User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Homey OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Why do they do that?

I was on my way home from work today on the hwy with two south bound lanes cruising in my spyder at about 75 (in a 70). I was on the car because the GSXR is in the hospital. Anyway I came upon about 15 guys on cruisers, they looked to be in a club because they were all hearing the same leather jacket with some patches on the back I didn't bother to read. Anyway they were almost all in the fast lane going about 70 and making everyone pass them on the right.

As I moved to the right to pass the group I notice one bike in the slow lane so they've effectively taken up the whole freeway. As I approached the lead rider motioned for that rider to move over and he did before I had to hit the brakes. That was nice so I waved thanks as I passed them on the right.

So, the question is: Why do they do that????? Isn't slower traffic supposed to be in the right lane? It's not a huge deal, just very slightly annoying. Maybe some of you guys who ride in huge packs might enlighten me.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
When I'm out riding I like the middle lanes because you can usually see better. Plus around here the roads in the middle are in way better condition than the lane by the curb, so smoother, safer ride. I don't hold up other traffic though. I think that is one of the worse sins a driver can make.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
If the traffic in the RH lane is NOT holding you up, I think keeping to the left is dangerous. I usually try to keep just a little faster than the traffic (feels safer to me) so I am usually in the left lane, but if traffic comes up behind I move over well before they have to hit the brakes or move over to the right.
Maybe an Entitlement thing..U aint passing me!!!

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Sheep have low IQ's.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,462
They may do that for comfort....here in BC the right hand lane is often bumpier from normal wear and truck traffic. Left hand lane is always much smoother.

Less traffic here for sure but I drive/ride the left hand lane when I can. Sure did on I-5 a couple weeks back, long day before and was looking for comfort not bumps every few hundred feet.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Why do they do that?
Because they can.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Because they're douche bags.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Homey OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Comfort? Maybe if they didn't ride hardtails... Wouldn't the courteous thing to do is ride/drive in the slow lane if you are going slower than the slow of traffic.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Wouldn't the courteous thing to do is ride/drive in the slow lane if you are going slower than the slow of traffic.
If you're not a douche bag , yes. They're as bad as bicycles and their entitlement bullshit.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,965
Since they are incapable of keeping up with the flow of traffic, and feel that the space between the first and last bike in "formation" is "sovereign territory" (I shit you not; I've actually been told that!), they ride slow in the fast lane to avoid disruptions of their happy place.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Depending on the group, it is perceived as some sign of disrespect if you pass these slow moving parades.

true story,

few years back while traveling from Houston to Colorado me and a friend ran up on a group of bandildos traveling in a small parade about 8 of them.

After gassing up in a small west Texan town, we ran into these guys again on the other side of town a little ways down the road. We were moving at a much faster speed than they were, and I caught up with them at the start of a passing zone (dashed yellow line) and a very LONG right hand sweeper.

I activated the warp drive and got past them, but right when i was starting the pass the guy in the rear he swung out crossed the dashed yellow and tried to block me. While i got past, my friend behind me didn't. my friend (who was talking on the scala) starts yelling, and had to shut things down really hard. The guy in the rear didn't pass, and was just blocking her from passing. she finally got around this blocking maneuver, he told her they were #1, I guess and we should have not passed them.

so to answer your question on why? because they are douche bags.
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Wow--they really do see it as appropriate (see no. 15): http://www.warthogsmc.com/Documents/GroupRiding.pdf
genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Since they are incapable of keeping up with the flow of traffic, and feel that the space between the first and last bike in "formation" is "sovereign territory" (I shit you not; I've actually been told that!), they ride slow in the fast lane to avoid disruptions of their happy place.
This...

Basically, they can maintain group integrity in the left lane.

If they ride in the right lane, they'll have more trouble with people breaking up the group at entrance and exit ramps.

Gotta maintain that group integrity!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
I love to watch bikers go by and try to figure them out. There is a lot of information to work with- bikers are by nature exhibitionists of one kind or another. Trying to classify them requires many classifications. The group dynamic can get really weird too. Get a lot of motorcyclists together and moving, and there can be some strange energy. Today I was getting new tires on my wife's car, and I just sat out on a concrete wall and watched the motorcycles passing by on Main Street. Mostly black Harley touring bikes, or lookalikes. Imitation leather side bags with silver spangles. Big bikes with big people on them.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Big bikes with big people on them.
Hogs on hogs
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote