs didn't have a good spot for camping, we could return and check it out.

We followed the Garmin out into the sage and dirt. There was a few roads out there, and the GPS soon became confused. Several did not appear on its screen. I had looked on Google maps several times, and had a general idea where it was, but there were tracks all over. The road we followed was heavily rutted. It didn't look like it would be much fun out there when it was wet, but that didn't seem to stop anyone. We looked around for a change in vegetation that would indicate water, but there was none to be seen. We were basically looking for a hole in the ground out on a flat plain covered in brush. We decided give up on the spring and to go back to the spot we saw earlier. Later, at home, we would look to see how close we got.

We were about a half mile away. Oh well, next time we know exactly where it is.

We went back to find a place to stay for the night. We dropped down the trail we saw earlier, through a trickle of water and up the other side. There was a nice level spot there, but the trail headed off around a corner. We checked it out and found the best spot of the week.

It was right next to a big rock.

A great big rock!

My Eagle Scout made me a fire.

Thanks to the previous inhabitants for leaving us some wood. We ate our Mountain House dinners and hung out by the fire before calling it a day, a very, very good day.

My Ride Reports

Hobbes950 screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 11:37 PM
Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #19
acidman1968
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Enjoying the RR!

Looking forward to more! It's a great way to make a slow 12 hour shift more enjoyable...
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Thanks guys. It was a real fun trip. I love to make these reports, and they are nice to have to refer to years later. We get to relive our adventures over and over.

Day 4

Our goal for today was to get to Eureka and decide where to go and what to do next. We always leave our plans pretty open for changes, and although the weather looked great, there was supposed to be some precip coming in.

First, Hans had to conquer the mountain. He loves exploring and boonie crashing and if there is ever a summit around, he wants to be on top of it. I hung out in the meadow to take pictures when he got up there and he went off on his solo adventure.

See him down in the lower left corner?

When he got up there, he discovered that it was like a molar tooth, with a little valley in the middle and steep sides all around.

There were grooves from erosion on the sides and he used these to work his way to the top.

Here is a picture he took of our meadow and me down in the lower left corner.

He was waaaaaaay up there!

My Ride Reports
Old 09-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
Steve06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Awsome

great RR. Much mahalo

2004 R1150GS
2000 KLR650
1997 Softride Roadwing
Steve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
YAY Nevada.
Loving the panoramas.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Good to hear from everyone! Thanks for reading along.

We got on the road towards Eureka. We followed the Pony Express Trail for some ways, then turned south. Motoring along these stretches of road is so therapeutic.

After a few minutes, 70mph feels like 40.

Arriving in Eureka we found the nearest WiFi and checked the weather. Chance of rain and snow all over northern Nevada. Yuk. We were good for tonight, but tomorrow was iffy. Our "schedule" had us camping in the eastern Sierras tomorrow night, and crossing Monitor pass on the way home. Niether of us were really interested in riding through the cold and wet to travel familiar roads and miles of pavement. We decided to cut for home a day early. A little re-routing was necessary. We decided to stay on course until we got to Sams Canyon Road, and take that into the mountains to camp. Potts Ranch, the hot springs, and Diana's Punchbowl would have to wait for yet another trip.

We rode up the canyon to find an empty campground. Reservation for two? We have the best room just for you!

There was a sign indicating the trail to "Toquima Cave." After setting up, we walked out to see it. The trail wandered through juniper and pinion pines.

After about a quarter mile, we reached the cave. It had a pretty serious fence.

It was to protect the pictographs inside.

This place must have had a special meaning. After studying the inside of the cave for awhile, I finally turned around to see this.

Pretty stunning. What an amazing spot. What must have this been like 2,000 years ago about when the paintings were made?

We returned to camp and ate some snacks. The gut bombs we got at the burger joint in Eureka were carrying us through the evening just fine. I was wandering around looking for a sunset viewing spot when I saw something that would be just the ticket, a rocky outcrop on the edge of the hill.

Perfect!

The wind was kicking up pretty good and it was cold up there!

We snuggled up behind the rocks and waited until the sun dipped behind the hill. It had a ways to go until it made it to the horizon, but we were only going to get colder now, so that was good enough! It always amazes me how much heat the sun actually provides, and that truth is heavily evident in the high desert.

As we got cozy for our last night, I snuck out to see the actual sunset. You can see the rocks we were up on. Nothing spectacular, but not bad.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
visualizerent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Good Stuff! keep it coming.
Great Link to the skiing video!

Now is this prime camping spot back back on Harrison Pass Rd. near the summit?
I remember (vaguely, 30 years ago) of some good camp spots at the summit of Harrison Pass in the Rubies.
We used to go fishing in the marshes for giant spring fed rainbow trout like this...

"16-1/2 Pound NV State Record Hog Caught in Ruby Marsh"
while everyone else was chasing much smaller but more plentiful Bass like this...

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #25
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 25,633
Great pic ...
I bet you are really body sore...

I liked riding around Nevada...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Oddometer: 8,994
Love the vistas!!! AND the petroglyphs. WTF do you think they were trying to capture?... Most I've seen make at least a little sense.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #27
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Now is this prime camping spot back back on Harrison Pass Rd. near the summit?
It isn't on the summit, it is on the east side, not far from the end of the pass.

Here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...02254,0.005284

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
I bet you are really body sore...
Surprisingly, I wasn't. I didn't feel like I hit hard. I just kind of belly flopped onto the road. Fly helmet, Olympia jacket, Motoport kevlar pants and some hard core Sidi boots did their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Love the vistas!!! AND the petroglyphs. WTF do you think they were trying to capture?... Most I've seen make at least a little sense.
I was trying to think about that too. I can't make sense of it. It doesn't look like anything really, just designs. But it isn't abstract ether. It reminds me of stuff my 12 year old son doodles on his school book covers.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #28
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Well, I guess I had better wrap this up. Not much left but the slab home. We got up pretty early. It was our earliest day of the trip. We rode into Austin under threatening skies and as we left after breakfast little baby balls of snow were falling.

We jetted out for Fallon, on to Reno, and over Donner pass for home.

- Let me just interject here that Fallon is a bastard of a town. It sits right on highway 50 and the speed limit drops from 70 to 55 FIFTEEN miles out of town, in the middle of BFE. It declines to 25 through town and then it is 20 miles to Fernley before you feel free of the Fallon death grip. The only reason to be in Fallon is that we are going somewhere else, and that town is like one of those cars on a mountain road that doesn't understand the concept of a turnout.

Donner pass was pretty chilly. We were set up for cold, but not friggin cold. I had long underwear top and bottom, pants liners, a primaloft jacket and a raincoat on under my riding gear, so I wasn't bad, but poor Hans toughed it out and payed the price. Just over the summit the temps dropped to 48 and stayed there until we made it down to highway 20.

Home, hot shower, dinner on a stove, and a warm bed. Very nice.

The next day did not seem too bad weather-wise. I wondered if we had made a mistake by skipping that day. Around noon I pulled up the weather for Markleeville, where we would have crossed the summit. Current temp was 42. Yeah. We're good.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
visualizerent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
[QUOTE=Hobbes950;22448859]It isn't on the summit, it is on the east side, not far from the end of the pass.

Here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...02254,0.005284

Perfect! Got it Thanks!
I was looking on the wrong side of the pass on Google Earth
Great job with the maps and pics!
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Thanks. I am kind of a map freak. My husband digs it.

My Ride Reports