Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Supermoto around Death Valley

Howdy inmates,

Let's see. Left San Francisco over a week ago with the plan to ride Death Valley. Apparently I'm told it's a wee bit hot still to really explore the valley, and some of the roads have been washed out due to flash floods so.....

I'm going anyway.

I'm off a great epic summer - and this is end of that trip. It started off with one month in Europe (Berlin, Paris, London and the Greek Islands). Then off to Whistler for some downhill mountain biking for the month of July.

After that - Burning Man - 1 month in the desert working for the man and hassling hippies (I work on the Perimeter team - we make sure hippies don't sneak in without tickets).

7 days at Tassajasa - a Buddhist Zen Monastery in the Carmel Valley and now....

I left last week and headed to Symbiosis - a hippy music festival outside of Modesto. Essentially one big shit show but I had some friends that I wanted to see.

Friends....

Me and Andrew - I'm on the right.

About the bike. 08 KTM 690 SMC. Last time I had an epic with this bike it was Panama to Argentina. Read all about it....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729679

Put a TKC 80 on the front and a Heidenau K60 Scout on the rear....

Loaded as usual with my camping gear, and no much else. Enduro saddle bags for tools and parts, Wolfman duffle strapped to the top, and 2 extra gallons strapped to the pegs....

Modesto out to Mariposa. 120 and 49...Woot.

Spent the night at the Yosemite Bug hostel, and went 140 to Tioga 120 to the Mobile gas station in Lee Vinning for some Buffalo Meat loaf!

Met Brian - one of the owners and he clued me in on this great hot spring near Benton Crossing in the Inyo forest. All dirt to get there.

Incredible views, incredible riding, awesome hot spring. I was warned by an old fisherman that it might snow tonight..... Hmmm. I had my doubts.

I was wrong....

Really tested the 0 degree bag - but I was warm enough.

More dirt into Bishop. Had a burger at the Burger Barn, and bought some jerky at Mahogany Meats. Took a squirt up 168 to the junction of NV 266 and turned around. Big winds - and I needed some internet and a bed for the night before popping into the park.

I'm basically winging this trip. I have some intel from a few inmates. A few have expressed concern about my fuel range (250) and the fact that I'm riding solo in really hot weather.

The good news is that temperatures have dropped considerably in the last few days and it should be bearable in the park. If it's not - I'm blasting back up to Bridgeport, Mammoth, Carson, etc....

OK now. Heading out of Big Pine in the AM. Won't have an update for quite awhile..

Enjoy!

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado

snohobo screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 05:42 PM
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
[/URL]
Sweet! Hey, did you know your bike is for sale?

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnd the bike won't start.

Actually that's not true. It started enough for me to go about 100 ft and then died.

No power. Dash won't light up. It appears to me (no electrical guru) that the ignition is non functioning. Whether it's dead, or not making a connection, I dunno.

I did notice something interesting yesterday while riding. The dash (and the bike) when out for about 2 seconds, and then turned back on. I barely felt it but did notice a cut in power for about a second or two.

Another notable incident, I reverse bled my front brake yesterday and for some reason as I was pushing fluid up into the cylinder, a bubble must have forced some brake fluid out of the reservoir and an ounce or so landed on the fairing and close to the ignition....

So I'm back in the hotel room, looking up potential fixes.

Any ideas?

snohobo screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 09:56 PM
Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

OK - found the main fuse blown.

So - one option is to buy up all the 30A fuses in Big Pine and get out of town.

Option B - stay another day and track down the short. I'm going with Option B. Don't want to be stuck out in the Valley with a dead bike...

So far I found a charred horn cable. I replaced the stock horn for an Air Horn awhile back, and when that failed after 5,000 miles of washboard, I never replaced the horn. So I had a dangling cable for a bit - it contacted the header and melted.

I don't think it's the issue - the horn isnt run off the main fuse. But these things are....

Battery
Generator
Starter Relay with Main Fuse
Light Relay
Power Relay
Start Aux Relay
Starter Motor
Voltage Regulator
Emergency OFF switch
Ignition

I pulled the ignition - but wasnt able to separate the lower portion to see that the wires were making contact. There are some tabs that need to be pushed in to pull the ignition apart and they arent moving for me and I'm scared to force it - I usually break parts this way - so I must be getting wise in my old age.

I'm hoping my ignition isnt going - itll be hard to source one from over here....

Back to checking out wires....

snohobo screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 09:56 PM
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Nice ride, hope your up and running
Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnd the bike won't start.

Actually that's not true. It started enough for me to go about 100 ft and then died.
The moto gods are with you today. That could have happened in a not so human friendly place.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 04:34 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Sooooo we all know how the day started.

I got on the bike to grab some supplies and breakfast in Bishop. I get literally no more than 100ft and the bike DIES.

I mean really dies. No ignition, no fuel pump, no speedo. Nothing. I sit there like an idiot flicking the kill switch and wiggling the ignition.....hmmm nothing.

I panic for one second - and then realize that this is all part of the master plan. The universe is trying to tell me something. What? I'm not sure yet.

I push the bike back to right in front of my motel room and assess the situation. First things first, ADV to see who's had issues like this. I find one post re: the ignition sucking ass.

Next order of business - call Vinny (crashmaster). We chat, we laugh, he points out that I'm stranded near wifi, concrete, AC, tools, and a store. I'm in good shape.

I start to pull the bike apart. I know it needs to be done - so let's start pulling things off.

I find some sludge in the coolant overflow. It looks like chocolate milk - but it doesnt make sense. Open the radiator cap and find 1mm of sludge on top. Can't be a blown gasket - bc the pressure would drive coolant into my oil, not the reverse. Oil looks like oil, not chocolate milk.

I drain the coolant overflow and rinse it out...

We look over the wiring diagram - because at this point - it's probably electrical. Battery has 13V. Contacts are good. Kill switch is off. Main fuse.

What's that and where is it?

Oh - it's blown. I've never blown a main fuse before - so I'm not even sure what it does....

Vinny tells me what it powers. OK. I start looking at wires.

I find a shorted blinker ground. That explains why my blinkers stopped working. I replace it.

I find a loose connection to my heated grips - that explains why those don't work. I fix it.

I find the charred remains of my horn cable. I snip and tape it off.

Still doesnt explain the main fuse....

Until this....

The main ground from the battery and the main harness both ground at the same point, on the frame near the top tank bolt. It looked loose, and upon further inspection - I find the ground to be sliced almost clear in half.

Must be our culprit.

At this point, it's noon and I've booked another night at the motel. Luckily for me - they still had one room available and I snatched it up. Plan is to really tighten up the bike and get some more supplies and head out tomorrow early AM to avoid the potential heat getting to Saline Valley Hotsprings - via Eureka Dunes. Woot.

I untape the ground and start making a new boomproof ground wire. Need to extend it a little...

Good thing for me - I'm staying at the Bristlecone Motel. Located right next to a Mobil station - with what is essentially a fully stocked hardware store. The only thing they didnt have was contact cleaner (they were out).

I bought butt connectors, wire, zip ties, shrink tubing, ring terminals, fuses, batteries, jb weld, and more...

Making it look pretty

While working, these bad boys came to say hi. I had seen and chatted with them yesterday filling up. They are all riding 70s Kawasakis, and on their way fishing. We chat for awhile. Check out that guys peacoat!!! Super friendly local dudes. We chat about my route - they express some concern but ultimately think that I can handle the terrain.. Time will tell...

Here's the room after being in and out all day and buying loads of crap from the hardware store....

I realized that I may be carrying too much stuff - so I get ride of about 20 lbs of useless stuff to be stored at the motel. I'll send it all home when I get back. I'm running much leaner - and that's good because I have to start carrying 18 liters of water.... mucho weight....

Update when I get some internet access. Could be a few because I have enough food to stay at the hot springs for a few nights - which I'll gladly do.

Ciao for now!

snohobo screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 10:04 PM
Old 09-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Womack
n00b

Oddometer: 2
How sweet to just stumble upon another ride report from you! I've been wondering what you've been up to lately besides hanging out with hippies.

Great views and a lot of adventure already. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Cold Kombucha waiting when you get back
Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
awesome photos.....

Thanks for a nifty RR along with an interesting electrical chase and some awesome photos....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

And I’m alive - but just barely! Just kidding mom - I’m fine.

Left the motel in Big Pine jonesing for some dirt. Here she is all packed up - tons of food and 18 liters of water. Why so much water? I’m not sure - I was told to carry lots of water. OK!

Headed out of Big Pine towards Saline Valley Hot Springs. LarryBoy said he assumed I was going to the springs via the Eureka Dunes. Thank god he said that because I was going to go the North Pass route - which has been even more obliterated by the floods than Steel Pass. At this point I’m not really sure what to expect....

Road Closed. I knew this was coming.

All roads into Death Valley are often “closed” to protect minivan drivers from getting stranded out there. What looks passable on a map is in reality not passable in a passenger car.

What’s that on the sign there...Oh - they’re not kidding this time...OK.

Head out to the Eureka Dunes and run into Paul, a dutch guy traveling in his old Benz RV - with a Yamaha 450 strapped to the back. He informs me that Steel Pass to the springs is indeed passable - but the last 12 miles are FUCKED. As in - there’s no road. It’s washed out. Essentially pick your path through the boulders.

Paul said he was going to come down to the springs via another route tomorrow and if he didn't see me there - would come looking up Steel Pass. Reassuring!

Sounds fun.

Eureka Dunes...

Into Decameran Canyon (sp?)

But first - I have to get up the 3 step up into this canyon....

Step up.

The first was OK - the second was hard as hell. Loaded down on a 690 - I thought I had met my match. Failed to make it up twice, and the third time I let her rip, wheelied up the step up and powered my way up the third. If this was any indication on what was to come - I was FUCKED.

Luckily it wasn’t. It mellowed out after that - and turned into beautiful riding.

Coming up the pass.

Top of the pass looking into the Saline Valley.

At some point - the road disappeared. I knew what Paul was talking about now. Imagine riding down a boulder wash. Now imagine it loaded down on 17s that were aired up to about 35psi to minimize rim and tube damage. I was pogoing my way down this wash - knowing that 12 miles is all I had to get through to get to the promise land.

Here I am wondering what the fuck I’m doing out here.

And here I am with a bloody nose.

I stopped taking pictures because after dumping the bike for the third time - I just wanted to get to the springs.

Made it!

Found a donkey and some friendlies.

Set up camp by the Upper Springs and intended to stay for a few nights. There were a few campers there - and all intended to leave in the morning.

Upper pools....

Woke up to an empty spring - everyone had left.....

Breakfast - smoked sausages from Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop...

Staging a spring shot!

Paul showed up around 11am and we had coffee and soaked for a few hours - chatting about traveling, riding dirt bikes, girls, God, fighter jets and chem trails....

He left and said he was camping by the racetrack around Lippencott.

Lippencott. After getting pounded by boulders - I was seriously doubting my ability to do Lippencott Grade. I have seen videos of it - and one guy called it a bone yard.

One of the 4x4s guys said he came down it yesterday - and it was the best he’s ever seen. Paul said if the 12 mile washout was a 10 - Lippencott was a 7. I decided to do it - and not miss the Racetrack, and Hunter Mountain....

Did some naked motorcycle maintenance - no photo....

This is what happens when you put some gummy bears in the loft of your tent with an avocado and some earplugs in 95 degree weather...

Fuck you it's magic

Sunset soak

Dinner.

Chilling.

Woke up at 7 - soaked and hit the road. But not before dumping about 8 lbs of food, and only carrying 4 liters. I was way too loaded down - and wanted to secure my load better. With less weight and a better packed bike - I was able to stand and maneuver better than yesterday...

Hit a washout section of the road going 40 and got about 4 feet of air. Scared the shit out of me. Remembered to make good choices and slowed down.

Also - the washboard fucked my gas can holder and I was scared of losing the can.... Roadside fix....

View of the beginning of Lippencott rd.....

[Photo missing]

Made it!

[Photo missing]

Hung out with Paul again before the racetrack. Coffee, girls, God, chem trails....

