User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
revrandy OP
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 229
Why do hornets love my bike?

For some reason hornets seem to love my bike. When I come back to it, they are buzzing around. Doesn't matter if it is sitting for 3 minutes or 3 hours. Lately even stopping at traffic lights is enough to bring the little "darlings" out and have them buzz around.

Is it because it is red? Or because remnants of their kinfolk are mashed into the windshield, headlight's etc.?

More importantly what can I do to make the bike less attractive?

Signed,
Allergic to them bastards.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Is it because it is red? Or because remnants of their kinfolk are mashed into the windshield, headlight's etc.?
It's the kinfolk. You'll see them buzzing around the front of bug splatter cars/trucks as well.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
DudeClone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
they think its a Honda and are trying to take it back!!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,586
I have this problem too. My bike is also bright red. And they buzz around it even when it is spotless, right after a wash, so I'm not so sure it's the other smashed bugs.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Hornets/Wasps hanging around

From an observation vs scientific position I'm thinking the smashed bug thing has something to do with it. Even washing a bike might not get all of the bug scent particles off of it.
I made the mistake of swatting a wasp with one of my favorite caps I wore when mowing and can't wear it now without wasps hanging around it. My guess would be that the dying wasp released some kind of bug juice that others respond to. Moral of story is, use your buddies cap to swat wasps!
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
They like the smell of smashed bugs, blood and fresh meat too. Butchering elk/deer this time of year can try your patience..
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,050
They like my blue bike also. But the one they liked the most was the bright red one. Big year for hornets in the Yukon/Alaska in 91, leaving the bike for just a few minutes and had to suit up before I even got close to it again.

Spray with wasp/hornet blaster???? Does have residual effects. That's how I keep them away from the patio, hang a rag in the center and spray it with blaster. Lots of them in BC this year.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
revrandy OP
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I have this problem too. My bike is also bright red. And they buzz around it even when it is spotless, right after a wash, so I'm not so sure it's the other smashed bugs.
Despite you having the same problem with a washed bike, I don't think it is the red colour. This morning I wiped off the windshield, headlight, back of mirrors/handguards etc. of bug guts and then headed out. No wasps. I will be out all afternoon on it, will see if the no wasps thing holds out.

I washed the bike in 2012, does this mean I have to do it more often to keep the nasty buggers at bay? Who knew!
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Down here in Florida it's Love Bug season. In addition to the joy of their little bodies writhing in death throes on your visor (or is it death throes?... those little buggars are still joined, if you know what I mean), they seem to cover a parked bike. My girlfriend's CB500F seems to just draw them like a magnet. Coming out of a convenience store last weekend, her white bike almost looked black; I had to swat them off of it so she could remount and we could get on our way.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo15 View Post
Down here in Florida it's Love Bug season. In addition to the joy of their little bodies writhing in death throes on your visor (or is it death throes?... those little buggars are still joined, if you know what I mean), they seem to cover a parked bike. My girlfriend's CB500F seems to just draw them like a magnet. Coming out of a convenience store last weekend, her white bike almost looked black; I had to swat them off of it so she could remount and we could get on our way.
these buggers are drawn to the color white! few years back, while scuba diving, we set up a white canopy for some shade, we were covered with lovebugs!

from the wikipedia on them.
Quote:
Lovebug adults are attracted to light-colored surfaces, especially if they are freshly painted, but adults congregate almost anywhere apparently reacting to the effects of sunlight on automobile fumes, asphalt, and other products affected by environmental factors still not completely understood.[2]
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
UrsaMobili
Left Coast Expat

Oddometer: 57
Talking Similar experience here

I had the same experience. Bike has yellow beak and tank, and seemed like magnet for wasps and bees. Then I noticed the same with my helmet, which is not yellow. Went through the wash exercise and as non-scientific observation can state the following:
-bug guts and matter - magnet,
-water rinse the bike - same as above,
-bike wash or wiping the bug remains - little improvement. Varying, from no effect with the scented spray-ons to moderate, with heavy washing with car-wash detergent. You still can't get everything out.
-best results, so far - wash the bike, spray with mixture vinegar/water, leave for few minutes, rinse throughout.
NOTE: For the curious - I use 50/50 solution, red wine vinegar, that's what I have handy.
Disclaimer: Don't know the effect on paint, rubber or wires - works for me, so far. Don't know the efficiency of other type or brand vinegars. Don't know if the mixture is optimal.

PS. Another anecdotal observation.
After a ride in heavy rain or some backcountry exploration with good mud splash it seems the wasps don't like it anymore, for awhile.
(maybe it's the "sandblast effect")

UrsaMobili screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 10:40 AM Reason: more thoughts
UrsaMobili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Wasps are attracted to the warmth. Wax that uses tree resin or perfumes may also attract.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
This time of year the flowers and nectar die off and the wasps and hornets turn carnivorous. Makes them more aggressive too.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,613
Wasps show an attractant response to color http://www.rescue.com/visilure but it is the smell of dead bugs that bring them to your motorcycle. They eat meat. You don't get all the little bits of dead insects removed after washing. There is plenty left to bring them on.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 207
Riders, riders, think about it . . .they mob your steak, hamburgers and ribs this time of year too. Try cleaning ducks grouse or deer in warmish weather. They are looking for protein meals to stock up their young to overwinter. They definately seek out other insects or meat as forage. That stinger is not just to irritate us but to kill or stun prey. they are very important natural pest control agents. They go after mashed bugs on bumpers and face shields of all color bikes but maybe some colors more than others.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote