Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #76
JonU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
Finally someone with enough balls to actually cite a law instead of inane name calling.

Now, on to the "flash to yield right of way to oncoming traffic", the original impetus of this thread if i recall?
The flashing to yield right of way more than likely came from the rscing world. If you were to take the time to sit down and watch some endurance racing uou would probably see it. In the ALMS there can be 3 or possibly 4 classes of car with widely differing speeds. Yes, each class runs a different color headlight but you will still see drivers in the faster classes flash drivers of cars in a slower class to make sure that said driver knows they have a faster car approaching.

What I don't understand is the incessant trolling you are doing. I understood what it meant a long time ago when people would flash their lights at me. Heck, I knew what it meant before I could drive. If they flash their lights as they approach it's one of two things: either I have my brights on and am blinding them, or there is a hazard ahead.

If somebody flashes their lights as they approach from behind, then I need to move over and let them by since they are moving faster and I shouldn't be cruising in the left lane; wait a second, I forgot, we are in the states, I'm entitled to the left lane and anyone wanting by should pass on the right. After all I shouldn't have to move over right?

Come to a stop sign at the same time as another? Flash the lights to signal that you are yielding right of way.

All of these are commonly understood by nearly anyone that drives. The only exception I could see is the flash to pass. But even that isn't hard to wrap your brain around. If you choose not to use them, that's fine, but to deny the existence of these signals because they aren't written is being ignorant.

Do you say unwritten social rules don't exist either or that they are wrong because it isn't written as law?

Hmmm,
Troll: 1 Me: 0
This got way longer than I intended.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #77
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Isorg is the kind of jackass that sits in the left lane driving real slow with a line of cars behind him flashing their high beams while he wonders what they're trying to tell him.
He doesn't appear to be able to use written English very well, so why would we expect him to understand how the rest of us can signal each other with lights?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #78
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Adding additional meanings to one signal is always going to cause confusion. In this case, flashing your headlight often has a given meaning in the road rules of a given state/nation. Here it's a warning that you are there, the visual equivalent of sounding the horn. Adding an additional possible meaning, that you are giving way to another road user/telling them they have room to pull out/asking them to make you a cup of coffee, is stupid in the extreme and very likely to get people killed. It's no different than saying you use your left turn signal to indicate you're turning right, because "that's how you use it".
The majority of road users don't do this, just a few "special" people.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #79
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
Adding additional meanings to one signal is always going to cause confusion.
Context.

The contexts are so different that the meaning is very clear except to people who have not observed the signals that go on around them.

This is very generally observed in North America. May not apply to Australia.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #80
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Context.

The contexts are so different that the meaning is very clear
+1

I knew the etiquette before I could drive, just from watching what was going on while I was riding in my parents' car.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #81
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 568V8 View Post
I believe that my chances of survival are better if drivers see me.
Stealth works for me. They can't hit what they can't see.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #82
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
He doesn't appear to be able to use written English very well, so why would we expect him to understand how the rest of us can signal each other with lights?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #83
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
To all my "haters" if all you got is is grammar and spelling insults.....

Now I am off to work, I will be diving in the left hand lane driving 10 under and flashing my headlights thus informing the people behind me to go around.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #84
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 200
Are modulators the "loud pipes" of the optical world?

There's only one country where I saw modulators being used: USA. Loud pipes, unfortunately, are a more universally spread disease.

And yes, here in South America flashing your lights at an intersection also means "go ahead, I'll wait".

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #85
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
its a big thing in other countries
Known as a "light horn" globally.

I too had a modulator but took it out after a few seasons.

I then added driving lights to achieve the triangle effect mentioned by another poster, worked nicely without confusion.

As one of my riding mates said after a night run with him in the lead, my bike looked like a locomotive catching up to him!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #86
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Only at night, it helps and I'll do what I damn well please.
Using four way flashers in CA is illegal at any time you are moving.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #87
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Now having 3 properly adjusted front lights.
Please elaborate, i haven't seen anything official about pointing head lights.

P.S. as i typed this i realized i might soud like an a$$ho7e and that is not my intent. i really would like to get my lights correct especially for night travel.

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #88
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
Wrong on what?

That flashing your lights is a stupid way of communicating intent to other drivers? That this method of communicating has resulted in more incidents and near misses than would of happened if both parties would have followed the actual rules of the road rather than make up crap as they see fit.

how should we communicate the information that is intended with the flash of head lights?

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #89
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Known as a "light horn" globally.
It says "passing light" on my bike's light horn. "Lichthupe" is the German term.

Very useful tool. In India, Pakistan and other countries in that area a truck won't let you pass unless you either horn (daytime) or blink your high beams at them (night time). If you don't do that, they just assume you ride their wake.

If you signal that you want to pass, they will let you know when it is safe to do so. Or rather when they think it is!

If you want to pass and there is traffic coming towards you, just start passing and blink your high beams. If oncoming traffic reciprocates, everyone will make sure there is enough room for 3 on the road...

I wish we were so flexible
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #90
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
You cannot depend on others seeing you. They pull out in front of dump trucks every fookin' day so you've not a chance. Ride like there's a price on your head and you may just live longer.