Went down to the racetrack and snapped a couple photos of the rocks....

[Photo missing]

Teakettle Junction!

[photo missing!]

Realized I was gonna lose the can - and strapped it to the top.

Washboard loosened my speedo - roadside fix....

Road into Hidden valley....

Going up Hunter Mountain.

This is the kind of road I really like. Alpine, graded, smooth, and fast. My bike does really well on roads like this, not so much on the loose gravel or the rock fields....

Panamint Valley!

Joshua Tree forest coming out the South Pass

Cable Car cabin....

Hit 190 and realized I still wanted to ride. Decided to check out the Darwin, Chine Springs, Darwin Falls loop that I remember hearing about. Loaded the track on the GPS and headed that way....

Darwin - ghost-ish mining town...

The track led me down this. WTF.

OK - I’ll give it a shot. It got steep, rocky and narrow but eventually popped me out into this valley. Wicked

And my burger at Panamint Springs.

I ended up missing Chine Springs, and was way too tired to turn around. The road was loose sandy and gravely and honestly I just wanted a bed. I thought Panamint Springs would be a town - but it’s really just a gas station with $6.25 Premium, and a resort. I asked for a room and they said they only had a 2 bd cottage for $140.

I said no to both gas and room and started riding away. I was hungry, tired, thirsty, hot and sunburnt.

Started heading to a cabin about 15 miles away and looked at the track. It looked twisty and dirty and I didn’t have it in me.

I could head North and go to Lone Pine and try my luck there - but I really want to head East to Stovepipe and beyond and didnt want to backtrack....

I ponied up $160 with tax for this sweet room!

At this point, I was so tired I thought it was best for me to get off the road - and I couldnt stand the thought of setting up and breaking camp so I paid for a room and now I’m writing this up, showered, fed, hydrated, and looking forward to this bed.....

No sure where to tomorrow. I heard Goler Wash is gonna be fucked - and I’m not up for another rock field. I may go check out Ballarat, or I may just slab it to Crankshaft Junction to Big Pine. Still undecided but I’ll figure it out over a cup of coffee and a looksee at the map tomorrow.

Also just read up on Roger Pass, Manly Pass, etc and the ride into South Park. I don't think I want to get into that right now. I'd be more comfortable riding it with proper dirt wheels, not supermoto wheels - and not solo. I've been lucky so far not getting a flat or damaging the bike so I'm not going to push it alone....

I may head North and check out the Eastern Sierras, Bridgeport, Carson, the leaves changing colors and 11,000ft passes. No idea.

Stay tuned! I don’t have to be home until October 10th so let’s see where I end up.

Also - got this from a BLM ranger at Burning Man - sewed it on my jacket yesterday...woot!

snohobo screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 05:41 PM
Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Blacknblue
"I'm outa' here."

Oddometer: 1,522
Maybe you could have gotten the government rate!
Blacknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,736
Hmmm... at Panamint, that's the BIG cabin.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womack View Post
How sweet to just stumble upon another ride report from you! I've been wondering what you've been up to lately besides hanging out with hippies.

Great views and a lot of adventure already. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Cold Kombucha waiting when you get back
Hey Womack!

2 posts?! You are the ultimate lurker. Glad I could get you out of your shell.

I'm looking for hippies, found one at the campground last night!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Seriously, not cool. At. All.

Always wondered what motivates someone to screw up a treasure just..."for fun."

Now I know.

Wish I didn't.
Agree here.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Hit the road at around 9:30AM and it was hot. The plan was to head up Emigrants Pass to Stovepipe Wells, then head over Daylight Pass and hit Titus Canyon. That was the plan at least.

Made a right turn after Panamint Springs...

A familiar site now in the park. Everything is "closed". This was the road to Trona.

Decided to go checkout the Minietta Cabin just for kicks. I was thinking of sleeping there last night and I'm glad I didn't the road up was brutal. Reminded me of some of the tougher section of Lippencott. I would have eaten shit had I rode it last night, exhausted, hungry and burnt....

Cabin...

Went back down and headed towards the road to Emigrants...

Watch for washouts....

And they were right, at the times the road was completely washed away.

Got to the top to find this.

Shit.

It actually wasn't locked - just "closed"....

Top of Emigrants...

View of the twisty coming up Emigrants....

Down to Stovepipe....

My plan was to slab it out of the park - other than Titus. Time to head North for a bit....

And slabbing it I did.

Long, boring, straight, loud....

Swung by Ryolite to see what the big deal was about.

Bottle House....

Little Bottle Town

After Ryolite I headed into Titus Canyon.

Talked to a Park Ranger - he said Titus Canyon should be open, no reason I couldnt go down it. Told me to have a good time.

Not sure if he was kidding. But this one was locked for reals....

Decided to head to Beatty for fuel, then slab it to Scotty's Junction, down to Scotty's Castle and then Death Valley road out past the dunes and out to Big Pine....

Found a playa in Nevada that was out on BLM land. Motor vehicles allowed. Took a little squirt out on it.

Saw these burnt out trees coming into Scotty's Castle....

Scotty's is closed now - not sure if that's because out government shut down, or if it's been closed awhile. Took a nice snooze on the grass though.

Out of Scotty's across the valley....

Really glad I topped off in Beatty's - I wasn't prepared for a 75 mile ride out of the park at 4PM.

Oh and of course....

Basically 30 miles of how fast do you want to go....

Pin it and go. 60mph smooth fast hard pack gravel....

Until you reach Crankshaft Crossing....

And go around this mine....

And I'm out of Death Valley.

Rode back to Big Pine. Grabbed my bag of crap that I left there 4 days ago. I was carrying too much crap, and tomorrow morning I'm sending a box of useless stuff home. Dead Spot tracker, journal, water filter, alcohol stove, superfluous clothing, etc...

I'm trying to travel extra light. Feels better on the bike, and easier to pack in the morning. What do I really need other than my camping gear, cash, a kindle and my laptop?

I got some pretty bad poison oak two three weeks ago and it still hasnt gone away. I'm headed to the Bishop Rural CLinic tomorrow for a steroid shot, then who knows. Searching for Hot Springs in the Inyo mountains as I head north to Bridgeport and more.

Found this on a RR so I may take in some of these sights....

Quote:
1) Bodie State Park - extensive mining camp ruins
2) Aurora Cemetary - take the road east from Bodie as you come out of the canyon look for a turn to the right. Stay to the right as you go up the side of the hill, at the creast of the hill will be the cemetary sign on your right and the cemetary is a few 100 yards up the side road.
3) Ruins of Masonic - the old stage road runs from Masonic over to Bodie. Neat way in is to take the Bodie-Wellinfton highway. At the Elbow tiurn right onto the dirt road and after crossing the river look for a small sign on your right marking the Masonic Road. Also check out Masonic Peak, should be able to get the GS up there by it's service road that forks off the Bridgeport Canyon Road.
4) To the north, on US50 east of Carson City you can pick up the old Pony Express trail along the river, out past old Fort Churchill and on out to US95
5) South to Bishop, a few miles out of town on US6 is Laws and a great museum.
6) Any dirt roads in the June Lake/Mammoth area
7) If you are a western movie buff, south of Bishop is the Alabama Hills were all the old Hopalong Cassidy, Randolf Scott and 100s of other westerns were filmed.
8) The dirt roads up behind the USMC MWTC on 108.
9) A lunch at Walker Burger
10) A dinner at the Sportsman iun Bridgeport, the resturant at the south end of town serves a great breakfast.
11) Be ready for $4 a gallon gas - its always $0.75-$1 a gallon out there.
12) Lunch at the Mobil at the intersection of 395 and Tioga Pass.
13) CA SR 120 from 395 over to US6 - has a long section of big roller coaster hills, but watch out for the 90 degree turn in the valley of one of those rollers about half way through.

14) Bircham Flat Road - dirt road that parallels 395 from Sonora Junction to Walker.
15) Risue Pass Road - crosses the northern shoulder of the Sweetwaters, runs along Desert Creek for several miles and lets you reach other roads through the Sweetwaters. BTW snow still blocks the summit of Mt Patterson so you wont be able to get up there.

snohobo screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:07 PM