Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #61
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
Yeah, they are little orange ones in front and either red or orange ones in back...
Ahh! I see you are confused about the topic.

You sir/madam are talking about turn signals. The OP and seems like everyone else here are talking about flashing or modulating their headlight as a means of communication with other riders.

A turn signal is designed to flash and communicate with other drivers using a well established and enforced set of rules.

Since a headlight's primary function is to provide illumination (and awareness of motorcycles since 1986). There are no established and enforced set of rules regarding flashing your headlights (in the US), hence leaving any such "colloquial rules of the road" open to vast interpretation, resulting in the confusion and almost incident that the OP of this thread told us about.
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #62
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
crap what is this idiot flashing their lights trying to tell me.
usually to slow down. unless they've seen this thread, then they're telling you to quit driving.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #63
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,538
Quote:
Ahh! I see you are confused about the topic.

You sir/madam are talking about turn signals. The OP and seems like everyone else here are talking about flashing or modulating their headlight as a means of communication with other riders.

A turn signal is designed to flash and communicate with other drivers using a well established and enforced set of rules.

Since a headlight's primary function is to provide illumination (and awareness of motorcycles since 1986). There are no established and enforced set of rules regarding flashing your headlights (in the US), hence leaving any such "colloquial rules of the road" open to vast interpretation, resulting in the confusion and almost incident that the OP of this thread told us about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I thought people in Texas were smarter than that.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #64
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Old 09-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #65
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
wow, I guess I really struck a nerve with some of the more thin skinned people on this forum.

Personal attacks and everything

From your first post on page 1:

Quote:
who the hell flashes their headlight to other traffic? This is a stupid thing.
And your second post:

Quote:
quite a lot, how about your self?

care to site any law where this idiotic behavior is actually documented in the united states. Otherwise, your just adding to the confusion.

flashed twice, ok to pass, 3 times, not ok to pass, Hell lets just start doing morsecode to the other drivers "morsing while driving"

Idiots the lot of you who do this.
CA Vehicle Code Section 21753:
21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

From the PA drivers handbook:
If a vehicle using high beams comes toward you, flash your high beams quickly a few times.

Since apparently only things codified by law exist in your world, there you have it (and, no, I won't search all 50 states). Which explains why you don't realize you're being a douchebag - it hasn't been codified in the Texas code yet. But it probably should.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #66
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Riding around on a newer, modern bike with the high-beam on during the day rates right up there on the annoying meter with the modulator.

An old bike with shitty headlight, sure, I understand. And that's where the practice came from. A newer bike's high-beam is too f-ing intense for that shite. It just pisses people off. Including other motorcyclists!
And ironically, high beam users bitch the loudest about the actions of others..........including not using turn signals..........but conveniently ignore the fact their turn signals cant be seen because of their high intensity high beams.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #67
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
From your first post on page 1:

And your second post:

CA Vehicle Code Section 21753:
21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

From the PA drivers handbook:
If a vehicle using high beams comes toward you, flash your high beams quickly a few times.

Since apparently only things codified by law exist in your world, there you have it (and, no, I won't search all 50 states). Which explains why you don't realize you're being a douchebag - it hasn't been codified in the Texas code yet. But it probably should.

Finally someone with enough balls to actually cite a law instead of inane name calling.

Now, on to the "flash to yield right of way to oncoming traffic", the original impetus of this thread if i recall?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #68
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Speling Nazzis are a bunch of loosers.

Totally moranic. Or is it moranal?

Perhaps the forum Modulator will indeed moove this thread to the basement.

[Hitler] Nazi [/Hitler]

Also, remind me never to go to Houston.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #69
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

He has mirrors and is considered a professional driver. He and he alone is responsible for his vehicle.
When pulling a 53', double, or triple trailers, the rear of your vehicle is far enough back that it is hard to accurately judge when you are clear to merge, mirrors have limitations, as such a responsible driver will take additional time and distance to safely merge.

It's universally recognized by professional drivers that flashing an overtaking vehicle is a signal they are clear to merge in front of you, flashing an oncoming vehicle on surface streets you are yielding to them, and flashing oncoming vehicles on divided highways is a warning of a hazard.
It's a professional courtesy between drivers to minimize their negative impact on other motorists and improve safety.

Running and marker lights on semi trucks are switched separately, and there are often additional momentary switches to simplify flashing the lights.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #70
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
[Hitler] Nazi [/Hitler]

Also, remind me never to go to Houston.

I am told it is a concrete swamp.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #71
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 110
Hi, My name is Dave, and I have a modulator

Yeah, I bought a used KLR and the previous owner had installed a modulator. The dealer didn't tell me (or know) and I didn''t notice it on the test ride. So I'm riding home from the dealer and people are staring at me at intersections. I'm thinking, "Damn, this KLR is getting some fine attention!"

I get home and my girlfriend comes out to see the new bike. I fire it up and give her a good listen to that impressive KLR exhaust note. She looks at me and says, "Why are your headlights flashing"?

I found out how to disable it.

I'm glad I didn't remove it completely. If I ever go through Houston, I'll turn it back on and cause some havoc.
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #72
CRP6001
Photographer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
when pulling a 53', double, or triple trailers, the rear of your vehicle is far enough back that it is hard to accurately judge when you are clear to merge, mirrors have limitations, as such a responsible driver will take additional time and distance to safely merge.

It's universally recognized by professional drivers that flashing an overtaking vehicle is a signal they are clear to merge in front of you, flashing an oncoming vehicle on surface streets you are yielding to them, and flashing oncoming vehicles on divided highways is a warning of a hazard.
It's a professional courtesy between drivers to minimize their negative impact on other motorists and improve safety.

Running and marker lights on semi trucks are switched separately, and there are often additional momentary switches to simplify flashing the lights.
+1
CRP6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #73
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I've been turning on my 4 ways for lane splitting...it really helps at night on a black bike, they give me the extra room that I really need on a Goldwing. Modulators just confuse everybody.
Don't get in a wreck when using your 4 ways for lane splitting because it is illegal in California and just as goofy and annoying as headlight modulators .
See VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25250-25282
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #74
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Riding around on a newer, modern bike with the high-beam on during the day rates right up there on the annoying meter with the modulator.

An old bike with shitty headlight, sure, I understand. And that's where the practice came from. A newer bike's high-beam is too f-ing intense for that shite. It just pisses people off. Including other motorcyclists!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #75
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Don't get in a wreck when using your 4 ways for lane splitting because it is illegal in California and just as goofy and annoying as headlight modulators .
See VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25250-25282

Only at night, it helps and I'll do what I damn well please.