User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #31
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,436
Nobody in our household has run over the cord., including the kid who started using it at 12. It is a bit more hassle but not a big deal on a small yard.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 41,051

Your neighbors can thank me later
Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #33
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,901
Ryobi makes a 40v cordless law mower that looks nice. I have the accompanying weed eater. I am pretty happy with it. Not having to mess with gas or carburetors is nice. I have about an acre of grass. Not a whole lot of trimming needs to be done, maybe 15 min, the battery lasts for maybe 2-3 laps of the yard, so 30-45 minutes.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #34
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
This look like a good one?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_421854-270-1...wer&facetInfo=
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #35
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,560
Don't water. Don't fertilize. Get a cheap/free mower off craigslist. Spend that money on more important/cooler stuff.

Bam.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #36
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Don't water. Don't fertilize. Get a cheap/free mower off craigslist....

Bam.
In california, the first two suggestions essentially means you don't need your third recommendation, bcs dead grass doesn't grow.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
I just took in my Honda, one I bought in 1998 for a service. I figured I should, since I've had it almost 15 years and have only had it checked out once in that time. Never check the oil. Never, even after all winter with old gas and no additive, had to pull it more than twice to get it started.

Best $400.00 I think I've ever spent in the last 15 years.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,960
gas rear wheel drive
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,165
If they'd only give us a diesel, I'd buy one now.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #40
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
That one is not bad. You can bag when you like and then leave the bag off and mulch most of the time.

I will second finding one on craigslist, here we are coming into the mower buyer season (winter). You can pick up some really nice mowers for very little $. Especially if you don't need a commercial unit or a rider. Which you don't.

Self propelled would be nice, but probably overkill for the size yard you are dealing with. I did 3/4 of an acre today, with my curb find, 10 year old, self propelled mower. Main thing is to keep the deck clean, if it's steel, and keep the oil changed. I empty the fuel in the fall, and I have never had a fuel related problem. Today's gas goes stale in about 2 weeks... shitty fuel.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #41
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,460
After she kicked the B-I-L out had to teach my sister about yearly storage practices on lawnmowers.

Fresh stabilized gas and oil changes. What should I do with the old oil/gas she said????? Take the used oil, mix with a little gas and paint it on the bottom of the mower I said, won't rust through unlike your other one the ex-B-I-L was maintaining.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #42
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
I got a reel mover. Don't listen to ^^^^^ that guy.

I'm not a granola cruncher. I have 2 bikes and 2 cars so I'm not a saver of the planet. I do enjoy mowing the grasss with this thing. it's quick and quiet. I can cut the lawn after getting home from a long day of riding. I don't have to cut my grass between the hours of 10am and 6pm so I don't annoy neighbours.

I bought a scott 20" reel mower when my gasser went tits up. Wouldn't go back.
i have a reel mower. they're awesome, if you stay on top of mowing. if you miss a week or three, they don't do a real good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
As far as the care. a good long watering, once a week and follow the directions on one of the fertelizer web sites. you can plug in your climate/area and it'll tell you what to do. The alternative is to call a lawn company to lay fertilizer for you.
in canyon country, a once a week watering will get you very brown grass in the summer.

i do every 3 days in the spring and fall, and every other day in the summer. 10-15 minutes, in 5 minute increments (if you water it all at once, it runs off the hardpack we have for dirt. letting it soak in increments seems to allow the water to soak into the dirt better and minimize runoff).
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #43
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Don't water.
no go. he'd end up with a dirt yard, which isn't allowed (in the front) out here (unless he's in unincorporated la county, which it doesn't look like from the picture).
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
That one is not bad. You can bag when you like and then leave the bag off and mulch most of the time.

I will second finding one on craigslist, here we are coming into the mower buyer season (winter). You can pick up some really nice mowers for very little $. Especially if you don't need a commercial unit or a rider. Which you don't.

Self propelled would be nice, but probably overkill for the size yard you are dealing with. I did 3/4 of an acre today, with my curb find, 10 year old, self propelled mower. Main thing is to keep the deck clean, if it's steel, and keep the oil changed. I empty the fuel in the fall, and I have never had a fuel related problem. Today's gas goes stale in about 2 weeks... shitty fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
i have a reel mower. they're awesome, if you stay on top of mowing. if you miss a week or three, they don't do a real good job.

in canyon country, a once a week watering will get you very brown grass in the summer.

i do every 3 days in the spring and fall, and every other day in the summer. 10-15 minutes, in 5 minute increments (if you water it all at once, it runs off the hardpack we have for dirt. letting it soak in increments seems to allow the water to soak into the dirt better and minimize runoff).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
no go. he'd end up with a dirt yard, which isn't allowed (in the front) out here (unless he's in unincorporated la county, which it doesn't look like from the picture).
Thanks for the info guys, much apprecaited, ill hit CL, but seems they are all older on there and they still want 150-200 bucks.

A honda engine sounds good.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #45
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
We have under 1/10th of an acre of grass - maybe 5,000 sq ft. It's a bit bumpy and a couple of small hills.

The two top rated mowers are the a Toro Recycler and the Hondas. HD sells both. We bought a variable speed self propelled Honda that will mulch or bag for a little over 400 at a Honda dealer. The variable speed makes it a lot faster to mow.

We had to cut a lacrosse field complex with small mowers due to excessive rain. Most of the other mowers were stalling out due to tall, wet grass. I did nearly 1/2 a field while three of them did the other half. Pretty impressive.

Ariens has since introduced their Razor. I would have purchased that if available when we bought.

CR rated the Black & Decker SPCM1936 the top choice in self propelled battery powered electrics.

Quote:
CR's Take
Want the push-button starts and low maintenance of an electric mower without the cord? This 19-inch, self-propelled Black & Decker runs on a battery that powers its blade and the rear-drive wheels. Its high price also buys impressive mulching and side-discharging, along with single-handle height adjustment (the rear-discharge chute is optional). But bagging was just mediocre. And as with other cordless mowers, your mowing must take place within the roughly 30 minutes of run time from an overnight charge.
But customer reviews revealed a disturbing number of quality problems. We ran into the same thing with a 20V B&D string trimmer - first one failed after a couple months but Lowes took it back. Had the second one a year.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 10:38 PM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: